Saucy Bread Bowl
  Re: (...)
Here is something I cooked up last week that I finally decided to put down on paper and enter into MC. We had it in small bread bowls. It was a kind of clean out the refrigerator type thing.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tomatoes with Peppers and Sausage

Recipe By : Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fruits-Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 slices bacon
1 small onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
3 medium banana peppers, seeded -- chopped in large pieces
salt and pepper -- to taste
4 large tomatoes -- cut in wedges
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika (1 to 2 tsps)
2 large Polish sausage links -- cut in 1/2" rings

Cut bacon in small pieces and cook until almost crisp over moderate heat; add chopped onion and garlic cooking until onion is golden; add peppers, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste cooking until peppers begin to give up their juices.

Add the tomatoe wedges and cook until the ingredients have given up their juices. Sprinkle with the paprika and cook down until almost saucy. Add the sausage rings and cook a few minutes longer.

Serve over plain rice or with a good crusty bread or in a bread bowl.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Saucy Bread Bowl by bjcotton (Here is something I ...)
Now that sounds really yummy! Did you make the bread bowls, Billy. I've never actually seen them in the store. Well, I suppose you could cut the top 1/3 off of a bakery roll..... Anyway, I'll bet it was good.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saucy Bread Bowl by Mare749 (Now that sounds real...)
There is an upscale grocery called Haggens a short distance from Marilee's and they have all kinds of rustic bread baked in the store. We buy a small round for the bowls. You can beef [so to speak] this stuff up with green olives, etc., if you like. I was going to use the kalamata olives this last time, but they're really salty, so I didn't. Bet they'd taste good though, probably even the ole pimiento stuffed olives would be good.

Billy
  Re: Re: Saucy Bread Bowl by bjcotton (There is an upscale ...)
sounds good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saucy Bread Bowl by cjs (sounds good!! [img]/...)
Today I am using sour dough bread bowls, red bell peppers, celery, chicken & basil sausages from Costco, Oretega chopped green chiles and I added 4 Roma tomatoes cut in wedges and a can of crushed tomatoes in puree with basil and oregano...low-sodium. I bought a large jalapeno to put in there instead of the chopped green chiles, but when I got it home it had rotted on the inside. I also added lemon zest to brighten the flavors. Pepper, but no salt. Smells heavenly.

Billy
  Re: Re: Saucy Bread Bowl by bjcotton (Today I am using sou...)
Oh my goodness! This is even better than when I fixed it the first time. That can of chopped green peppers, however, made it quite spicy. Have to figure out something else for Fredia to eat.

Billy