Canning Day.....Kinda
  Re: (...)
I'm going to put up some foods today and just have some fun in the kitchen. Years ago, I canned everything, but now I seem to freeze more than can - with just the two of us and no kids handy to raid the pantry as they go home...

I don't remember if I posted this so simple bread & butter pickle recipe last summer or not, but here it is again. These are not canned, just kept in the fridge and we pig out all summer on batches of them.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bread & Butter Pickles

2 cups light brown sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
10 whole cloves
10 allspice berries
1 3/4 pounds Kirby cucumbers -- sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (about 6 cups) or whatever kind you prefer
2 medium yellow onions -- thinly sliced

1. In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, turmeric, cloves and allspice and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.

Add the cucumbers and onions and simmer over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until the cucumbers darken, about 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat. Let cool, then refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

MAKES ABOUT 6 CUPS

-------

These are the ones I made for years and could never make enuf to last!!!!
BREAD & BUTTER PICKLES

My mother and I have been making these particular pickles since 1950 - it has to be one of the first recipes I ever made.

6 quarts sliced cucumbers
12 large onions, sliced
2 quarts cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons white mustard seed
2 Tablespoons turmeric
2 Tablespoons celery seed
1 cup salt

Sprinkle salt over the cucumbers and onions; let stand overnight.
Boil the rest of the ingredients together until sugar is dissolved.

Wash salt from the cucumbers and onions and put in hot syrup.
Fill jars with the pickles and brine and seal according to canning procedures.
-----

I picked up three #10 cans of tomato sauce for Marinara sauce and I'm now making this heart healthy sauce (from Don't Eat Your Heart Out) -

MARINARA SAUCE

28 ounces plum tomatoes -- canned
2 T. tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1 T. brown sugar
1 bay leaf.
1 T. olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar

In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, pepper, garlic, brown sugar and bay leaf. Gently simmer for 30 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
After the 30 min. taste and add more basil and oregano if needed - this time add fresh if possible.

Stir in the olive oil and vinegar and simmer for 30 minutes more.

For using as a pizza sauce, allow the sauce to simmer the first time for 1 hour to thicken. Then add the olive oil and vinegar for another 30 minute simmer.

Note: For a change of pace, add a parmesan rind at the beginning of cooking.

----

And lastly, Roy just ate the last container of Poblano Corn Chowder last week, so will make up a couple batches of this from [Email]C@H[/Email] Issue #40 - Aug. '03 - it's wonderful to have on hand.

Poblano Corn Chowder
(Cuisine at home, August 2003, Issue 40, p. 30)
Makes: About 7 Cups

Cut Kernels from:
8 ears sweet corn (4 cups)

Puree:
2 cups corn kernels
1 cup whole or 2% milk

Saute in 2 T. Vegetable Oil:
2 poblano chiles, seeded, diced
1 1/2 cups white onion, diced
1 t. garlic, minced

Add:
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups corn kernels
1 t. sugar
1 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. cayenne

Stir in:
Pureed corn
1 1/2 cups tomato, diced
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Garnish with:
Chopped fresh cilantro
Diced avocado
Lime slices

Cut kernels from ears of corn.

Puree 2 cups corn kernels and milk in a blender.

Saute chiles, onion, and garlic in oil in soup pot over medium heat. Cook 4 - 5 minutes.

Add broth, remaining corn, and seasonings. Simmer 5 minutes.

Stir in pureed corn, tomato, and cheese. Simmer to heat through and melt cheese, about 3 minutes.

Garnish servings of soup with cilantro, avocado, and lime.

----

And that's what I'm doing today! Dinner will be leftover Lamb shanks - oh God, those are so good. Because it makes so much, I was able to divide the sauce into three containers and split the meat (I only cooked two shanks) between two of the containers. So, the third one I'm thinking will be really good over some mushroom raviolis I picked up the other day.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Canning Day.....Kinda by cjs (I'm going to put up ...)
Great sounding marinara sauce, Jean! Have fun! I don't think I'll do much canning this year. I'm trying to empty the cold room.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Canning Day.....Kinda by cjs (I'm going to put up ...)
Thanks for posting the pickle recipes, Jean.

The recipe you posted for the ones you made with your mom is the exact recipe that my dad used since I was a little girl, and I still use to this day!!! (It also keeps my dad alive in my heart!) It is a good one, isn't it! I like the one, also, that you don't can and will try those now since cukes are not out just yet here to really get into canning. We just love bread and butter pickles!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Canning Day.....Kinda by Lorraine (Great sounding marin...)
I screwed up!!!! A wonderful screw up, but one never the less. That is not my normal Poblano & Corn Chowder recipe that I make - I don't know when I printed out this C@H recipe, but IS IT EVER GOOD!! I've never put Feta in a soup like this. It's a darn good thing we like it, cause I made two batches!

Years ago, my mom and I used to laugh the way she dirtied every dish in the house when she cooked - and she DID NOT clean up as she went along. I could not stand that, but, this a.m. I had so many dishes going at the same time, my kitchen looked just like hers used to.

So, I'm sending her this picture -
[Image: kitchensink.jpg]

...and I so hope she still has these memories -

Anyway, my house sure smells good and a shelf in the freezer sure looks good also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Canning Day.....Kinda by cjs (I screwed up!!!! A w...)
Well for heaven sakes Jean! Even when there were several of us cooking in your kitchen it didn't look like that
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
That's just too funny, Jean! Happy cleaning! (don't you just hate that part of cooking???!!! )
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Canning Day.....Kinda by MUSICMAKER (That's just too funn...)
Waaaay off topic!

Jean, what kind of tap is that? It looks fabulous! ( even if the top is cut off!!)
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Jean - do you think the Poblano Corn Chowder you made before was from the Splendid soups? No feta - just chopped fresh tomato on top. Which one would you say is better? I bought some really good corn at our local Yakima Vegi stand today and they had about 8 kinds of peppers - just no poblanos. I had really thought I might make that chowder. Now I am on the hunt for poblanos.
And I'll just have to get more corn - we ate all that I bought!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Poblano Corn Chowder by esgunn (Jean - do you think ...)
Jean, your bench/sink is a mess, clean it up forthwith.

I must tell you I am so looking forward to the tomato season this year, Lizzie wants to learn how to can (bottle) so we will be starting off with this.
  Re: Re: Poblano Corn Chowder by esgunn (Jean - do you think ...)
Lorraine, the faucet set up is a home style take off of the industrial one – I really like it. So easy to use when hands are full of goop.

Erin, yes the soup I thot I was making is from the Splendid Soups Book – just found it. Which did we like better? Hmmm, loved both – two things, the one from the book has heavy cream and the tomato concasse garnish, while the one from the mag. has no cream and lots more tomatoes plus the feta, which is such a nice addition…if you like feta.

Also erin, I'm finding markets mis-lable poblanos as passillas or ancho so often around here.
www.achefsjourney.com