Braised beef short rib - lost recipe, please help
  Re: (...)
Hi, I have lost my issue that is about two years old that had a braised beef short rib recipe(I believe it was even pictured on the cover). That was the first dish that I had made for my girlfriend and she is coming in town to visit me this week and I think it'd be great to share it with her again. Can anyone please help and upload the recipe if you have a copy of that issue? Thanks so much in advance.
  Re: Braised beef short rib - lost recipe, please help by edfed (Hi, I have lost my i...)
This one?

Braised Short Ribs
(Cuisine, October 1998, Issue 11, p. 29)

Makes: 6 Servings Total Time: About 4 Hours Rating: Intermediate

Sear in 1/4 Cup Olive Oil:
10 beef short ribs (about 5 lbs.)

Remove Ribs, Add:
2 cups celery, cut in 1
2 cups onion, roughly chopped
1 cup carrots, cut in 1
1/2 cup shallots, roughly chopped
1/4 cup garlic, roughly chopped

Add, Then Ignite:
1/3 cup brandy or Cognac, warmed

Add and Reduce by One-Fourth:
1 cup dry red wine

Add and Bring to Simmer:
Beef ribs
3 cups beef stock
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves

Cover and Braise. Remove Ribs, Strain Sauce, and Chill.

For the Bourguignonne Sauce—
Combine for Beurre Manie:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, room temperature

Saute in 3 T. Butter. Set Aside:
1/2 lb. white pearl onions, peeled
1/2 lb. red pearl onions, peeled
1/2 lb. oyster mushrooms
1/2 lb. crimini mushrooms
1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms, trimmed

Saute in 2 T. Butter:
3/4 cup minced shallots

Add; Thicken with Beurre Manie:
1 cup dry red wine
Sauce from braised short ribs

Sear ribs on all sides, in a large, deep pan, in heated oil over medium-high heat.

Remove ribs to a platter after they are well-browned on all sides. Set them aside and keep them warm. Add all the chopped vegetables to pan. Reduce the heat a little and sweat the vegetables. You want them tender and a little browned. Place brandy in a measuring cup and microwave it on high for 30 seconds. This is dangerous.

Add brandy to pan. Ignite it with a long match to remove the alcohol. You may want to experiment using 2 T. at a time. After the brandy is burned off (cover pan with a lid to put out the flame, if needed).

Add the wine. Reduce the wine by 1/4.

Add the ribs, beef stock, fresh thyme sprigs, and bay leaves to the pan. Bring to a boil. Now, it’s ready to go into the oven to braise.

Cover the pan. Place in a 250–300° oven. You want the liquids in the pan just to maintain a simmer (a slow bubble). Turn the short ribs every 30 minutes. This ensures even cooking. Cook for about 2–3 hours in this gentle manner. Test short ribs for doneness. A skewer inserted in the meat should slide in easily and the meat should be pulling from the bones. If not serving immediately, remove short ribs from the pan. Let them cool completely. Then cover the ribs and refrigerate them. Strain the vegetables from the sauce; discard. Chill the sauce. After the sauce has chilled, any fat will have risen to the top and solidified. You can easily lift it off the sauce in large pieces.

Combine flour and butter for beurre manie. Blend it with your fingers until uniform. It should feel like soft pastry dough. Blanch onions for 1 minute in boiling water, then peel. Cut stems from shiitakes. Clean remaining mushrooms.

Saute peeled onions in 3 T. butter for 2 minutes. Then add all the mushrooms and saute just until tender. Set aside.

Saute shallots in a large pan, in 2 T. butter until tender.

Add red wine and reduce by half. Then add defatted sauce or stock. After liquid has come to a slow boil, whisk in walnut-sized pieces of beurre manie. Cook until sauce is desired thickness.

Or this one?

Braised Short Ribs with Tomatoes, Mushrooms, and Broccolini
(Cuisine at home, October 2005, Issue 53, p. 18)

Makes: 2 lb. Short Ribs and About 11/2 Cups Sauce Total Time: 3 Hours Rating: Intermediate

For the Short Ribs—
Prepare:
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup carrot, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
1 T. garlic, minced
1 bay leaf

Combine; Dredge and Brown in 1 T. Olive Oil; Remove:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 t. kosher salt
1 t. black pepper
1/4 t. cayenne
2 lb. bone-in short ribs

Saute in 1 T. Olive Oil; Add:
Prepared vegetables
1 T. tomato paste
2 T. reserved dredging flour

Deglaze with; Stir in and Braise:
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup marsala
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), halved
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Browned short ribs

Add:
2 cups crimini mushrooms, quartered
6 oz. broccolini, trimmed
Salt and pepper to taste

Serve with:
Gremolata Pasta, below
Fleur de sel or coarse salt

For the Gremolata Pasta—
Cook; Drain:
1 pkg. fresh fettuccine (9 oz.)

Combine; Toss with Pasta:
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 T. olive oil
1 T. garlic, minced
Minced zest of 1 lemon
Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat oven to 350°.

Prepare onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; set aside.

Combine flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a resealable plastic bag. Add short ribs, one at a time, and shake to coat evenly (reserve unused flour). Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium. Add dredged short ribs, bone side up, and brown slowly, about 8 minutes. Turn ribs and brown the other side for 8 minutes. Remove from the pan; pour off all fat.

Saute vegetables, garlic, and bay leaf with tomato paste in oil until soft, about 5 min., stirring often. Add flour; stir until vegetables are coated.

Deglaze with broth, wine, and marsala; stir in tomatoes and Worcestershire, and bring to a simmer. Arrange ribs in sauce, bone side up, cover,and braise in the oven for 2 hours.

Add mushrooms and return pot to the oven; braise another 15 minutes. Remove ribs from the pan; tent with foil to keep warm. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium heat; add the broccolini and cook just until tender, about 5 minutes. Taste sauce for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

Serve ribs, broccolini, and sauce over pasta; sprinkle with salt.

Cook pasta in boiling, salted water according to package directions; drain well.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add hot pasta and toss to coat. Serve with braised short ribs and sauce.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Braised beef short rib - lost recipe, please help by bjcotton (This one?[br][br]Bra...)
Yes, it was the 2nd one, Billy. Was getting ready to type it in and you popped up! My typing skills are nowhere near as efficient as yours.

Welcome, Ed! Hope you can find time to join in often!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Braised beef short rib - lost recipe, please help by pjcooks (Yes, it was the 2nd ...)
Don't you belong to the Plus site PJ?

Billy
  Re: Re: Braised beef short rib - lost recipe, please help by bjcotton (This one?[br][br]Bra...)
I've always just dusted them with seasoned flour S & P, garlic and onion powder, browned them in oil covered them with sliced onion and garlic, dowsed them in a bottle of beer, covered and baked them on low heat (250) or so for 4 hours or so - made a gravy with the drippings and served them with mashed potatoes,and whatever greens on hand.
  Re: Re: Braised beef short rib - lost recipe, please help by bjcotton (Don't you belong to ...)
Quote:

Don't you belong to the Plus site PJ?

No, tried and tried, but not there! As are many of us that have been waiting..

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Braised beef short rib - lost recipe, please help by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Billy, both of those sound really good! Copied and saved!

Welcome Ed, come back and join in the fun and conversation. You will get a lot of good recipes too.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Wow! Thank you so much, it was definitely the second one. My girlfriend is going to be so happy. I hope you didn't type all of that out, but thanks again so much. I'll definitely stick around on the boards and post more often. Thanks again!
  Re: Re: Braised beef short rib - lost recipe, please h by edfed (Wow! Thank you so mu...)
Nah, CAH has a site [it was supposed to be opened to membership] that a few of us joined for beta testing. Once a recipe has been published for a couple of months it's posted on that site. Then I can copy and paste it here. Let us know how it turns out Ed, and take pictures for posting here if you will please. I'll [or someone else] will tell you how to do it. It's easy.

Billy