WHAT TO DO WITH A PORK LOIN??
  Re: (...)
Does anyone out there have something "different" to do with a nice piece of pork loin? It's about a 5 pounder. Anything new would be welcomed here. Thanks.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: WHAT TO DO WITH A PORK LOIN?? by MUSICMAKER (Does anyone out ther...)
We buy whole loins often. Our favorite is a simple herb rub and then cooked on the grill with garlic mashed potatoes and a green vege. Cut a garlic clove in half and rub the loin with the cut edges. Then mix equal parts of marjoram, rubbed sage, & salt together and rub on the roast.

A couple of other ideas for things we make often...
Sweet & Sour Pork
White Chile
Lemon glazed roast
  Re: Re: WHAT TO DO WITH A PORK LOIN?? by HomeCulinarian (We buy whole loins o...)
I like to marinade in teriyaki overnight, then rotisserie, but that's not really anything new. I wonder if you could cut thick slices, pound them out a bit, then make roulades?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I always brine my pork loins first off - moisture and tenderness seems to be being bred out of pork nowadays...

this one might be better for cooler weather -
Maple-Mustard-Glazed Pork Roast

2 pound boneless pork loin roast -- (2 to 3)
2/3 cup maple-flavored syrup
3 T. Dijon-style mustard
2 T. cider vinegar
2 T. soy sauce
Salt and pepper
1 pound carrots -- pared and quartered lengthwise*
4 medium red potatoes -- scrubbed and halved (4 to 6)

*Other favorite vegetables can be substituted: Brussels sprouts, winter squash wedges, sweet potatoes

Stir together maple syrup, mustard, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
Spread evenly over pork roast and place in a shallow pan, surrounded by carrots and potatoes.
Roast in a 350-degree oven until internal temperature of pork, measured with a meat thermometer reaches 150degrees F., and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
Remove from oven; slice roast to serve with vegetables. Serves 6, with leftovers
--------

Wow, my notes say I made this in '02 and I can still remember all the flavors - it's so good!! don't see why you couldn't use a loin.

APPLE-FENNEL CHUTNEY - NAT'L PORK

This recipe is from the Nat'l Pork council and the entire dish is definitely a repeat!!

Serves 6

2 3/4-pound pork tenderloins
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon whole brown mustard seed
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic

APPLE-FENNEL CHUTNEY
1 1/2 cups chopped apple (1 large)
3/4 cup diced fennel (1 bulb)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup raisins
1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Heat oven to 450ºF. In a medium saucepan, combine all chutney ingredients; mix well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes more.

Remove cover and cook 15-20 minutes more, or until fruit is tender.

Meanwhile, place pork tenderloins on a sheet of waxed paper. Place all dry seasonings in a blender; grind to a powder. Coat tenderloins with spice mixture. Place pork in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes, or until meat thermometer registers 160ºF (I cook pork to 150°). To serve, slice pork tenderloins into 1/2-inch medallions. Top with chutney. Serve any remaining chutney on the side.
---------

Jean's note (4/02): I didn't use a tenderloin, I had some thick cut loin pcs. in the freezer, so brined, coated and grilled them - great!

Love a good pork loin.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: WHAT TO DO WITH A PORK LOIN?? by cjs (I always brine my po...)
Here is a mixture I used on one last year. These spices were originally for a "Bacon and Cheddar Omelet Roll" but I modified them a little and used them on a pork loin roast:

1/2 cup cottage cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped leeks
2 tablespoons Dijon or whole grain mustard (more if needed)
6 ounces cheddar cheese (about 1 1/2 cups grated)
8 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled (about 1 to 1 1/2 cups)

Mix all ingredients together. Fillet out the pork loin and spread the mixture generously over the loin to within 2" or so of one end. Starting at the other end, roll the loin and secure with wet butcher's twine. Grill or roast until the center reaches ~150°F. Slice and serve hot.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Wow! Can always count on you all for something good!

Billy, your's was a hit with the boys as they just love bacon and cheese anything!

HG, can you post your recipes for white chiles and lemon glaze. Like so many of you, we have also been on this lemon craze for months now.

Jean, can you tell me what you do/use for your brine? Glad that I asked you about using the Vespa recipe for the pulled pork using the loin. I tend to shy away from roasting pork loin for that very reason -- it's dry. Unless there is something to cook it in, we just don't have it.

This loin is a 6.6 pounder -- much larger than I thought and could divide it into 3 and make all these which you shared.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: WHAT TO DO WITH A PORK LOIN?? by MUSICMAKER (Wow! Can always cou...)
I'm not Jean, but here's the one I use and I think it's hers

* Exported from MasterCook *

Brine

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Terms-Tips-Utensil Care

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 quart water
Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.

Yield:
"1 quart"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Not sure what would be "new" to you, but not everyone is familiar with lechon asado (Cuban Roast Pork), so that may be something for you to try.

The full, true lechon asado involves the whole pig, and cooks it buried in the ground, but one may easily find many recipes for using something smaller. Some of the recipes call for fresh (i.e. not cured) hams, but some say roasts. It doesn't really matter, as the results are wonderful either way.

I introduced my parents to this dish a few years ago, and they love it. In fact, I just visited them for about a week, and they made this while I was there, using a pork roast that still contained the bone, and it was scrumptious! The following link is the same link I sent them when I first looked for the recipe, and is the one they used this past week: http://www.caymannetnews.com/Archive/Arc...Fever.html. BTW, the recipe calls for making some "shallow cuts" into the meat, but I like to make some deeper holes, as well, to let the marinade penetrate even more.

Apart from that, you could try some kind of fruit glaze, such as prunes (very good with pork), or apples (perhaps with some applejack brandy, as well).

Enjoy!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: WHAT TO DO WITH A PORK LOIN?? by bjcotton (I'm not Jean, but he...)
Linda, the one Billy posted is what I use. It's so simple - I don't go to the bother of heating to dissolve the sugars and salt, I find just some good whisking takes care of that. I would brine for (the 6 pounder) 5-7 hours, rinse well and continue with whatever recipe you choose. Also, play with the brine - add whatever herbs, spices you like or not, it's just a good basic brine. Pork and chix breasts are always brined in my house.

NOW, I have to go buy a big piece of pork and play with all the ideas you're getting - they sound wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Paul Prudhomme created this one and we serve it to company, take to sick friends,etc.
Prudhomme Pork

Make a seasoning mix--2 t black pepper,1 1/2 t salt, 1 t each white pepper, cayenne, sweet paprika, and dried thyme leaves. Add 1/2 t dried mustard. mix well.

3 T unsalted butter
1 T lard (or another liped of choice)
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1/2 c " " celery
1/2 c " " bell peppers
1 T minced garlic
1 4lb boneless pork loin
Place all ingredients except loin in alarge skillet with the seasoning mix. Saute 4min or so over high heat. Cool.
Meanwhile place roast in a baking pan fat side up. Make several deep slits in the meat to form pockets--do not go all the way thru!!Stuff the pockets with vegi mixture and rub the rest all over the roast. I like to tie it up to keep its shape. Sometime you get a roast that is split horizontaly--just put mix in the middle fold over and tie.
Bake uncovered at 275 for 3 hrs. Increase temp to 425 for another 10-15 min until dark brown on top. The smell will drive you crazy and it is soooo good!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".