Bread machines
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have an opinion on the best type of bread machine out there? Easy, convenient, dependable, etc. Cost is not a factor just yet.

Thank you!
  Re: Bread machines by KatKev (Does anyone have an ...)
Oh, my Kat, just noticed this post and am bring it to the top.

I've had 3 in the last 16 years. The first was the DAK (Welbilt) robot-looking one. It was moved during kitchen renovations and walked off the new counter while in use. The plastic housing around the lid broke in many pieces, nothing else did. She kept right on kneading. The second was the replacement, the Ultimate Breadman from KA Flour. I liked her, too, until the pan gasket started to leak, 7 yrs later. I recently bought another Welbilt on EBay, very inexpensive. A workhorse, identical to my old one.

This all being said, I only use them for kneading, never baking. This makes all the difference when choosing a machine, I suppose. I was happiest, overall, with the Breadman. It had a lot of dough cycles-pizza, etc, that the older Welbilts don't. I'll be in the market soon for a new one. I'm very tempted by the Zor-something or other ($200) that The Baker's catalog sells. They also have a mini ($180) with a smaller footprint and capacity.

That's my 2 cents!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Bread machines by pjcooks (Oh, my Kat, just not...)
I gave away my bread machine when I got a KA stand mixer and a Cuisinart 14 cup food processor. I wasn't real fond of the bread it made and the bread didn't last long. Never thought of using it to knead dough, although I knew it could.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Bread machines by bjcotton (I gave away my bread...)
We've been looking at that one in the KA catalog too! I've also been looking at a Cuisinart that is around $100. It's convection and has a lot of good features. Here's a review.
http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/review...cuisinart/

Right now we're limping along with a 10 or 12 year old West Bend that we got at Walmart for 40 bucks. It's about ready to die - so we're starting to look. I use it more for kneading - but now and then we actually bake a loaf in it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Bread machines by Harborwitch (We've been looking a...)
We brot mine with us in the move, but I'm thinkin' another couple of months without using it, I'm getting rid of it. After the first few months, I don't think I've ever used it for anything but dough.

At this stage of my life, I'm not bothered by the time it takes to knead dough, or if I am in a hurry, I just use the K.A. so it's really useless to me now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bread machines by cjs (We brot mine with us...)
What Jean said is about how I feel. I took mine out a few months ago when we had this discussion and used it to make Jean's pizza dough recipe. It worked great, but later on I put the same recipe in my KA and let it go for 7 minutes, then just put a towel over it for the rise. Worked just as well, so now I don't take the bread machine out anymore.

IMHO, if you are going to bake with it, and if you have a "convenient" place to store it, then go ahead and spend the money on a good one. But, if you like "artisan" style bread like we do, then you might as well just get an inexpensive one and just use it to make the dough.

Oh my gosh, I just noticed that you are new to the forum. Welcome, KatKev! Please join us often, this is a great bunch of people.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Bread machines by Mare749 (What Jean said is ab...)
WELCOME Kat!!! I always use my KA as well---have never used a bread machine but am enjoying the discussion.

Hope to see you around more often---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy