Pimento question
  Re: (...)
I am making the Pimento Cheese and Bacon burgers. Thought I had a jar of pimento's, but it is a jar of fire roasted red peppers. I am not that familiar with pimentos vs red peppers...is there going to be a big difference? Will I be missing out - I can hold off a day and make it tomorrow after going to the store.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Pimento question by esgunn (I am making the Pime...)
I never really thought about it Erin. They are different peppers is about all I know. Don't they make paprika from the pimientos? Well I just checked Wikipedia and it says paprika is made from sweet red bell peppers that are dried and ground.

This is what it says about pimientos:
The flesh of the sweet pimento is sweet, succulent and more aromatic than that of the red bell pepper.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pimento question by bjcotton (I never really thoug...)
Thanks Billy, Due to uncertainty and situations unexpected ( kids throwing sand at each other and one child with sand in his eyes right when I was getting ready to make dinner...) I decided to hold off until Thursday (dh is working tomorrow night) and buy pimentos. Will let you know.

Still would appreciate any additional thoughts on this one.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I use them interchangably at work, Erin. Sometimes the can says pimentoes, sometimes roasted red pepper. Kind of hard to get dinner on the table during a sandstorm, isn't it

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Pimento question by pjcooks (I use them interchan...)
When I made these Erin, I probably used roasted red peppers, only because I love roasting them and the flavor - boy, did we like these! I hope you have some leftover topping, it's great used for twice-baked potatoes! (but, there is only two of us...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pimento question by cjs (When I made these E...)
Interesting, I had always thought pimento and roasted red bell peppers were the same, but never sure.

Lunch. 1/2 yellow and red pepper each. Raw and sliced into thickish slices. Bread, buttered with salted butter, a strong bread, rye, heavy wholemeal. One bite of pepper, one bite of bread. No dressing, no fuss. Delicious.
  Re: Re: Pimento question by vannin (Interesting, I had a...)
I can appreciate that meal, Dale! When tomatoes are ripe, I'll mayo a couple of slices of oatmeal bread and head out to the "garden" with a knife and a pepper mill.

Pure heaven.

PJ
PJ
From the Science-Technology encyclopedia comes this definition: "The pimento is a red, heart-shaped sweet pepper with thick, sweet red flesh and is a fruit. It is also more commonly known as a "cherry pepper". The pimento is sweeter, more succulent and more aromatic than the red bell pepper. The pimento, or cherry pepper, is from a different family than the red bell pepper. The leaves and berries of the fruit yield essential oils which are used for flavorings with the most common one we know being Benedictine. Pimentos are mainly used for pickling and relishes. The legend of the pimento being placed in the olive is said to have been started way back by a chef-farmer who wanted to decrease the intensity of bitterness of olives, and to neutralize the acidity of the olive."

Hummmm....One learns something every day! Not only did we find out about pimentos, we now know where Benedictine comes from! Who knew!?
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Pimento question by vannin (Interesting, I had a...)
Quote:

Lunch. 1/2 yellow and red pepper each... Bread, buttered with salted butter, a strong bread, rye, heavy wholemeal. One bite of pepper, one bite of bread. No dressing, no fuss. Delicious.

Dale, if you enjoy roasted red peppers, try those on some nice crusty bread. When we make the roasted peppers, we put some red pepper flakes, thinly sliced garlic and cover with some extra virgin olive oil. Keep in the frig. Place some peppers on your bread and enjoy! Simple and yummy! We have this as a "sandwich" for lunch.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Pimento question by MUSICMAKER (From the Science-Tec...)
And now we know why those pimento pieces are inserted into those green olives!! Thanks for the infor!

PJ
PJ