A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE!
  Re: (...)
We had this cake for breakfast/brunch today. It's more than the usual "yellow cake" that gets hidden under a crumb topping and streusel swirl. It's also quite versitile, with its entire appearance changing by the different glazes you can make for it. If you didn't know it, you would think it was a whole different cake. I'm sure if any of you have your own icings that would compliment the pecan flavored cake, the variety could be endless, such as a caramel sauce for a pecan sundae-type taste! Here's the recipe.

NUTTIEST PECAN SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE

Yield: 1 bundt cake, serves 12-16

STREUSEL

1/2 CUP pecans, toasted, cooled, and finely ground
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine the nuts, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.

1 cup butter, unsalted, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, room temp
6 large eggs
1-3/4 cups sour cream
1/4 cup maple syrup
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup pecans, toasted, cooled, finely ground
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Place oven rack to the lowest position and preheat oven to 350.

PREPARATION:

1. Grease a 12 cup bundt pan with butter and set aside.
2. whisk eggs, sour cream, maple syrup and vanilla together in a medium bowl.
3. With electric mixer, mix flour, pecans, sugar, baking power and soda, and salt on lowest speed, until combined.
4. Add the room temperature butter and half of the egg mixture. Beat on lowest speed until mixture starts to come together, about 15 seconds.
5. Scrape down sides of bowl and add remaining egg mixture. Beat on medium until batter is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, making sure you scrape down sides of bowl after 1 minute.
6. Add 5 cups of batter to the prepared B undt pan, using a rubber spatula to smooth out the surface.
7. Sprinkle streusel evenly over the batter and then cover with the remaining batter, spreading it out evenly.
8. Bake until skewet inserted into middle of cake comes out with a few crumbs on it, about 60 minutes.
9. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes before inverting it onto a wire rack to cool.
10. Cool cake completely before glazing, about 1 hour.
11. Drizzle glaze over top of cake using a fork or whisk. Slice and serve.

Place ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.

TROPICAL ORANGE
1 cup 10x
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice or premium quality orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange zest

1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

BAKING NOTES: Because the nuts are added directly to the cake batter, they must be ground very finely. Use the food processor to grind the nuts after they have been toasted and completely cooled. Process until they are sandy, but be careful to not over process them or they will form a paste and clump.

STORAGE: The finished cake can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temp for 3 days. For even longer storage, wrap the cooled cake, UNglazed, in two layers of plastic wrap and one layer of foil and freeze for several weeks. Defrost the wrapped cake overnight on the countertop, glaze and serve when ready to serve.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE! by MUSICMAKER (We had this cake for...)
Sounds yummy. I will be trying this one for sure!
  Re: Re: A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE! by HomeCulinarian (Sounds yummy. I wil...)
Sounds wonderful! One question -

"3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon"

Should that be 4 T. dark brown sugar total or is one of those granulated sugar?

I can't remember the last time I made a coffee cake for brunch - kind of like stratas, we all got away from them after overdoing it years ago!! You guys are going to get me back into making them, I'm thinking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE! by cjs (Sounds wonderful! On...)
Oooppp's. Thanks, Jean for catching that! Things have been crazy, crazy here, with the move and my son getting married. Wake me when it's over! (hummm, no icon for "pulling one's hair out! What's up with that??!!)

Will re-do the streusel below. (Not sure if this is how to make a correction or if another post should be started for this???)

STREUSEL

1/2 cup pecans,toasted, cooled, ground fine
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Thankis!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE!--CORRECTION! by MUSICMAKER (Oooppp's. Thanks, J...)
"with the move and my son getting married." -by the way, how did your move go? Are you pretty much settle in? And now a wedding????

When we moved out to Illinois from California, two weeks later we had to turn around and come back for one of our son's weddings - thot we'd never get settled. good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE!--CORRECTION! by cjs ("with the move and m...)
Yes, the oldest got married right in the middle of this moving. Glad it's over -- both! Still have some unpacking, boxes that can wait. Now fighting with the moving company for the damage they did to the dining room set. Took a gouge, a ditch is more like it! -- that runs from one end of the table to the other and they broke the glass shelved for the hutch, the grooved ones, of course, and also the side panes of glass. A lso gouged out the fron doors which are like frames for the glass that make the doors. Don't kno w how they are going to repair this like they say they can, to match. Like sonebody said earlier, it's nice that we pay these guys to destroy our belongings!!!

Anyway, made sure the kitchen was up and running first and foremost! After all, it is the "heart" of the home, right!?

Made the cake for my son's wedding, which was nice. He was able to get the cake they wanted -- this white chocolate raspberry with white chocolate buttercream frosting. Unbelievable what the shops charge for these things! Don't know how these kids today can afford to get married. Also made them this HUGE dessert table, everything from decorated sugar cookies to triple chocolate truffles! Yummy! There was something there for everyone! The chocolate fondues were a great hit, too!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE!--CORRECTION! by MUSICMAKER (Yes, the oldest got ...)
Here's to some time to relax after such big life events.

You are amazing to have time to create and bake for the sweets table at the wedding in the middle of moving. Please post some pictures if you can.
  Re: Re: A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE!--CORRECTION! by MUSICMAKER (Yes, the oldest got ...)
You did all this during the move? That had to be just crazy, moving is hard enough! You must be very glad that's over. Hope you enjoyed your son's wedding. The cake and dessert table sound wonderful. Maybe you would be willing to post a pic?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE!--CORRECTION! by Mare749 (You did all this dur...)
Wow, what a feat you pulled off! Now, you can rest on your laurels for a while...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A REALLY "NUTTY" CAKE!--CORRECTION! by HomeCulinarian (Here's to some time ...)
No, amazing isn't the word...crazy is! Will post some pix as soon as they come back. Don't have one of the new camera's yet so off to the developer a dozen or so rolls of film went.

Buon Appetito!

Linda