Trip to Victoria - Finally!!
  Re: (...)
We've lived up here almost 2 years now and hadn't gotten to Victoria on the ferry! Last week, I just put it on the calendar, in ink, and we took the trip yesterday. What a beautiful city and a fun one also. We walked our a$$es off - had planned on taking a bus/taxi to get around, but tried walking first and we just ended up continuing - boy, do I feel it this a.m., but it's a good 'feel'!!

Met an old friend of some of ours - from the old place we all used to visit... remember Harbourchef/Ben Cram?? He's got the neatest little cafe on N. Park St. He used to chef in one of the better restaurants, but decided he wanted more time with his growing family, so branched out on his own. The Parsonage Cafe was packed the whole time we were there, which surprised us because it's really in an out of the way location, but the locals are very loyal to him and word of mouth is spreading his excellent cooking style. And, he is just a little cutie to boot!!

[Image: BENANDJEAN.jpg]

I had Salad Nicoise and Roy had a Mac & Cheese (oh boy, was that tasty!!) and a bowl of onion soup - everything was just delicious. He also roasts coffee beans in this huge machine which makes the cafe hotter than hell, but those folks don't seem to mind. We were lucky to grab a table just outside where it was nice and cool. He does plan to expand upstairs and move all the coffee bean paraphernalia which will certainly help the temperature downstairs.

Anyway, it was so fun to meet another old friend of almost 5 years for the first time. The jar is a little present I took over for him - Boysenberry Mustard, which is so good on cheese and crackers!!

I'm ready to go back over, it's such a fun place. Lorraine, we, of course, brot home some more maple syrup and managed a bottle of Mission Hill Estate '04 Merlot from a great little wine bar on Government St.

What a fun day!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Trip to Victoria - Finally!! by cjs (We've lived up here ...)
HOW FUN!!!! Memories to cherish
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Trip to Victoria - Finally!! by Roxanne 21 (HOW FUN!!!! Memor...)
You finally made it to Canada, Jean!!! Now if you kept travelling a bit more East.... Isn't Victoria a pretty town? Next time, see if you can find wine from Grey Monk vineyard. They don't produce much, and for the longest time never shipped it outside BC. I'm finally seeing a few bottles here.

What a great picture of you two!! He sure does look like his Mom (I knew her in another city). Really glad to hear he's doing well!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Trip to Victoria - Finally!! by Roxanne 21 (HOW FUN!!!! Memor...)
We love Victoria. We celebrated an anniversary at the big hotel several years ago. The food was good there too. It was a few years before that, the first time we visited Seattle in July. It reached 100 and we had no AC!!! The best part of the trip was the COOL ride on the clipper!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
Victoria is a beautiful place!!! Looks like you had a great time with Ben!

Is that bosenberry mustard recipe posted somewhere?
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Trip to Victoria - Finally!! by bbally (Victoria is a beauti...)
The spread looks yummy, Jean! BBALLY beat me to the request for the recipe. Is it posted or will you share it now?
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
It looks like you had a fabulous time, Jean. One of these days, er, years, I'm going to do a little traveling myself.

That's a great pic of the two of you-yah, he is pretty cute!
I'm glad you had a good time, makes up for the road trip a little?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Trip to Victoria - Finally!! by pjcooks (It looks like you h...)
Make 'em beg Jean I thought you were going to wait for me to go with you Yeah right!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Great Trip
we haven't been to Victoria for several years
Just love the City - great museums ! and fun little
restaurants.

Did you go to the Gardens? they are great they used to
have Fireworks at night -
Would like to go again -
marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Trip to Victoria - Finally!! by mjkcooking (Great Trip [br]we ha...)
got tired of waiting, Billy J...

There is a Titanic exhibition at the museum which we really wanted to see, but we were told to plan for 3 hours for it and we were only there for the day, so didn't do it this trip. Didn't go to the gardens either - I've seen them (when a kid) and we're taking some friends in Sept., so decided to just explore this time. After seeing ChinaTown, I want to allot at least a day to wander there!! What a beautiful city.

BLACKBERRY MUSTARD

I have no idea where this recipe came from, have made it for a number of years. I started using this mustard with meat and poultry, but quickly found what a nice addition to a cheese and cracker platter.

1 cup fresh blackberries (or huckleberries)
1/4 cup plus 3 T. Dijon mustard
3 T. honey
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard

Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add blackberries.
Process 1 minute or till smooth; strain and discard seeds.

Combine berry puree, Dijon mustard, and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir well.
Serve sauce with grilled or roasted pork, beef, or chicken.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to two weeks. Makes 1 cup
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com