sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce for Lumpia
  Re: (...)
Basic Sweet and Sour Sauce

2 1/2 Tbsp Corn Starch
3/4 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Japanese rice Vinegar ( green Label)
1 tsp Thick Soy
1 tsp sherry
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
Mix all ingredients. stir contantly and bring to boil.
( Sauce will thicken - depending where you live you can
use less corn starch or more for a thick or thin sauce)
Use as dip for deep fried wontons. or Lumpia

Made this one for years - just a great recipe
you can experiment and use less sugar - to your taste.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce for Lumpia by mjkcooking (Basic Sweet and Sour...)
Quote:

Basic Sweet and Sour Sauce

1 tsp Thick Soy . . .

marye

Marye, this sauce sounds yummy. One question. . .what is the 'thick soy' in this recipe. I've never heard of it.

Thanks!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce for Lumpia by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hi
the brand i have is" Koon Chun " Thick Soy Sauce it a 16 oz
jar. (it is very dark and thick and sweet)

I think you could either leave it out - or perhaps
use bean molasses as a sub.( I think the sauce adds
to the recipe)

I get it at a oriental grocery store - or in
china town. Most grocery stores do not carry it
but you could always ask for a special order.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce for Lumpia by mjkcooking (Hi [br]the brand i ...)
Quote:

the brand i have is" Koon Chun "

Gesundheit.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce for Lumpia by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thick soy sauce - is also called Kecap Manis. It's molasses thick but tastes quite different. Most supermarkets carry it - my brand is "ABC"

Definition: Kecap manis is a sweetish, thick soy sauce made with palm sugar and seasoned with star anise and garlic. A popular tool of Indonesian cooks, it can be used as a dip, and some people like to use it as a substitute for dark soy sauce in recipes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce for Lumpia by mjkcooking (Basic Sweet and Sour...)
Thanks, marye for posting this, been looking for a good recipe. Now to find the sauce-

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce for Lumpia by pjcooks (Thanks, marye for po...)
This is from a resturant that sells lumpia. It is equal amounts of sugar, vinegar and banana ketchup. Thats it!!! No cooking just mix up to dissolve the sugar. It is so good on lumpia.