Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce
  Re: (...)
I can't believe I never told you all about this one. Great summer dish!!
2 large English cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4 inch slices (4 cups).
7 T unsalted butter , room temp.

1 T plus 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/8 t white pepper
6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves

1 t olive oil
1 C chicken stock

1 C whipping cream
2 T plus 1 t fresh lemon juice
2 T minced fresh dill

Place cukes in colander--sprinkle with salt and toss--drain for 1 hour. Pat dry. Melt 3 T butter in heavy large skillet over med heat. Add cuke and saute until just brown--7 min.--set aside
In small cup, mix 1 T flour and 1 T butter to smooth paste. Set aside.
Place remaining 1/2 C flour in shallow baking dish. Add white pepper and season with salt. Coat chicken with flour mixture an shake off excess.

Melt remaining 3 T butter with oil in another heavy large skillet over high heat. Add chicken breasts and saute until brown, abt 2 min/side. Add 1/2 C stock, reduce heat to med, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked thru, abou 4 min. Transfer chicken to platter

Add remaining 1/2 cup stock to same skillet. Increase heat to high and boil until reduced to 1/4 cup--abt 3 min. Add cream and bring to a boil. Whisk in flour butter paste--return to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened to sauce consistency, stirring frequently.(abt 2 min) Stir in lemon juice and 1 T dill. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Add chicken and cukes to sauce and heat thru. Transfer chicken to plates and spoon sauce and cukes over. Sprinkle with remaining dill. I like to make extra sauce and serve the dish over spinach linguine. Serves 6.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce by Old Bay (I can't believe I ne...)
Thanx for this post. We've been trying to make use of the cukes out of the garden (we've been giving many away) and this sounds heavenly!
  Re: Re: Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce by HomeCulinarian (Thanx for this post....)
Bill, this sounds really good - will wait till we're out of the California sun before I make this tho duly copied!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce by Old Bay (I can't believe I ne...)
Oh yum Bill, can't wait to try this. Not big dill fans here (except pickles), any suggestions for a different herb that would work in this?
Oh and I bet this would work with Salmon too. I'm going to have fun with this!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce by farnfam (Oh yum Bill, can't w...)
cis, there are so many herbs that could replace the dill - basil, cilantro, mint, fennel, chives.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce by cjs (cis, there are so ma...)
Your idea about the fennel really appeals to me. Maybe with a splash of Pernod.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce by Old Bay (Your idea about the ...)
Pernod - oh yeah!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce by cjs (Pernod - oh yeah!...)
I love the idea of cucumbers, but cannot eat them. But I will try this, maybe it will work for me. Many thanks.
  Re: Re: Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce by Old Bay (Your idea about the ...)
I had to look up Pernod on the web... never used it and now I'm curious about it. What else do you use it for?
  Re: Re: Chicken Breasts in Cucumber, Lemon Sauce by HomeCulinarian (I had to look up Per...)
Here's some ideas for using Pernod - I use quite often in sauces.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/find/r...d&x=15&y=8

and here's a good one!

LINGUINE WITH CLAMS IN SPICY PERNOD SAUCE

24 small hard-shelled clams such as littleneck or Manila, well scrubbed
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, coarsely crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 large plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons Pernod
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
12 oz dried linguine
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Heat a deep 12-inch heavy skillet (not nonstick) over high heat until a bead of water dropped on cooking surface evaporates immediately.

Add clams and fennel seeds, then cover skillet and cook, shaking skillet, until clam shells are lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add oil and toss to coat clams.

Stir in scallions, garlic, and tomatoes, then sauté, stirring, until tomatoes begin to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine, water, Pernod, and red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Cover and steam clams, shaking skillet occasionally, until they open, 7 to 10 minutes. (Discard any unopened ones.)

While clams are steaming, cook linguine in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain in a colander.

Add linguine, butter, and parsley to clams and toss over low heat until pasta is coated with sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

Gourmet
Sugar and Spice
July 2000
Tracy McGillis, San Francisco, CA
www.achefsjourney.com