Need help with a dessert
  Re: (...)
I've had another "event" added to my entertaining schedule. On Monday my husbands sister and her family are going to visit. The teenage son doesn't eat vegetables, and the teen daughter has celiac disease and cannot process wheat gluten and wheat-containing products.

I'm going to grill chicken and serve with bbq sauce, make a big fruit salad and a tomato-and-mozzarella salad. Bread or rolls for those who can eat them. But I'm stumped on dessert. Cakes,cookies, and brownies use flour, as do pie crusts. They live out of state and we see them every couple of years, so I don't want to purchase any special ingredients (like rice flour) that I'll never use.

Any ideas on a dessert which doesn't contain wheat? It's after 9pm and my brain is a bit fuzzy, so I can use the help!

Thanks
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Need help with a dessert by foodfiend (I've had another "ev...)
Chocolate perhaps?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate to The MAX

Recipe By :Bill
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:05
Categories : Desserts-Ices

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon creme de cacao
1 cup whipping cream

In a blender, combine together the chocolate, egg, vanilla, almond extract and Creme de Cacao while microwaving the cream until just beginning to boil. With the blender going add the hot cream and blend well. Pour into small sherbet or wine glasses.

Chill for several hours and serve.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Here are two chocolate desserts that I would recommend.

Our favorite is the Chocolate Espresso Torte, C@H Issue 7, page 42. Maybe one of the lucky Members Plus folks can find it and copy to this thread. Otherwise, I will type it in for you. It is to die for...

Another is Sugar Busters! Chocolate Mousse. This is also wonderful. It has no sugar, but lots of calories from fat. It makes more than plenty for 8 servings, you could stretch it to 10 or more. Serve in stemmed glasses with fresh raspberries.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sugar Busters! Chocolate Mousse

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds chocolate -- must be at least 60% cocoa
1 1/2 quarts heavy cream -- divided
5 egg yolks
6 ounces decaffeinated coffee
5 egg whites

Melt chocolate in microwave or over boiling water. Boil 2 cups cream.

Add egg yolks and decaffeinated coffee, then pour boiled cream over
chocolate. Wisk until no lumps remain.

Whip egg whites and fold into mousse.

Whip 1 qt cream to soft peaks, then fold into mousse. Chill until ready
to serve.

Source:
"Sugar Busters!"
Copyright:
"1995 BY Steward, Bethea, Andrews, & Balart"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1093 Calories; 98g Fat (76.7%
calories from fat); 11g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 378mg
Cholesterol; 120mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 19
1/2 Fat; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Or this? My signature dessert

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 350

Grease 10"x3" springform pan

2 8 oz pkg semisweet chocolate, chopped (almost 2 3/4 cup chocolate chips)
2 cups butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup half and half, or light cream (I use light cream)
1 T vanilla
1/2 t salt
8 large eggs

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt semisweet chocolate, butter, sugar, cream, vanilla and salt. Stir frequently until smooth.

In lg bowl, beat eggs. Gradually beat in warm chocolate until smooth. Pour batter into pan so that it spreads evenly.

Bake 45 min or until toothpick inserted in cake 2 inches from edge comes out clean. Cool completely on rack.

When cake is cool, release from pan. Refrigerate at least 6 hrs.

Glaze with:

In heavy 2 qt pan, over low heat, heat 6 oz semisweet chocolate pcs. Add 2 T butter, stirring often, until melted and smooth. Remove pan from heat, add 3T milk and 2 T corn syrup.

Add a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.(And some juicy strawberries!

PJ

Edited to add, this cake will sink in the middle while cooling this is the way it is supposed to be, so don't be alarmed!
PJ
Quote:

They live out of state and we see them every couple of years, so I don't want to purchase any special ingredients (like rice flour) that I'll never use.

Just curious, but would corn flour/meal be acceptable? Certainly, you may have little use for rice flour on other occasions, but cornmeal may be common enough for you to continue using it for other things after you're done with this task. Just an idea.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Need help with a dessert by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Just another thot - could you keep the fruit for a dessert platter and serve it with a Marshmallow/Cream cheese dip? We used to to this a lot when the kids were around for a 2nd dessert and then try to keep the adults out of it!! It' so good.

MARSHMALLOW/CREAM CHEESE DIP

8 oz, cream cheese
7 oz. jar marshmallow creme
Assorted Fruit

Combine softened cream cheese and marshmallow creame; mix until well blended.
Serve with strawberries, bananas, or any combination of fruit.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Need help with a dessert by cjs (Just another thot - ...)
The coconut pumpkin brulee has no flour, and takes just minutes to make and get into the oven! It's posted under one of the Jean & Roy dinner posts
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Need help with a dessert by Harborwitch (The coconut pumpkin ...)
I thought I might suggest something a little lighter -- maybe a flan. The recipes I posted earlier could cause a heart attack!

I also googled gluten free recipes and found this site. It has a nice list of desserts to consider.

http://www.csaceliacs.org/recipes.php
  Re: Re: Need help with a dessert by HomeCulinarian (I thought I might su...)
I have friends who have celiac disease, and the box mixes for gluten-free baked goods are actually quite good (i.e., they taste good to non-celiacs as well!).
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: Re: Need help with a dessert by jenni (I have friends who h...)
Oh my. I've printed out the recipes for future reference (esp PJ's flourless cake-- wow!) and now just have to make a decision. Not my forte, alas!

THANKS everyone!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com