Need cucumber recipes!
  Re: (...)
Okay, I finally used the last zucchini yesterday (of the 18 pounds I picked after being away for 5 days) then picked 3 more last night. But that's managable (for now). What I need help with is cucumbers.

I've made a Greek salad and a raita. And my poor husband keeps getting cucumber sticks to munch on (what? he asks Is there no raspberry pie left?).

I need some interesting recipes that are not pickles! I have about 5 pounds of these left to use (and more ripening, but I'm trying really, really hard not to think of that!).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Need cucumber recipes! by foodfiend (Okay, I finally used...)
Nothing very fancy - but I often use cucumber slices as crackers (especially when watching my growing waistline) for chicken and tuna salad for lunch. How about as an appetizer with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or cucumber tea sandwiches.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Need cucumber recipes! by esgunn (Nothing very fancy -...)
Quote:

Nothing very fancy - but I often use cucumber slices as crackers (especially when watching my growing waistline) for chicken and tuna salad for lunch. How about as an appetizer with cream cheese and smoked salmon, or cucumber tea sandwiches.

Thanks for the idea Erin. I don't need fancy-- this will work with tuna salad for lunch tomorrow!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
I will post later one for an Asian Cuke Salad & a Cucumber/Spinach soup. Try Old Bay's Cukes with Chicken & Lemon Sauce (below). If you have the other ingredients, I also recommend trying the gazpacho.

Quote:

I can't believe I never told you all about this one. Great summer dish!!
2 large English cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4 inch slices (4 cups).
7 T unsalted butter , room temp.

1 T plus 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/8 t white pepper
6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves

1 t olive oil
1 C chicken stock

1 C whipping cream
2 T plus 1 t fresh lemon juice
2 T minced fresh dill

Place cukes in colander--sprinkle with salt and toss--drain for 1 hour. Pat dry. Melt 3 T butter in heavy large skillet over med heat. Add cuke and saute until just brown--7 min.--set aside
In small cup, mix 1 T flour and 1 T butter to smooth paste. Set aside.
Place remaining 1/2 C flour in shallow baking dish. Add white pepper and season with salt. Coat chicken with flour mixture an shake off excess.

Melt remaining 3 T butter with oil in another heavy large skillet over high heat. Add chicken breasts and saute until brown, abt 2 min/side. Add 1/2 C stock, reduce heat to med, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked thru, abou 4 min. Transfer chicken to platter

Add remaining 1/2 cup stock to same skillet. Increase heat to high and boil until reduced to 1/4 cup--abt 3 min. Add cream and bring to a boil. Whisk in flour butter paste--return to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened to sauce consistency, stirring frequently.(abt 2 min) Stir in lemon juice and 1 T dill. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Add chicken and cukes to sauce and heat thru. Transfer chicken to plates and spoon sauce and cukes over. Sprinkle with remaining dill. I like to make extra sauce and serve the dish over spinach linguine. Serves 6.

This recipe from Cooking Light is delicious! The flavor from the sesame oil really makes the dish.

Cucumber Salad with Rice Vinegar Dressing

3 cups thinly sliced seeded peeled cucumber (about 2 medium)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl; toss to coat cucumber. Sprinkle with onions and peanuts before serving.

Yield: 6 servings
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: Re: Need cucumber recipes! by jenni (This recipe from Coo...)
oh my, wouldn't this be good with spring rolls?? Thanks Jenni for the idea. duly copied

here's a salsa that's good with grilled pork...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pineapple Cucumber Salsa

1 20-ounce can pineapple tidbits -- drained (fresh is better - I guess I needn't say that... )
2 medium diced cucumbers -- peeled and seeded
2 tablespoons fresh mint
1/2 seeded jalapeño pepper -- finely chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon ginger root -- grated
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

In large bowl, mix together drained pineapple tidbits, cucumbers, fresh mint, jalapeño pepper (use rubber gloves when handling pepper), brown sugar, grated ginger root and fresh lime juice. Cover and refrigerate 4-24 hours.

Yield:
"3 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Bill's Chick, Cuke w/Lemon Sauce was very good. And I love smoked turkey sandwiches w/boursin and cuke!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Need cucumber recipes! by pjcooks (Bill's Chick, Cuke w...)
Thanks, everyone! All copied and on my memory key to print tomorrow.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Need cucumber recipes! by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This is a nice light/refreshing tasting sauce which is great with any type of salmon dish (especially salmon pie). I also use it for a salad dressing.

Chilled cucumber sauce

Makes about 1 cup

1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated onion
1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded. grated and well drained
1 TBS minced fresh parsley
2 tsps vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

OOPS!!! Comes from Bon Appetit
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Need cucumber recipes! by Roxanne 21 (This is a nice light...)
I can't believe it!!! We ate this Sunday nite on Salmon!! The only thingwe changed was we used minced shallot instead of parsley and added a dash of Cayenne. Very, very good.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".