Individual Beef Wellingtons
  Re: (...)
Hi...Could someone please tell me what the front of the Premier Issue looks like, and when it was published. I was reading another issue, and it made reference to individual beef wellingtons. It said it was covered in the Premier Issue. I would like to know what it says about these. I don't know when this was published. I wonder if this would be included in the volume 1 bound copy? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Judy
  Re: Individual Beef Wellingtons by Judyfromtx (Hi...Could someone p...)
Welcome, Judy!

Not in the first issue, but I found it in #42, Dec '03, pg 18. That's also the picture on the cover.

Hope this helps- Have fun here!

PJ

Editing to add, I didn't answer your question. The 1st issue was Jan/Feb 1997. Seafood Marinara w/Saffron Pasta is pictured, also featuring Caesar Salad, Seafood Gumbo and Risotto Milanese.

And a white chocolate banana cream pie.
  Re: Re: Individual Beef Wellingtons by pjcooks (Welcome, Judy![br][b...)
And a HUGE welcome from me, too, Judy.

That recipe is one of my ALL TIME favorites from C@H---always a great dinner for special guests or just when I want to treat hubby to something "romantic"

Hope to see you around!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Welcome to the forum! Here is the recipe...hope this is what you are looking for.

Beef Wellington
(Cuisine, October 1996, Premier Issue, p. 7)

Makes: 4 Wellingtons Total Time: 55 Minutes Rating: Advanced

Thaw:
2 sheets Pepperidge Farm puff pastry

Prepare and Sear:
4 6 oz. beef tenderloin

Saute:
2 T. olive oil
12 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. fresh thyme, chopped

Assemble in Puff Pastry:
Seared filets
Mushroom mixture
4 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced

Brush with and Bake:
2 large eggs mixed with 2 T. milk

Preheat grill to high.

Thaw puff pastry and set aside.

Prepare the tenderloin by first removing the silverskin as shown on the right. Then slice into filets about 11/2" thick.With this thickness, the meat won’t overcook (they’ll be about medium rare), and it makes a nice presentation. Tie each filet as shown. Lightly coat the preheated grill with nonstick spray. Sear filets just until browned on the outside, about 1 minute on each side. Don't overcook the meat. You’re only trying to brown the meat to seal in some of the juices, add flavor, and start the cooking process. The baking will finish cooking the meat. Salt and pepper the meat and chill thoroughly to prevent any contamination. Turn grill off and preheat oven to 400°.

Saute shiitakes in olive oil. Add the chopped garlic to the mushrooms. When you smell the garlic cooking, remove from heat—about a minute. With the pan off the heat, add the fresh thyme and salt to taste. The pan’s heat will be all you need to infuse the mushrooms with the thyme. Set the mixture aside to cool.

Assemble Wellingtons by layering filets with prosciutto and mushroom mixture as shown below. Wrap and puff pastry and place the pastries on parchment lined baking sheet.

Brush each with eggwash. Bake for 25 minutes and serve. Shown here with Merlot Sauce.

Nutrition Information (Per serving):
385 calories 45% calories from fat 19g total fat 186mg sodium
Tammy
  Re: Re: Individual Beef Wellingtons by TwilightKitten (Welcome to the forum...)
And here's the merlot sauce that goes with it...

Merlot Sauce
(Cuisine, October 1996, Premier Issue, p. 10)

Makes: 4 Servings Total Time: 35 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

Saute:
1 T. olive oil
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 cup onions, chopped

Add:
2 T. tomato paste
2 t. fresh garlic, minced

Deglaze with:
1/2 cup Merlot wine
1 bay leaf

Add:
1 1/2 cup beef stock

Whisk in:
2 T. arrowroot dissolved in 1 T. water

Add for Flavor/Richness:
Salt and pepper to taste
1 T. Merlot wine
1 T. cold unsalted butter

Saute the mushrooms and onions in olive oil until caramelized.

Add garlic and paste. Cook until dark, about 3 minutes.

Deglaze the saute pan with 1/2 cup Merlot. This means loosening the bits of flavor from the pan bottom. Reduce until half the liquid is evaporated.

Add beef stock and seasonings. Simmer 3 minutes. Then strain through a cheesecloth. Pour sauce back into the pan.

Whisk in arrowroot solution. Stir over medium heat until it thickens.

Add 1 Tbsp. each of Merlot and butter for flavor. Shown here with Beef Wellington.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/4 cup):
58 calories 52% calories from fat 3g total fat 63mg sodium
Tammy
  Re: Re: Individual Beef Wellingtons by TwilightKitten (And here's the merlo...)
Hey Judy! Welcome to CAH forum. Great crowd here and very helpful. I hope you hang around and share your recipes and thoughts with us.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Welcome to the forum, Judy from Texas.

I think there is an earlier version of this recipe that we made for entertaining guests. It was very good! It had some costly ingredients - such as truffle butter and a liver pate. Let me know if you're interested in this one and I'll find it and post it for you.... after I get back from my vacation...
  Re: Re: Individual Beef Wellingtons by pjcooks (Welcome, Judy![br][b...)
Quote:

And a white chocolate banana cream pie.Smile

My boys LOVE banana pie and usually use chocolate sauce but would like to surprise them with this...sounds yummy!!!

Thanks!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
Quote:

Could someone please tell me what the front of the Premier Issue looks like, and when it was published.

I didn't answer the question either... The premier issue has a "fresh apple tart" on the cover and it looks like it was published in 1996 (it just says "display until Dec. 30, 1996").
Tammy
  Re: Re: PJ can you post. . . . . by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here ya go!

White Chocolate Banana Cream Pie

Serves 8 Work time 1 hour

For the custard filling:
2/3 c sugar
¼ c cornstarch
1/8 t salt
5 lg egg yolks
2 ½ c whole milk
1 t vanilla or ½ van bean split
2 T unsalted butter
3 med bananas

For the crust:

1 ¼ c Oreo cookie crumbs
¼ c dk brown sugar
¼ c unsalted butter, melted

For the mousse:

1 t unflavored powdered gelatin
2 T hot water
4 oz white chocolate, chopped
1/3 c reserved custard
1 ¼ c heavy cream, cold

1) Make the custard first so it can start cooling. First whisk the sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a large bowl.

2) Whisk the egg yolks into the dry ingredients and mix in the milk immediately. just make sure the milk is ready, you don’t want the yolks sitting in the sugar.

3) Transfer the custard to a dbl boiler or heavy saucepan and drop in the vanilla bean. Cook over med heat until thick (consistency of soft pudding)

4) Remove from stove, take out bean and stir in butter. Reserve 1/3 c for mousse and cover both. Cool for 30 min.

For the crust:

5)Preheat oven to 350. Blend cookie crumbs and brow sugar getting the lumps out. Then stir in melted butter.

6)Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and sides of a pie plate and bake for 8 min.

Making the mousse:

7) Dissolve the gelatin in 2 T hot water for 5 min. Stir several times to make sure the the gelatin is completely dissolved.

8) Melt the white choc in a dbl boiler. Mix the gelatin into the melted chocolate.

9) In a mixing bowl, blend the 1/3 reserved custard into the white chocolate and gelatin mix. Stir thoroughly, set aside.

10) Pour the cold heavy cream into a chilled mixing bowl and whip until stiff.

11)Stir a small amt of the whipped cream into the the chocolate. Fold the remaining whipped cream in.

Assembling:

12) Layer bananas in pie shell randomly. Pour warm custard over. Cover and fridge for at least 2-3 hrs.

13) Heap mousse on in a generous layer, keeping the center thicker than the edges. Pipe the edging.

14) Take a tall glass of cold Chardonnay out to the deck and enjoy being finished with this pie. (OH, yah, that's mine)

And then wash every pot, pan and dish in your kitchen
PJ
PJ