Somebody Try This For Me, Please :)
  Re: (...)
Here is a recipe I saw today. The flavors sound good, but....I thought surely one of you would like to try it then let me know how it was.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grilled Pork Loin with Apple-Cranberry Filling on a Charcoal Grill

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Pork-Ham

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces)
1 large shallot -- halved lengthwise and sliced thin crosswise (about 1/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups dried apples (packed) -- 4 ounces
1/2 cup dried cranberries (packed) -- 2 1/2 ounces
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds (see note above)
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- (1/8 to 1/4)

FOR THE FILLING: Bring all ingredients to simmer in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until apples are very soft, about 20 minutes. Push mixture through fine-mesh strainer to extract as much liquid as possible. Return liquid to saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes; reserve glaze. Meanwhile, pulse apple mixture in food processor until uniformly coarsely chopped, about fifteen 1-second pulses. Transfer filling to bowl and refrigerate while preparing pork.

FOR THE PORK: Soak wood chunks in water for 1 hour. Meanwhile, following illustrations 1 through 3 above, cut meat to even 1/2-inch thickness. Season inside liberally with salt and spread apple filling in even layer, leaving 1/2-inch border (illustration 4). Roll tightly and tie with twine at 1-inch intervals (illustrations 5 and 6). Season exterior liberally with salt and pepper.

Light large chimney starter filled with 5 quarts of charcoal (about 85 briquettes) and allow to burn until coals are fully ignited and covered with thin layer of ash, about 20 minutes. Build modified two-level fire by arranging coals to cover one half of grill. Drain wood chunks and place on coals. Open bottom vent fully. Position cooking grate over coals, cover grill, and heat grate until hot, about 5 minutes; scrape grate clean with grill brush. Lightly dip wad of paper towels in oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate.

Place roast, fat-side up, on grate over cool side of grill. Cover grill and position vent, halfway open, over roast to draw smoke through grill. Grill-roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast registers 130 to 135 degrees, 55 to 70 minutes, flipping once halfway through cooking time. Brush roast with half of reserved glaze; flip and brush with remaining glaze. (You may need to reheat glaze briefly to make spreadable.) Continue to cook until glaze is glossy and sticky, about 5 minutes longer.

Transfer roast to cutting board, loosely tent with foil, and let rest for 15 minutes. (Internal temperature should rise to about 145 degrees.) Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, removing twine as you cut. Serve immediately.

Source:
"COOK's Illustrated"

NOTES : This recipe is best prepared with a loin that is 7 to 8 inches long and 4 to 5 inches wide. To make cutting the pork easier, freeze it for 30 minutes. If mustard seeds are unavailable, stir an equal amount of whole-grain mustard into the filling after the apples have been processed. The pork loin can be stuffed and tied a day ahead of time, but don't season the exterior until you are ready to grill.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Somebody Try This For Me, Please :) by bjcotton (Here is a recipe I s...)
Ok I have a pork roast I'll do it this weekend!
If it has allspice and cayenne in it, it can't be all bad. LOL!

For that matter, just replace the ginger with Scotch-bonnet peppers and increase the allspice (and put some allspice branches or berries in with the coals), and you'd have an interesting, fruity variation on jerk chicken.

Either way, sounds yummy.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
hmmmm, sounds delicious, Billy - have everything but the dried apples and that can be easily remedied

...and why are you not trying this your own self? You're back home to the trusty grill of your choice...c'mon try it with us.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Somebody Try This For Me, Please :) by cjs (hmmmm, sounds delici...)
I plan on trying it, but it may be a while. Settling in will take some time since we've been gone so long.

Billy
  Re: Re: Somebody Try This For Me, Please :) by bjcotton (I plan on trying it,...)
That sounds really good Billy! I have a pork butt in the freezer - but we've got to go to Costco sooon! Hmmmm!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
About a week ago, Billy, you may recall that I put out a post for pork loin recipes -- new/different recipes. Well, this is one of the reasons why! (Also, didn't know if it would be "appropriate" to rate recipes from another cooking magazine...shhhh! )

We have had this meal many times, Billy. Too many times to tell you how many! I have even used fresh apples, and have also used dried cherries in place of the dried cranberries, which we actually liked better than the cranberries. Have also used a mixture of the cherries and cranberries when I didn't have enough of one or the other and even this is excellent.

I have served this for dinner for some very prominent guests (like Bishops and Cardinals) and it went over very well. In fact, when some of them have returned for dinner, they have actually requested it. It makes a very, very beautiful presentation. And taste, well, apples and pork are a "natural" go-together, like lamb and mint, if a comparison need be made. The apples also impart some moisture which we all know the better pieces of pork always need due to their being so lean. The addition of the cherries or cranberries are a "bonus", adding that "pop" of flavor, that sweet and sour burst, and are the icing on the cake when pared with the apples. The vinegar is barely noticable and has left my guests wondering what that elusive flavor is (I leave them guessing!), and the spices -- well, everything just compliments everything else. Whomever developed this recipe came up with a good one.

This is definitely a keeper for us and if I had to rate it, definitely a 10.

(edit) P.S. I used Dijon mustard, and less than what is called for (1-1/2 teaspoons) because when I first made this, we didn't care for the mustard seed taste. Too "mustard-y" (is that even a word?) In our opinion, we prefer the Dijon and the spiciness it gives.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Somebody Try This For Me, Please :) by DFen911 (Ok I have a pork roa...)
OKAY---I'm gonna get a pork roast and do this really soon---how on earth did I miss that one from CI___
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Somebody Try This For Me, Please :) by MUSICMAKER (About a week ago, Bi...)
" didn't know if it would be "appropriate" to rate recipes from another cooking magazine" - Linda, we are all so faithful about trying C@H recipes, there is no way the 'powers that be' could ever criticize us for throwing in reviews of other recipes where ever they come from. We all toss out great recipes whenever we run across one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Somebody Try This For Me, Please :) by Roxanne 21 (OKAY---I'm gonna get...)
It's a loin Roxanne, not a pork roast. There is a difference...isn't there?

Billy