A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe?
  Re: (...)
An upscale grocery store used to make a Jalapeno Potato Salad that was quite tasty. They don't make it anymore. Do you have one? Please?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe? by bjcotton (An upscale grocery s...)
Billy, have a potato salad recipe that has a creamy dressing, guess it would be the typical potato salad dressing (mayo, sour cream, etc.) and has a jalapeno relish added. Is this something like what you are looking for? Will post if it is.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe? by bjcotton (An upscale grocery s...)
Billy, why don't you make your favorite p. salad and add jalapeno relish or minced jalapeno or, because I know you and family are not too fond of heat, why not add a poblano????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe? by cjs (Billy, why don't you...)
I don't have a favorite potato salad Jean

Linda, that would be great. All the ones I found had feta cheese crumbled in them and we aren't that fond of feta. Also, we just happen to have a few jars of Jalapeno relish hanging around.

Billy
  Re: Re: A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe? by bjcotton (I don't have a favor...)
OK, Billy...will pull the recipe and post it for you. You already have the jalepeno relish, so that's half the battle! Never heard of a potato salad with feta cheese in it. Doesn't even sound good and I love both, but not together! Sounds too heavy. Anyway...

Be back shortly with the recipe!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe? by bjcotton (I don't have a favor...)
Billy, here is the recipe. It is best when made ahead, not necessarily a day ahead but even if you make it first thing in the morning, it is great to go by dinnertime. It is perfect for summertime picnics and get-togethers. This is also a good "basic" potato salad leaving out all of the pepper factor and cilantro which can be changed to fresh parsley or omitted completely. The Dijon mustard really gives this salad an updated taste (vs. using regular yellow mustard.) We love this recipe and have used it at BBQ's, parties, etc., and there are never any leftovers. Even those who never eat potato salad for whatever reason, ask for the recipe! Hope you enjoy it just as much!

If you are not that much of a "hot" fan, you can leave out the hot pepper sauce completely, or add to your taste. Same with the jalapeno relish, using more or less. When I first made this I left out the Tabasco and added it after letting it sit, using less than called for. Also I do not use as much of the pepper relish as this recipe calls for. Just like everything else, I guess, to your taste!

INGREDIENTS:

6 medium red potatoes*, peeled and cubed (approx. 1-1/2 lbs)
2 celery ribs, diced
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper relish, well drained, lightly patted dry with paper towels. (If jalapeno relish is not available, may also use fresh, 2 small jalapeƱo peppers, seeded and finely chopped (Use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face.)It is the seeds and white veins inside the peppers where the heat is generated; remove as much of this as possible if you are looking for a milder heat.
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
3 level tablespoons spicy brown mustard
5-6 dashes or up to 3 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, (the green Tabasco sauce, chipolte), optional
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon lightly packed chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool to room temperature.

2. In a large serving bowl, combine potatoes, celery, eggs, onion, and jalapeƱos.

3. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, hot pepper sauce, cumin, cilantro, and pepper.

4. Pour over potato mixture and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate. Overnight is best but just as good if made first thing in the morning and be ready for dinner.

Serves: 5

NOTES: Can use any white starchy potato, except for bakers, in place of the red potatoes. Tried the "gold" potatoes and the taste was altered quite significantly, would not use those again. Russets are good.

Depending on how hot you like your salad, can add more or less of peppers and pepper sauce.

Can use "light" mayo in place of regular without sacrificing taste.

Can use "light" sour cream" in place of regular without sacrificing taste.

Omit all peppers, pepper sauce, etc., except for ground black pepper, omit cilantro, add regular pickle relish to replace jalapeno relish, and this makes a fantastic "regular" potato salad.

May add fresh or dried dill in place of parsley.

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe? by MUSICMAKER (Billy, here is the r...)
Thank you Linda, that sounds delightful. My niece is graduating from college in a couple of weeks and she had requested her "Bunky Bill" [that's what she has called me since she was little] to make some Jalapeno Potato Salad. If she wants something special she always calls me knowing if I don't have a recipe I'll search until I find one. You, my dear, just saved me a bunch of searching

Billy
  Re: Re: A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe? by bjcotton (Thank you Linda, tha...)
Glad to have helped, Billy! I'm sure she will like this...we made it this year for my son's graduation and it was gone before it was even set out! How nice about your niece graduating from college! Surely you are proud! Love the name, too, "Bunky"!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe? by MUSICMAKER (Glad to have helped,...)
I will be making it this weekend just to get in practice while there's someone here to help with Fredia. We'll give you a "review". It'll also help us to decide how much relish to use. Wasn't that Marilyn Monroe that was in "Some Like It Hot?"

Billy
  Re: Re: A tried & true Jalapeno potato salad recipe? by MUSICMAKER (Glad to have helped,...)
Darn! That sounds sooooo good that I'm going to have to make it very very soon. Thank you for sharing.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!