Chocolate Zucchini Espresso Loaf - Dry!
  Re: (...)
Most of you know how I feel about pastry/baking...do not like to do it!!!! But, I do understand bakers and pastry chefs are a necessary evil in the world and I do need to come whining to them every once in a while to prostrate myself on their altar of knowledge..... (please, I'm kidding....kind of....)

OK, all you bakers out there - I finally have my zucchini loaf exactly as I want it taste-wise, but...after a few hours, it is really dry. I need to moisten it up a tad, but I'm not sure what to add or increase to achieve this without affecting the flavor...too much. Here's the recipe -

Sift together;
2 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cups cocoa
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/2 T. Espresso coffee powder

In a separate bowl:
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
4 eggs

Add to the sugar mixture:
2/3 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup milk
1 cup nuts
1 tsp. vanilla

Add to dry ingredients.

I baked at 350 until probe was barely clean when inserted into center.
----

note one - I was out of a.p. flour so used bread flour, would that make such a difference?

note/question two - would decreasing the flour to 2 cups take care of the problem?

note/question three - adding another egg????

note/question four - should it be baked until probe still shows a little moisture on it?
thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chocolate Zucchini Espresso Loaf - Dry! by cjs (Most of you know how...)
How about some grated carrots? They tend to add a good amount of moisture without overpowering the tastes already present.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
note one - I was out of a.p. flour so used bread flour, would that make such a difference?

No, I don't think so---I use bread flour for all my baking because all-purp is not available here (believe it or not!!)

note/question two - would decreasing the flour to 2 cups take care of the problem?

It would change the texture a bit but worth a shot. If you decrease the flour you would have to decrease the powder and soda accordingly.

note/question three - adding another egg????

I wouldn't--would be too eggy tasting, IMHO. I would try adding 1/4 to 1/3 cup oil--that always adds moisture and helps to get that texture you are looking for. The amount of cocoa seems a bit high--that ingredient has a tendency to dry out your end product---cut back to 1/2 cup?? Did you use dutch process? Bakers are recommending that product more and more and I have noted a difference in my goods---less dry and more chocolatey.

Did you cream the butter and sugar until really light in texture/then add eggs one at a time until completely blended? Also add the dry ingredients in small amounts/blending well after each addition. DO NOT over beat the batter--when you see no more flour streaks--end!!

note/question four - should it be baked until probe still shows a little moisture on it?

The probe/tester should come out clean--otherwise you will have an underdone, raw cake.

I don't know if that will make any difference but those are a few changes I would make---

Is this your recipe?? The concept sounds great--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Chocolate Zucchini Espresso Loaf - Dry! by Roxanne 21 (note one - I was out...)
thanks for the ideas - yes, it is mine. The change I've decided to make is to go with vege oil instead of the butter. Hopefully, that will counteract the amount of cocoa. That is what I really don't want to change - the flavor is just right for me.

I served it to guests last nite and warming it in the microwave just a little brot it back to a nice moistness and all loved it. So, I'm thinking it's the butter that did me in....on to the next revision.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chocolate Zucchini Espresso Loaf - Dry! by cjs (thanks for the ideas...)
Try cutting the butter in half and add an equal amount of veg oil....just a thought to keep the butter flavor in there. Also at times the pan (wrong size for recipe) or the oven temp may be off. I usually bake most of my loaf recipes at 325 for about 50 minutes---if the top starts to brown too quickly, cover with foil after forty minutes or so.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Jean, bread flour contains a higher amount of protein than regular ap flour and this higher protein will absorb more moisture from the batter. You might want to try adding water, maybe starting at a tablespoon per cup of flour.

There are enough eggs in this quick bread, another will make the texture gummy.

I really like the addition of cayenne to this and, since I'm being overrun by zucchini, I may have to bake this soon. Thanks for posting!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
Alright, Jean. You startin' something here???!!! Was gonna help ya, but now, don't know! Prostrate yourself, eh??? Huuummm. . .o.k., on your knees!!! (just kidding, just kidding!!!)

Here are my two cents: Yes, the bread flour contributes to the problem. High protein, high gluten, makes for a tougher dough. Adding an extra egg only contributes to the problem. When you start adding things, deleting or reducing, etc., the entire "chemistry" of the recipe is thrown off balance. Baking is really scientific.

I have this chart-like thingy that helps you calculate ingredients, what ingredient needs another in order to obtain the most favorable results, i.e. for each cup of flour use 2 teaspoons of baking powder, things like that. Will get that out, too.

I've got some really, really good zuke recipes that I've been using since a kid. They were given to my mother and when I got married and left home, I took the recipes with me!!! Hehehehe! One of them, in fact, IS a chocolate bread. Also have one for cookies and even a zucchini marmalade. Now that's good! We used to can that.

I was going to post a few of these the other day, but with not feeling well, the idea just slipped by. Will go pull them out and post them.

Will post them separately, before this times-out. Have been getting these wierd messages on this forum. One just said that the form I'm using is no longer in use. ????

Be back shortly.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Chocolate Zucchini Espresso Loaf - Dry! by MUSICMAKER (Alright, Jean. You ...)
Oh, please post them - especially the cookies. What a great way to get the kids to eat zucchini!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chocolate Zucchini Espresso Loaf - Dry! by foodfiend (Jean, bread flour co...)
Jean, I posted late last night and forgot to mention that if you try your recipe with ap flour rather than bread flour, you'll probably be good on the moisture factor. I made four zucchini breads 2 weeks ago with cocoa in the batter and chocolate chips, as well, and there is none left (and it's just DH and me!). I rationalized with the fact that it contained zucchini and whole wheat flour...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Chocolate Zucchini Espresso Loaf - Dry! by foodfiend (Jean, I posted late ...)
thanks Vicci -

"I rationalized with the fact that it contained zucchini and whole wheat flour... " - now, that's good thinking!!
www.achefsjourney.com