Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue??
  Re: Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by LeighAnn (YES!!! Thank you so...)
See CJ, you told me I was good for nothing, I am too good for something
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by cjs (oh my, both of them ...)
WELCOME to the forum, LeighAnn----hope to see you often---it's a great group of people here!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by bjcotton (See CJ, you told me ...)
Oh horsepuckie Billy - you are to good for something....let me think on it and get back to you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by Roxanne 21 (WELCOME to the forum...)
Thanks! So far my first experience has been great! Everyone is so nice and extremely helpful!
  Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by LeighAnn (I have made Chile Re...)
Think the one you are looking for is in Issue 25 August 2005, the one with grilled herb steak and homemade fries on the cover. Funny you mentioned you are looking for this because that is the issue I was purusing for the next test meal. Anyway, the name of the recipe is THREE CHEESE CHILES RELLENOS. Here is the recipe.

THREE CHEESE CHILES RELLENOS

Yield: Makes 8 peppers
Total time: about 1 hour

For the chiles:
roast, peel and seed;
8 Anaheim chiles with stems

Combine, stuff chiles with:
1 cup white or yellow Cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated

Heat:
4 cups vegetable oil

For the batter:
Combine
1-1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

stir in:
1-1/2 cups cold club soda

Dredge and dip chilies in; fry;
1/2 cup all purpose flour
prepared batter

Serve with:
Gazzpacho sauce, page 19
sprigs of fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS:

Roast chiles over a gas burner until blackened and blistered. Steam in a resealable plastic bag. When cool, peel and slit them lengthwise, then scrape out seeds.

Combine cheeses in a bowl.

Shape about 3 tablespoons of the mixture into a log, then place inside a chile.

Wrap each stuffed chile in a paper towel and set aside.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Line a baking sheet with several crumpled paper towels.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium to 360-375 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients for the batter in a large bowl.

Stir soda into dry ingredients with a fork when oil reaches 330 degrees.

Dredge chiles in flour, dip one into the batter then remove and allow excess batter to drip off.

Fry chile in the hot oil until golden on one side, 2-3 minutes; turn and fry 1-2 minutes more. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Transfer to the oven to keep warm as you fry the remaining chiles.

Serve chiles immediately with gazpacho sauce, granished with sprigs of cilantro.

Nutrition: For the chiles, each, 475 calories; 71% calories from fat; 39 g total fat; 23 g carbs; 560 ng sodium; 3 g fiber; 12 g protein.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by LeighAnn (Thanks! So far my f...)
Well---SURPRISE!!! SURPRISE!!!! (to all of you that know about the availability of ingredients needed for these recipes for me)

I have NO access to the chiles y'all are talking about but I have really wanted to make that recipe for a VERY long time.....to the question for you experts out there.....I just picked up some lovely looking pimento peppers that look as though they would be about the right size. Could I use these and how would the taste/texture compare?

TIA
  Re: Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by Roxanne 21 (Well---SURPRISE!!! ...)
Quote:

I have NO access to the chiles y'all are talking about... ....I just picked up some lovely looking pimento peppers that look as though they would be about the right size. Could I use these and how would the taste/texture compare?

TIA

The Anaheim chiles are a very mild pepper (on the hotness scale). I have used other peppers for this recipe, and other similar recipes; in fact, one time used a variety of peppers because not enough of just one type, and they turned out just a good. In fact, some were even better. I think the thing you have to concern yourself about is that you use FRESH peppers, not ones that have been canned or processed in some other way. I have even used the yellow banana peppers, including those that have orange, red, or ave completely turned color. When these are placed on a platter, they look really nice, with all the different colors poking through the batter. Just watch what type of peppers you buy so that you don't get any of those that are off the scale in hotness!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thank you-----I think the pimentos will be fine with the recipe----I'll try and see what happens

I LOVE new experiments!!!!
  Re: Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by Roxanne 21 (Thank you-----I thin...)
I think so, too! Let us know how they turned out!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Chile Rellenos Recipe - What issue?? by Roxanne 21 (Thank you-----I thin...)
Roxanne, I agree, the pimientos will give you a nice sweet flavor - but will certainly work for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com