What do we know about Turduckens?
  Re: (...)
I have one in my freezer, which I'm planning on serving for a party this Sunday. I purchased it from www.cajuncreations.com. I had ordered one 2 years ago and it was supposed to arrive frozen and it came barely cool, so I rejected it. Then the company had problems after Katrina and when they advised me that they were once again in business, I was waiting for an opportunity to give them another shot. I paid an extra 40$ to have it overnight shipped, and it arrived fully frozen.

FYI, a turducken is a boneless duck stuffed inside a boneless chicken, stuffed inside a boneless (except for wings and drumsticks) turkey. I ordered it with a cajun shrimp and crawfish stuffing.

The cooking directions call for cooking it about 4-1/2 hours at 350. (It's circa l5 lbs.) Anyway, I plan to have cold cucumber soup with vermouth and dill and shrimp. A green bean salad, and a poached pear salad. I haven't figured out desert yet.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this they may be willing to share.
  Re: What do we know about Turduckens? by lxxf (I have one in my fre...)
We got one a few years ago - really monitor the cooking time - ours overcooked at the time given. It was also mostly stuffing. That being said the flavor was great! I did the same 2 stuffings. We served our's with red beans & rice, cornbread, and a bunch of other stuff (pot luck).

We're talking about doing another one, but doing it ourselves. It's not hard to bone out a chicken or a turkey (we've done them both) and I can't imagine the duck would be too hard.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Sounds wonderful, except I don't like shrimp, so would opt for an all crawfish stuffing, if available.

Even so, I love duck so much that I wonder whether it would get lost among everything else.

Shame you can't email me some of the finished product!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What do we know about Turduckens? by labradors (Sounds wonderful, ex...)
Sally, I've only ever seen this on tv, but they sure look good. I'm wondering if you talked with one of the poultry guys down at the westside market, if they would be willing to do this for you. Even if you had to pay a little more per pound, you would save the shipping.

Anyway, hope your party is lots of fun. Be sure to tell us all about it on Monday.

Maryann P.S. You didn't mention dessert. Are you making it or going to that wonderful bakery over your way?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What do we know about Turduckens? by Mare749 (Sally, I've only eve...)
I've never done one either - but, have always been fascinated by the idea of doing/buying this. Also will be anxious to hear how you like it. Have a great party!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Monitor its progress. I have found the best way is with a temp probe that sits on the counter. It will dry out fast if you over cook it. And because it is fabricated, it is dense, so remember to pull it and allow for the carry over cooking.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: What do we know about Turduckens? by Mare749 (Sally, I've only eve...)
The big poultry guy at the SW end of the westside market used to do them, but now he'll only debone them and I'd have to put it together myself. For the 1st time, at least, I'm going with the pre-fab one. I haven't figured out dessert yet. Max's deli (which has fabulous cheesecakes and torts, etc) has closed in preparation of moving to a new location. I don't have alot of fridge space to store a dessert, so maybe I'll just order something from Heinens and pick it up after the birds are cooking, so I'll have space in the fridge.
  Re: Re: What do we know about Turduckens? by lxxf (The big poultry guy ...)
lx, here's a little more on turducken - I remember reading it a long time ago and it's by Chef Paul Prudhomme - here's the link.

https://web.archive.org/web/200805161747...Turducken.shtml

maybe a few more hints for you - have fun with this!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What do we know about Turduckens? by cjs (lx, here's a little ...)
Thanks, interesting that he recommends cooking it in a 190 over for 12 hours! The manufacturers directions are 350 for 4-1/2 hours.