Lamb Shanks????
  Re: (...)
I need a new 'favorite' for lamb shanks - I'm thawing a pkg. right now. Thinking of doing this one from an old Bon Appetit.

BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND SHALLOTS

Lamb Shanks
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound onions, sliced
5 large shallots, sliced (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons dried
6 3/4- to 1-pound lamb shanks
all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups dry red wine
2 1/2 cups canned beef broth
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 bay leaves

For lamb shanks:
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and shallots and sauté until brown, about 20 minutes. Mix in 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary. Remove from heat.
Sprinkle lamb shanks with salt and pepper; coat lamb with flour. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Working in batches, all lamb shanks to skillet and cook until brown on both sides, about 10 minutes per batch. Using tongs, transfer lamb shanks to plate. Add 1 cup dry red wine to same skillet and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Pour into Dutch oven with onion mixture. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups red wine, canned beef broth, tomato paste and 2 bay leaves to dutch oven. Bring to boil, stirring until tomato paste dissolves. Add lamb shanks, turning to coat with liquid.
Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lamb is almost tender, turning lamb shanks occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Uncover Dutch oven and boil until liquid is reduced to sauce consistency, stirring and turning lamb shanks occasionally, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Potato and Root vegetable mash
3 large russet potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
3 rutabagas (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled, halved, thinly sliced
6 small parsnips (about 14 ounces), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
For Mash:
Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add potatoes, rutabagas and parsnips. Boil until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well.
Return vegetables to same pot. Mash until coarse puree forms. Mix in 3 tablespoons olive oil. Season vegetables to taste with salt and pepper. (Vegetable mash can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm over low heat, stirring frequently.) Transfer vegetables to bowl and serve.
Spoon Potato and Root Vegetable Mash onto plates. Top vegetables with lamb shanks and sauce. Sprinkle lamb shanks with additional chopped fresh rosemary and serve.

Serves 6.

Bon Appétit
January 1996
-------

But, does anyone out there have a favorite they can recommend - maybe I'll save this recipe for the next pkg. if you do!! Thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lamb Shanks???? by cjs (I need a new 'favori...)
We had lamb shanks Saturday. Just braised them with red wine, turnips, carrots, and leeks with lots of fresh oregano and rosemary. Actually we didn't want to heat the oven up so we put the pan on the big BBQ with indirect heat - they were sooooo good served over polenta.

Your recipe sounds really good! I'll have to put it on the "to do soon" pile. We were both wondering why we don't have lamb shanks more often???????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Lamb Shanks???? by Harborwitch (We had lamb shanks S...)
"We were both wondering why we don't have lamb shanks more often???????" - me too, we love them also. Good idea to do them on the grill. If it turns warm again ( PLEASE, GOD!), I'll do that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lamb Shanks???? by cjs ("We were both wonder...)
We're finally cooling down a little bit - thank heavens - upper 80's are going to feel really good after upper 90's! Wish I could send some of our heat your way!

Bob loves that big grill - he can dial the temp. he wants in and keep it there as long as he needs . . . . or until the propane runs out
  Re: Re: Lamb Shanks???? by Harborwitch (We're finally coolin...)
Harborwitch, where are you located that the weather is cooling down? Can you send some this way?!?!?!

Jean, here we go again, the "like minds think alike" phenomenon . . .we had lamb on Sunday and used the recipe from C@H ...there is an Asian BBQ or a plain BBQ (meaning no Asian flare) and then in issue 38 there is a recipe for braised shanks. The first one mentioned here is in issue 44. There are also tips on what to do with the leftovers! Sides, too! :
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Lamb Shanks???? by cjs (I need a new 'favori...)
The lamb shanks sound delicious, esp. w/the caramalized onions, but the mash sounds even better-I think root veggies are so underutilized. I'd do them several times a week if I had the audience.

Go for it!

It's 98 degrees here right now, feels like 100 something, it's humid. Cold front coming through tonight, I don't like the heat (I have my own, thank you)

PJ
  Re: Re: Lamb Shanks???? by MUSICMAKER (Harborwitch, where a...)
"but the mash sounds even better-I think root veggies are so underutilized." - me too, PJ - I've got a couple of soups that I love to do with root veggies in the winter.

Linda, thanks, I'll go check out the C@H archives....(I feel guilty everytime I say that outloud... )
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lamb Shanks???? by pjcooks (The lamb shanks soun...)
The only good thing I can say about the heat is that it makes it hard to tell if you're having a hot flash, I mean power surge!

It's been close to a 100 all week - today's supposed to be the beginning of a cooling trend! The Central Valley of California is too hot!
  Re: Re: Lamb Shanks???? by Harborwitch (The only good thing ...)
Quote:

The only good thing I can say about the heat is that it makes it hard to tell if you're having a hot flash, I mean power surge!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Lamb Shanks???? by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
We used to buy lamb shanks by the crate for the rest home. Nobody else wanted them. We always had at least 500 on hand. Used for many things lamby. They were 20c each then, about $6 each now. It was the same shanks from the same sheep. I hate it when things get popular.