Recipe review - Homemade Cream of Tomato soup and
  Re: (...)
Bleu Tomato Paninis. YUUUMMMMMMMM!

We have kind of been under the weather here for the past 2 days. . . it has actually been "cool" here, requiring something extra (light jacket/sweater), so between not feeling up to snuff and it cooling off, this was a perfect resolution.

Don't know if anyone out there has made the homemade cream of tomato soup, but it is absolutely delicious! (Issue 52, August 2005, page 25). The recipe calls for a dollop of heavy whipped cream to finish the soup off, did not have any, so put in some crumbled bleu. WOW! Very different and very, very yummy!!! The tomato soup was definitely "smooth and creamy" and the addition of the bleu cheese added that zap, the tang that bleu has. It was just enough, not over the edge.

Also made the Bleu Tomato sandwiches but used my new Panini grill vs. the traditional fry pan grilled cheese method the recipe calls for. These, too, were fabulous! (same issue, opposite page, 24).

Both of these are updates on the traditional, comfort foods, and are definitely on the make again soon list!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Recipe review - Homemade Cream of Tomato soup and by MUSICMAKER (Bleu Tomato Paninis....)
Whoa Linda...any leftovers? Need my address so you can send 'em?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Recipe review - Homemade Cream of Tomato soup and by bjcotton (Whoa Linda...any lef...)
thanks for the reminder on this - it's been marked forever!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Recipe review - Homemade Cream of Tomato soup and by MUSICMAKER (Bleu Tomato Paninis....)
Don't have that issue, but here's the recipe I use. Would be interesting to compare.

CREAMY TOMATO SOUP

Serves 4

2 Tbsp Butter or margarine
1 Onion, chopped
2 Lb Roma tomatoes, peeled and quartered
2 Carrots, chopped
2 Cups Chicken stock
2 Tbsp Chopped fresh parsley
1/2 Tsp Fresh thyme leaves, plus extra to garnish
5 Tbsp Whipping cream
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper

1) Melt the butter or margarine in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft.

2) Stir in the tomatoes, carrots, chicken stock, parsley, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

3) Purée the soup in a vegetable mill until smooth. Return the puréed soup to the saucepan.

4) Stir in the cream and reheat slowly. Season the soup to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Ladle into warm soup bowls and serve piping hot, garnished with fresh thyme leaves.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recipe review - Homemade Cream of Tomato soup and by cjs (thanks for the remin...)
I made this and it was really good---I will think about the blue cheese next time----nice twist--great review!!!!

The splendid soups recipe was great also---do you have that one???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
That sounds great - the tomatoes are coming on - any chance you could post the recipes - if I have that issue it's somewhere in the garage buried under stuff we haven't unpacked and stuff Jennifer moved into the garage!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Recipe review - Homemade Cream of Tomato soup by Harborwitch (That sounds great - ...)
Quote:

. . . could you post the recipes - if I have that issue it's somewhere in the garage buried under stuff we haven't unpacked. . .

Don't you wonder if the unpacking will ever get done??!!!

For those of you who requested the recipes, here they are. Enjoy!

Makes 8 cups
Total time: 1 hour

PEEL, SEED, AND DICE:
4 pounds tomatoes (6 cups), divided

SAUTE IN
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup carrot, grated
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 sprigs fresh thyme

STIR IN:
4 cups of prepared tomatoes

ADD, SIMMER; PUREE:
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar

STIR IN; SIMMER:
2 cups prepared tomatoes

FINISH WITH:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup half and half or whole milk

GARNISH WITH:
Whipped heavy whipped cream
Minced fresh parsley
Minced lemon zest

DIRECTIONS:

Peel, seed, and dice tomatoes; set aside.
Saute onion, celery, carrot, tomato paste, garlic, and seasonings in butter in a soup pot over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until softened.
Stir in 4 cups of the tomatoes; simmer for 10 minutes.
Add broth, lemon juice, and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove thyme sprigs and puree the soup. Return to the pot.
Stir in remaining tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
Finish with butter, allowing it to melt before adding the half and half.
Garnish each serving with a dollop of whipped cream, parsley, and zest.

Nutrition: Per one cup. 139 calories, 50% calories from fat; 8g total fat, 16g carbs; 321 mg. sodium; 3g fiber; 4g protein

BLEU / GORGONZOLA TOMATO PANINI

Makes 4 sandwiches
Total time: 15 minutes

COMBINE:
1 cup Gorgonzola, crumbled (4 oz), room temperature
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature

SPREAD, LAYER, GRILL:
8 slices crusty Italian or other hearty bread
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 large slicing tomatoes, cut into 8 slices, 1/4 inch thick
16 large basil leaves

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the panini grill.
2. Combine cheese and 2 tablespoons butter.
3. Spread plain butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.
4. With buttered sides down, divide the gorgonzola butter evenly between 4 of the slices; spread evenly.
5. Layer tomato and basil on cheese, then top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
6. Place the sandwiches on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden and the cheese has melted.
7. Remove from the grill and let stand for several minutes to make cutting easier.

NOTES: Can be made stovetop or on another type of grill. Cook sandwiches for 2-3 minutes or until undersides are golden and the cheese begins to melt. Turn sandwiches and press firmly with the spatula. Cook 2-3 minutes more, or until bread is golden and the cheese has heated through. Turn once more, press with the spatula and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from the griddle and let stand for 3 minutes to make cutting easier.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Recipe review - Homemade Cream of Tomato soup by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks for posting it! At the farmer's market, bushels of roma tomatoes were only $10.00.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Recipe review - Homemade Cream of Tomato soup by Lorraine (Thanks for posting i...)
Quote:

Thanks for posting it! At the farmer's market, bushels of roma tomatoes were only $10.00.

Oddly enough, here in Honduras, the Roma tomatoes actually cost LESS than the regular tomatoes. An interesting note about language and terminology, too: They call the regular tomatoes "tomates manzanas" or "apple tomatoes." They call the plum (Roma) tomatoes "tomates peras" or "pear tomatoes." Cherry tomatoes are the same: "tomates cerezas." They don't have the other, varietal distinctions of the regular tomatoes (i.e. no "Beefsteak," "Rutgers," etc.). The Roma tomatoes I usually get are about 60 cents per pound, while the regular tomatoes are about 75, and are not as good.

But a bushel for $10 is fantastic! That's about 20 cents per pound!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recipe review - Homemade Cream of Tomato soup by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I think there's a bumper crop of them this year. Last year I paid about $14.00 a bushel. They'll only be that cheap for a few weeks, then it will be back to paying $4.00 a lb in the grocery store. Sure is fun while it lasts!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.