Does anybody grow pumpkins?
  Re: (...)
I just love pumpkins, so Ron planted a patch of them this year. Well, they are just going beserk! and we don't really know what to do with them. The plants are huge and I swear they grow a foot a day! They have all kinds of blossoms, but no pumpkins yet. Can anyone tell me if we need to be doing anything except giving them a lot of water?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Does anybody grow pumpkins? by Mare749 (I just love pumpkins...)
"Does anybody grow pumpkins?"

Not intentionally! The kids used to clean their pumpkins for Jack o'Lanterns and leave the seeds on the ground. Sure enough, I'd have pumpkin vines growing the next summer (but not many pumpkins). I would usually have blossoms by now but this has been a horrible year along the east coast.

It's been too wet up here, if I remember right, you have been very dry. I'd just keep giving them lots of water. I've been giving my tomatoes Miracle Gro for the last few weeks, it's really perked them up.

Once they get going, watch out!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Does anybody grow pumpkins? by pjcooks ("Does anybody grow p...)
What kind of pumpkins did you plant Maryann? Florence and Jack used to have "The Pumpkin Patch" here every year. I used to go get the Super Sweet pumpkins to make pies with. The family told me later they preferred Libby's they buy their pies now cause I won't fix 'em!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Does anybody grow pumpkins? by bjcotton (What kind of pumpkin...)
I used to grow them - for the grandkids mostly. When you do get some going, Maryann, have the little ones carve their initials early on and it's fun to watch their initial grow as the pumpkins grow. Plus, they all had fun seeing who's grew fastest.

(we'll worry about recipes later.... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does anybody grow pumpkins? by cjs (I used to grow them ...)
Billy, I have no idea what the varieties are because Ron planted them and all he remembers is that some are big and some are small. I know, that's not much help....

Jean, that's a great idea about having the little ones carve their initials. We might have to do it for them, but they will still think it's fun.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anybody grow pumpkins? by Mare749 (Billy, I have no ide...)
Yeah, that's a good idea. A couple of years ago I did that with Butternut squash I was growing. I then sent one to Illinois to a friend. It had her name on it. I'll see if I can find the pictures.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Does anybody grow pumpkins? by bjcotton (Yeah, that's a good ...)
Oh, I hope you do! I would love to see that!

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anybody grow pumpkins? by Mare749 (Oh, I hope you do! ...)
I love pumpkin, I have only grown them once. Queensland blue, they were. Quite a dry pumpkin of excellent flavour. I dryed them off well, stored them on dry slats, and they lasted until pumpkin was cheap again.