Vesta's Pulled Pork
  Re: (...)
Since Scottie/Morris was nice enuf to post this for us, I for one don't want it to get buried!! Thanks again, scottie.

Here's our development recipes :

Pork Shoulder 6 - 7 #
Brown Sugar 1/2 C
BBQ Pork spice mixture 1/2 C

Notes for this one :

Remove the external fat from the pork.
Rub the marinade mizture all over the pork and refrigerate for 8-10 hours.

Brown the pork on all sides in some oil.
Smoke for 1 1/4 hours per # at 265º using 50/50 hickory/oak. In the meantime, prepare the BBQ
sauce.

Continue to cook in a 250 º oven for ? hours.

Test batch - unsmoked, 8 hours oven cooking was very tender.
6.66# shoulder picnic roast at $1.79/# yield 2# usable meat, 300 ml braising liquid.

And then there's the spice mixture :

Cumin 2
Garlic Powder 2
Black Pepper, Ground 1
Kosher Salt 1
Thyme, dry 1
Rosemary, dry 1/2 lightly ground

Spin the rosemary in the spice grinder for about 10 seconds.
Combine all ingredients in the ratio shown.

And then you need some reheating liquid :

Water 1 1/2 C hot
Cider Vinegar 1 C
Brown Sugar 2 T
Paprika 1 T
Cayenne 1 t
Black Pepper 1 t
Kosher Salt 2 t

FINISHED LIQUID

Mixture above 1 part
Braising Liquid 1 part
Water 1 part

Dissolve the brown sugar in the water. Mix in the remaining ingredients.

And a sauce:

Apple Cider Vinegar 1/2 C
Brown Sugar 1/2 C
Molasses, Dark 1/2 C
Worcestershire Sauce 1/4 C
Mustard, Whole Grain 1/4 C
Honey 1/4 C
Tabasco 1 t
Kosher Salt 1 T
Black Pepper, Ground 1 t

And then there's baby Kaiser buns and spiced apple chutney and prep cooks that can't follow recipes, line cooks that can't cook and all the other unknowns that combine to produce a one of a kind sandwich you had never to be repeated again kinda experience.

If anyone knows why the hell I went to this much trouble to make an $8 sandwich for lunch, please do let me know. Five minutes to eat and three days to mise en place. Nuts.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Vesta's Pulled Pork by cjs (Since Scottie/Morris...)
Quote:

If anyone knows why the hell I went to this much trouble to make an $8 sandwich for lunch, please do let me know. Five minutes to eat and three days to mise en place. Nuts.

OK, Jean, surely SOMEONE will appreciate this! Since you have had a taste of this, what do you think about using a loin? The clan has wanted some type of pulled pork, BBQ-something or another. Would this cut be too lean for this recipe?
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Vesta's Pulled Pork by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Linda, Billy and I have both tasted this (it was his sandwich... ), all loved it and it is certainly worth the 'fun' to make it. I'm with you, I think a loin might be a little too lean.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vesta's Pulled Pork by cjs (Linda, Billy and I h...)
Thanks, Jean...glad I asked, since you had tasted this. Will put a post out for something different for this beautiful piece of meat. Thanks!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Jean dear, could you do a little translation for me? The spice mixture, are those numbers "parts, tablespoons" or what? Are they whatever measurement we decide to use? Teaspoons, Tablespoons, cups...whatever?

Linda, it was very, very tasty. If there'd been extra sauce I'd probably have licked my plate
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Billy, I think the qtys for the spice mixture would go like this -

for a 5-6 lb.shoulder, using Tablespoons will give you approx. a 1/2 cup of rub, which should be sufficient for rubbing on the meat.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vesta's Pulled Pork by cjs (Billy, I think the q...)
Thankee Sweetie Pie
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy