An Abundance of Herbs?
  Re: (...)
This is what the Oregonian [newspaper] suggests you do with them.......

Herb cubes The herbs: Basil, dill, cilantro, marjoram (strip leaves from woody stems), Italian parsley.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
The method: Wash one bunch of fresh herbs and trim roots or tough stems. In the bowl of a food processor or a blender jar, place herbs and 1/4 cup olive oil. Pulse or blend until mixture is creamy and emulsified, adding more oil if necessary (you don't want it to be soupy). Spoon into ice cube trays and freeze. When frozen, transfer to zip-top freezer bags, label and store in freezer for up to a year.
The payoff: Herb cubes are delicious in fish baked in parchment (see accompanying recipe), soups, sauces and vinaigrettes. Use them to make a mayonnaise-based dip for roasted vegetables or a sauce for baked salmon. Add basil cubes to lasagna, cilantro cubes to enchilada filling, parsley cubes to tabbouleh.
-- Leslie Cole
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: An Abundance of Herbs? by bjcotton (This is what the Ore...)
Thanks Billy. I never thought of preserving herbs in this way. I wonder if it would work for oregano and thyme (both of which are overflowing my little herb garden)? I picked a huge bucket of basil today and made enough pesto to get me through the winter.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: An Abundance of Herbs? by foodfiend (Thanks Billy. I nev...)
I don't see why you couldn't. If a little oil wouldn't spoil whatever recipe you were making.

Billy
  Re: An Abundance of Herbs? by bjcotton (This is what the Ore...)
Good idea, Billy. Thanks for passing it along. My basil isn't doing well this year but I've got lots of everything else. Considering everything is in containers, I guess I'm doing okay. I'd post a pic but I don't want to embarrass myself

Anyways, good idea!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: An Abundance of Herbs? by pjcooks (Good idea, Billy. T...)
Well, PJ, it's got to look better than mine. The only thing I've got is my bay tree.

Billy
  Re: Re: An Abundance of Herbs? by bjcotton (Well, PJ, it's got t...)
Quote:

Well, PJ, it's got to look better than mine. The only thing I've got is my bay tree.

I guess so, if you "only" have that beautiful bay!

It's just been too wet here this year.

[Image: DSCN0496.jpg]

But I now have a grape tomato starting to ripen!

[Image: DSCN0498.jpg]

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: An Abundance of Herbs? by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Beautiful!
  Re: Re: An Abundance of Herbs? by HomeCulinarian (Beautiful!...)
Those look great PJ. Yeah, that little bay tree is holding its own. The little bugger is about 3 feet tall and has lots and lots of leaves. I don't even bother to keep the dried ones on hand any more.

Billy
  Re: Re: An Abundance of Herbs? by bjcotton (I don't see why you ...)
Billy I had to do something with the oregano since it was starting to flower so I made some oregano-and-oil cubes this afternoon. I can't imagine that this wouldn't add a wonderful taste of summer in pasta sauces and soups this winter. Thanks so much for passing this tip along!

PJ your basil looks very nice, really. Mine is only a little bigger and I consider it to be doing quite well!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: An Abundance of Herbs? by bjcotton (Those look great PJ....)
Nice pics PJ! I don't think your basil looks bad, but then I am a rather new gardener, so what do I know! I used to put my basil in pots also, but this year it went right into the ground and seems pretty happy there. Isn't it exciting when things start to ripen? I've harvested some peppers already, but still waiting for the tomatoes to ripen.

Billy, that's some interesting and useful information you posted there. That's what I wanted to do with my excess basil, so thank you!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."