DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th
  Re: (...)
Sorry for starting another post on this subject...had problems with adding on to the other, kept getting this error message back stating that the "form" used is "out of date" and to resubmit, hit the back button, etc., which took me to a new post. Has anyone else had this problem? This is the second time this has happened to me now. Anyway...

OK, here are the results for the August 6th review:

Ribeyes with red wine feta vinaigrette (Issue 44, April 2004, page 36)
Bloody Mary Chopped Salad (Issue 52, August 2005, page 40)
Fuzzy Melba (Issue 52, August 2005, back cover)

(Note: As soon as I pasted the Bloody Mary Salad I noticed the SHRIMP the recipe calls for! This is a definite no-no for us, so I will delete that. Also have to omit the Worcestershire sauce because of the anchioves that IT contains! Does anyone have any suggestions for replacements for these two? Doubt the shrimp will make any difference, but what about the Worcestershire sauce? Do you think adding some fresh basil, for a Caprese-like salad, would throw this recipe off? Don't want to change too much because then the entire Bloody Mary concept of this recipe will be lost. Any suggestions, anyone???)

Yield: 1/2 cup vinaigrette, 2 steaks
Total Time: Approx. 20 minutes

For the Vinaigrette --
COMBINE:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons shallot, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon honey
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
STIR IN:
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled

For the steaks --
SEAR IN 2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL:
2 rib-eyes (1 pound each), seasoned with salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Combine vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl.
Stir in feta; let stand at room temperature.
Sear one side of steaks in oil in a large ovenproof saute pan over medium-high heat.
Cook until richly browned, 3-4 minutes, turn over, and transfer pan to the oven.
For medium-rare meat, roast to an internal temperature of 125 degrees F, 8-10 minutes.
Remove from oven, transfer to serving plates, allow to rest 5 minutes.
Spoon vinaigrette over the steaks.

(NOTE: May be made up to 2 days in advance)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1/4 cup vodka or chicken broth
1 small can spicy V8 juice (5.5 oz. or 2/3 cup)
2 tablespoons Worcesterhire sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz. cooked medium shrimp
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1 cup celery, sl iced
1/2 cup cucumber, diced
1/3 cup pimento stuffed olives, halved
1/4 cup red onion, sliced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil

HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium-high. Add shallot; saute until soft, 3 minutes.
DEGLAZE with vodka; simmer until nearly evaporated.
Add V8, Worcestershire, vinegar, mustard, sugar, horseradish, celery seed, and lemon juice.
Boil 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
Remove from heat and chill. May be made up to two days ahead.
Toss remaining ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
Divide salad among plates, serve each with a shot glass of dressing on the side. (each person can dress their own salad)

FUZZY MELBA
Yield: 8 servings
Total Time: 15 minutes

PUREE:
1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries (6 OZ.)
2 tablespoons simple syrup*

BLEND:
1 cup spiced rum
1 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup simple syrup
3 cups fresh peaches or 1 bag frozen (16 oz)
1 cup ice cubes

8 Martini glasses
Coarse sugar for dipping rims

Dip the rims of 8 martini glasses in fresh lime juice and coarse sugar.
PUREE raspberries in blender with simnple syrup. Remove, set aside, and rinse blender.
BLEND rum, lime juice, simple syrup, peaches, and ice until smooth.
To serve, pour a little of the raspberry puree into the bottom of each martini glass, then gently "top" each with peach mixture. (Careful not to "mix" the two, you want a definite "separation" of the red raspberry and peaches!)

*SIMPLE SYRUP
Combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup boiling water and stir until dissolved. Cool.

Nutrition: Per 6 oz.: 154 calories, 0% calories from fat; 0% g total fat; 20 g carbs; 1 mg sodium; 1 g. fiber, 1 g protein
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th by MUSICMAKER (Sorry for starting a...)
Have you ever used Pickapeppa Sauce? I use that hen I don't want to or can't use the Worcestershire sauce. It's made in Jamaica, but ins't hot. Here are the ingredients: tomatoes, onions,cane vinegar, mangoes, raisins, salt, pepper, and spices. It is quite tasty and sometimes difficult to find. I found it here in Fred Meyers which is a large chain store.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th by bjcotton (Have you ever used P...)
Billy, I've seen that sauce and always thought it was just another hot sauce. Guess I should have looked at the ingredients, because it sounds good!

Linda, sorry I don't have a suggestion for subbing the worc sauce, but Billy's idea sounds pretty good to me. I can't wait to make that salad! Thanks for posting all the recipes, this will be fun.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th by MUSICMAKER (Sorry for starting a...)
Thanks, Linda, for taking the time to post these recipes, this will be a good one!

Having an unsophisticated palate when it comes to Worcestershire sauce, I'd just leave it out. Hell, I probably would have left it out anyways. On the other hand, I know I can't resist throwing some of my fresh herbs in this. I guess I'll know which ones when I actually make and taste this.

Good menu! Should be fun.

PJ

And, yes, I get that message all the time. Whenever I remember, I type things out in Word, then copy over here. That way I don't lose it.
PJ
  Re: Re: DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th by bjcotton (Have you ever used P...)
Quote:

Have you ever used Pickapeppa Sauce?...

...I found it here in Fred Meyers which is a large chain store.

Billy, never heard of that, but will look for it. Where in the store is it located, by the mustard, catsup, soy sauce, etc.. or ?? Also, the Fred Meyer stores, is that the correct spelling of Meyer? There are "Meijer" stores here in Michigan, and the only other is Kroger. A large number of other chain stores have left the state, the economy is sooo bad here, and those that didn't leave were bought out by Kroger. Just wonder if the Meyer and Meijer are the same chain. There were over 200 Farmer Jack stores closed here just last weekend. Where are you located? California?

Maryann, you're welcome for the recipes...don't they sound yummy? That Fuzzy Melba -- Can't wait for dinner!!!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Yes it is correct - Fred Meyer. It is either Kroger or Haggen. Can't remember off the top of my head. Funny how all these chain stores go by different names but are from one big parent company!

Just looked it up - it is Kroger.

I would think it is either in the condiments section or the ethnic section. I also looked up substitutes for Worch. And it was suggested a steak sauce or soy sauce. It was also noted that there is a vegitarian Worch. sauce. (can you tell I don't know how to spell worch. sauce!!!) Good luck.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th by esgunn (Yes it is correct - ...)
...or Linda, if you're feeling adventurous one day, make your own worcestershire sauce. I made it years ago, just to try it and it was good. I have no idea what recipe I used, but here's one (and there are plenty if you google) that looks good.

Homemade Worcestershire Sauce Recipe
From Peggy Trowbridge Filippone,

Consider making your own Worcestershire sauce at home. It does contain a lot of ingredients, but the method is very simple and easy.
INGREDIENTS:
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 large sweet onions, roughly chopped
• 1/2 cup tamarind paste
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons minced ginger
• 2 jalapenos, seeds removed and minced
• 1/4 cup chopped canned anchovies
• 1/4 cup tomato paste
• 2 whole cloves
• 2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
• 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
• 1 cup molasses
• 3 cups white vinegar
• 1 cup dark beer
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 2 cups water
• 1 lemon, thinly sliced
• 1 lime, thinly sliced
PREPARATION:
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and saute the chopped sweet onion until soft, about 7 minutes.
Add the tamarind paste, garlic, ginger, and jalapenos. Cook over medium-low heat for another 5 minutes. Add anchovies, tomato paste, cloves, pepper, corn syrup, molasses, white vinegar, dark beer, orange juice, water, lemon, and lime. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 3 hours until thickened enough to the back of a spoon.

Strain Worcestershire sauce into a glass bottle and refrigerate.

Yield: about 6 cups
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th by cjs (...or Linda, if you'...)
And here is the lighter version of the salad - for anyone interested.

Bloody Mary Chopped Salad
(Cuisine at home, August 2005, Issue 52, p. 40)
6 cups

Saute in Nonstick Spray:
1 T. shallot, minced

Deglaze with:
1/4 cup vodka or chicken broth
1 small can spicy V-8 juice (5.5 oz. or 2/3 cup)
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. Dijon mustard
1 t. sugar
1 t. prepared horseradish
1/2 t. celery seed
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Toss:
8 oz. cooked medium shrimp
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1 cup celery, sliced
1/2 cup cucumber, diced
1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, halved
1/4 cup red onion, sliced
3 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 t. olive oil

Saute shallot in a saucepan coated with nonstick spray over medium-high. Cook until soft, 3 minutes.

Deglaze with vodka; simmer until nearly evaporated. Add V-8, Worcestershire, vinegar, mustard, sugar, horseradish, celery seed, and lemon juice. Boil 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and chill. (May be made up to two days ahead.)

Toss remaining ingredients together and season with salt and pepper. Divide salad among plates, serving each with a shot glass of dressing on the side.

Nutrition Information (Per cup):
89 calories 25% calories from fat 3g total fat 8g carb. 450mg sodium 2g fiber 9g protein
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th by cjs (...or Linda, if you'...)
Jean, don't mind making own sauces, dips, etc. Noticed that this recipe, too, has a good amount of anchovies in it as well. Do they put that much taste into this sauce that they would be so necessary? Also never heard of a vegetarian worcestershire sauce but that wouldn't surprise me...everything now a day is going all veggie and/or all organic, so I'm sure it is out there. This may sound like a very stupid question but do vegetarians not eat fish? Heard that some eat eggs but not chicken. Think they are called vegans? Does anyone know about that?

I am Italian and we eat a lot of fish or a lot of dishes are flavored with fish, fish broth, anchovies are used a LOT and tuna like there is no tomorrow...it's difficult for me to cook our "traditional" dishes because of the fish allergy and trying to find a substitute most of the time just isn't out there. Any suggestions anyone?

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: DINNER MENU FOR AUGUST 6th by MUSICMAKER (Jean, don't mind mak...)
I think with all the flavors going on in the worcestershire sauce, no one would ever miss the anchovies...

What I've learned true vegetarians are those who prefer to not eat anything with (or which comes from anything with...) a face.

Is your alergy to all things from water? I've heard lots of people are allergic to seafood (which must be so hard), but all fish???
www.achefsjourney.com