LABRADORS & OTHERS--HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR NAAN
  Re: (...)
you asked for. This is from a family I've know for decades who are of Indian heritage (and still live there). As "authentic" as it can get, I guess. I make this about twice a week here...in fact, this has been my youngest son's fav "bread" for about the past 6 months now. Great with chicken or turkey tandoori!

Also have the oven stones/tile info but will put that under a separate post.

Yield: makes 6 naan
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes (includes time for rising, 1 to 1-1/2 hours)

INGREDIENTS:

2/3 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F / 45 degrees C)
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup ghee – NO SUBSTITUTIONS!
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 teaspoons Kalonji (onion seed) or nigella (black caraway) – available at health food or ethnic specialty stores, optional

DIRECTIONS:

1. Whisk the warm water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
2. Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture, half of the ghee, and all the yogurt.
3. Mix into a soft dough, then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Place the dough into a large greased bowl, turning so that all sides of the dough are lightly greased. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place for 1-1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size.
5. Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes.
6. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces.
7. Using your hands, gently “stretch” each piece out into 8 inch naans, shaping them into the traditional “tear drop” shape.
8. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the naan with a little of the remaining ghee. Sprinkle with the kalonji or nigella, if desired. .
9. Cook under a very hot grill, or directly on a stone, for about 2 minutes on each side or until the naan are puffed and just browned.

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: LABRADORS & OTHERS--HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR NAAN by MUSICMAKER (you asked for. This...)
Thanks, Linda. Given the non-availability of certain things here, it looks like it's time for me to make some ghee. Haven't done that in a few years, but now I have an excuse to make it. :-)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: LABRADORS & OTHERS--HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR NAAN by MUSICMAKER (you asked for. This...)
Here's another just a little different - Lorraine and I have both made this one over the years and it's wonderful!!!

Paulie’s Naan (makes 8)

1/2 oz. fresh yeast (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried)
4 Tbsp. warm milk
2 tsp. sugar

1 lb. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. milk
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. yogurt
1 egg, beaten
4 Tbsp. ghee (or melted butter or vegetable oil)

Method:

Combine the yeast, warm milk and sugar in a small bowl until the yeast begins to froth, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Combine the milk, yogurt, egg and ghee. Stir in the yeast mixture.

Stir the liquids into the dry ingredients. Mix until a ball forms.

Pour the ball onto a floured tabletop and knead for about 5 minutes.

Return to a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Place in a warm area until the dough is doubled in volume, about 1 – 1 1/2 hours.

Pre-heat oven to 375F

Punch down dough and divide into 8 portions. Roll into balls and cover with damp cloth for 10 minutes.

Roll or stretch each ball into a circle roughly 8” in circumference. Brush each with some reserved ghee or melted butter and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake for about 10 minutes, turning the naan over and bake an additional 6 minutes, brushing again with ghee/melted butter.

Remove and keep wrapped in a clean tea towel. Serve immediately.
---------
Paulie’s notes: Here's a fave of mine...took me a long time to develop a recipe that enbraces everything I like about Naan bread - slightly crisp outside, soft chewy middle and a light flavour that is great for sopping up everything from curries to mussels!

P.S This makes a good pizza dough, if you can believe it.

My mother-in-law makes the best naan on the planet, and all she uses (in Canada at least...back home it would be the tandoor) is a regular oven at 375-425F. She lightly oils aluminum pie shells with ghee (or oil) places the dough inside and bakes it in the oven...no worries.

Something else I have seen is to use a flat-top griddle that sits on top of a conventional burner and use that for parathas and other quick breads.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Thank you so much for posting this. I've been looking for a good naan recipe...I'm not quite satisfied with the one I've been using. Thank you again!
Tammy
  Re: Re: LABRADORS & OTHERS--HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR NAAN by TwilightKitten (Thank you so much fo...)
Thanks for the reminder, folks. Haven't made naan bread in awhile. I used to make Paulie's recipe often.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: LABRADORS & OTHERS--HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR NAAN by Lorraine (Thanks for the remin...)
Hey Lorraine, let's have a "Paulie Naan" party!!! and invite him...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: LABRADORS & OTHERS--HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR NAAN by cjs (Hey Lorraine, let's ...)
Wouldn't that be fun!!!!

About a year and a half ago, I tried stuffing the naan, then baking them. Never did get it right, and gave up. I'll have to try again.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.