Salmon Engineering
  Re: (...)
This is one of the most clever tips I've seen in a long time!!! one of those, 'why didn't I...........

Salmon Engineering

I like grilling salmon steaks but don’t like those horseshoe-shaped cuts. The little legs flop around and I don’t care for the bone that goes through the middle of the steak (or its fishy taste). So, I use the fillet to make a steak. All you do is skin it and then make one simple cut.

To make 1"-thick steaks, lay a 2"-wide fillet skin side down. Use a sharp knife and slide the blade between the skin and flesh. Now, with the blade angled towards the cutting board, cut away the skin. (EXCEPT, I wouldn't cut away the skin, that's for sure!!)

Now cut the sections in half, but not all the way through (leave about 1/8"). Then fold the halves back on themselves, forming the shape of a traditional steak. Pin halves together with toothpicks so the steak doesn’t unfold while grilling.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Salmon Engineering by cjs (This is one of the m...)
Jean ,do you still have to remove the pin bones with pliers?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Salmon Engineering by cjs (This is one of the m...)
" little legs flop around "

Yup. And I find they get overcooked. Thanks for the tip, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Salmon Engineering by Old Bay (Jean ,do you still h...)
I always check for them, but I don't find them often in this cut. I have tweezers I use for the little devils.

little legs flopping around - that sounds unappetizing as h*ll!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com