Gazpacho
  Re: (...)
I'm charged with making gazpacho for a dozen for tomorrow, which I'll make today. My favorite recipe (and my first culinary disaster) is from the old NYTimes Craig Clairborne cookbook, which calls for raw eggs. I'm looking to avoid the raw eggs and I'm contemplating bread crumbs to give it a little body. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm going to make it today so it can sit overnight and mellow out.

If anyone is wondering about my disaster, I looked at a clove of garlic and said this little thing? only one? nah, must be a misprint, so I cheerfully put in the entire head in. As you can imagine, it was inedible, but I did learn the difference between a bulb and a head of garlic.

Rereading this I see I'm repeating myself some. My husband finally sent me off to the doctor after he tired of hearing me cough for five weeks. I've got bronchitis and the codeine laced cough syrup makes me a little loopy. I've finished my course of antibiotics, so I don't think I'm contagious, but should I wear a mask and gloves when preparing this. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks
  Re: Gazpacho by lxxf (I'm charged with mak...)
I'm not sure about the mask and gloves, lxxf, since I'm not a medical person. It certainly wouldn't hurt, but you might be a bit uncomfortable.

Could you use eggbeaters in place of the raw eggs? I don't actually know if this would work or not, it was just a thought. Hope you feel better soon.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I'm waiting for our tomato harvest and plan to make the following recipe. We have found the recipes from the Best Recipe books to be unfailable. They explain the rationale behind the final recipe - too much text for me to type in!

The main point is to take the extra time to hand chop the veges for a better outcome. The food processor is quicker, but the dice is uneven and you can end up with puree instead of dice.

PS -- hope you're well soon. And, since this isn't cooked, you should be careful to wear the mask.
* Exported from MasterCook *

Gazpacho

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 medium ripe tomatoes -- 1.5 pounds, cored and cut into 1/4" dice
2 medium red bell pepper -- stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4" dice
2 small cucumber -- one peeled and the other with skin on, both seeded and cut into 1/4" dice
1/2 small sweet onion -- such as Vidalia, Maui or Walla Walla, or 2 large shallots, minced (about 1/2 cup)
2 medium garlic cloves -- minced or pressed
1/3 cup sherry vinegar
salt and pepper
5 cups tomato juice
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce -- optional
8 ice cubes

Combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, onion, garlic, vinegar, 2
teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large (at least 4-quart)
nonreactive bowl. Let stand until the vegetables just begin to release
their juices, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato juice, hot sauce (if
using), and ice cubes. Cover tightly and refrigerate to blend the
flavors, at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove and discard any unmelted
ice cubes. Serve cold, topping with the desired garnishes.

Quick food processor instructions: Core and quarter the tomatoes and
process them in a food processor until broken down into 1/2 to 1" pieces,
about 12 - 1 second pulses; transfer to large bowl. Cut the peppers and
cucumbers into rough 1" pieces and process them separately until broken
down into 1/2" pieces, about 12 1-second pulses; add to the bowl with the
tomatoes. Add the onion, garlic, vinegar, salt and black pepper to taste.

Source:
"The Best Light Recipe"
Copyright:
"2006, Cook's Illustrated"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 59 Calories; trace Fat (5.2%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 573mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Other
Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This recipe makes a large quantity because the leftovers
are so good, but it can be halved if you prefer.

For the tomato juice, we prefer Welch's.

Traditionally, diners garnish their own bowls with more of
the same diced vegetables that are in the soup. If that
appeals to you, cut some extra vegetables while you
prepare those called for in the recipe. Additional
garnish possibilities include croutons, finely diced
avacado, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.

Preference to hand chopping the vegetables. The benefits
to texture were dazzling.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  Re: Re: Gazpacho by HomeCulinarian (I'm waiting for our ...)
This is very much like mine--I don't use bread either- except to make croutons for topping. I like to puree' half my chopped vegis in the tomato juice and add the chunks later ( I include chunks of celery) and I do love the olive oil on top!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
and made the NYTimes recipe without the eggs. I put 4 tomatoes,1 green pepper, 1 cuke, 1 onion and 2 garlic cloves in the cuisinart and pureed them. I then added 1/4 c of olive oil and red wine vinegar, 1/8t cayenne, 1/8 t salt and 3/4 c tomato juice and it is chilling in the fridge.

I must say I'm disappoined with the cuisinart. It's too small and not very powerful. But I bought it under duress as my old one died and after going to the 3rd retailer it was the only one they had. Does the larger one have a more powerful motor? This gazpacho is so chunky that I really don't have to serve garnishes.
  Re: I wore the mask by lxxf (and made the NYTimes...)
This is just perfect! I'm actually making gazpacho shooters for an appetizer course. I bought plastic shooter cups and dip them in lime juice and a old bay seasoning and then pour some gazpacho in to about 1/2 way.

But I wanted a new recipe...so perfect timing on this post
  Re: Re: I wore the mask by DFen911 (This is just perfect...)
Gazpacho Shooters is a creative way to serve this.

When reviewing my "library" for a good gazpacho recipe, I found the one in Rosso & Lukins' The New Basics. They wrote that they've been known to add a bit of vodka to their mugs so that it becomes a Spanish Bloody Mary!

I passed on their version because of the 3 uncooked eggs in the ingredients. Other variations were theirs has more tomatoes, less tomato juice, dill, red wine instead of sherry vinegar and olive oil in instead of as a garnish.
  Re: Re: Gazpacho by HomeCulinarian (I'm waiting for our ...)
I made this Gazpacho recipe for the first time on Monday evening and served it last night. It was wonderful. The tomatoes, peppers, and cukes were from our garden. The peppers were green, not red. I hand cut the veges. I also used gray salt for seasoning. For garnish, we used olive oil and avacado. Looking forward to enjoying the leftovers!