Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney
  Re: (...)
Hey there, MS Lorraine (our resident little queen of chutneys... ), this is really a winner and from Cooking Light magazine to boot!! It was a very pretty dish, but I must have hiccuped when taking the picture - didn't turn out.

Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney

"A simple jelly-and-mustard glaze coats pork chops that are topped with a sweet-tart chutney. Serve with rice or couscous to soak up the sauce."

CHUTNEY:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
2 cups coarsely chopped rhubarb (about 1/2 pound)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

PORK:
1/3 cup red currant jelly
1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
4 (6-ounce) bone-in center-cut pork chops (about 1/4 inch thick)
Cooking spray
Thinly sliced green onions (optional)

To prepare chutney, combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add rhubarb and the next 4 ingredients (rhubarb through ground red pepper); reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Spoon into a bowl; cover and chill at least 2 hours. Discard cinnamon stick.
Prepare grill.

To prepare pork, combine jelly and mustard in a small bowl; set aside.

Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and cumin; rub evenly over pork. Place pork on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness, basting occasionally with jelly mixture. Serve pork with chutney; sprinkle with green onions, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop and 1/2 cup chutney)

CALORIES 400 (16% from fat); FAT 7g (sat 2.5g,mono 3.1g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 26.2g; CHOLESTEROL 69mg; CALCIUM 89mg; SODIUM 596mg; FIBER 2.6g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 55.9g

Cooking Light, MAY 2004
-----

We're going to an open house tomorrow, so I'm thinking this chutney will be fun to play with for an appy to take with us. Maybe some goat cheese, maybe some kind of dessert tartlets with some ricotta.......hmmmm. any suggestions anyone? off to play!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney by cjs (Hey there, MS Lorrai...)
Geez, does that sound good!!!! My SIL and I have decided we really like rhubarb chutney. I'll get some from a co-worker this week and try this one.

I think I'd like to try it on soem kind of crostini. Maybe over some caramelized onions. The ricotta sounds good also. Or, small empanadas stuffed with the leftover pork and some of the chutney. I did that once with some leftover duck and a plum chutney. Oh, the possibilities... Thanks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney by Lorraine (Geez, does that soun...)
"Or, small empanadas stuffed with the leftover pork and some of the chutney." - oh yeah, I just got a promise of a bottle of champagne if I do this for brunch tomorrow....Wink

guess I'll go caramelize some onions to add to the mix.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney by cjs (Hey there, MS Lorrai...)
That chutney does sound good. Especially like the caramalized onion idea, Lorraine.

Can anyone suggest a chutney to be served with Pork Pie? I'm thinking I need something fairly tart to cut the richness a bit.

Any ideas?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney by pjcooks (That chutney does so...)
PJ, Lorraine and I have been collecting chutneys for a few years now - one of both of our favorite things!!! here's a couple ideas from my horde of goodies -

Cranberry Chutney
Serving Size : 6

1 onion -- chopped
1 tablespoon oil
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon mace

Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon oil; stir in fresh cranberries, water and sugar. Boil 1 minute; stir in dry mustard and ground cloves, cinnamon and mace.

------
This one I've been making for a couple of years - I'll post both the pork and the chutney, I've made the chutney w/out the pork and used with other things, but the pork is really good also.
Caribbean Spiced Pork with Apple-Fennel Chutney
Serves 6
2 3/4-pound pork tenderloins
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon whole brown mustard seed
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
----
APPLE-FENNEL CHUTNEY
1 1/2 cups chopped apple (1 large)
3/4 cup diced fennel (1 bulb)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup raisins
1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Heat oven to 450ºF. In a medium saucepan, combine all chutney ingredients; mix well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes more.

Remove cover and cook 15-20 minutes more, or until fruit is tender.

Meanwhile, place pork tenderloins on a sheet of waxed paper. Place all dry seasonings in a blender; grind to a powder. Coat tenderloins with spice mixture. Place pork in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes, or until meat thermometer registers 160ºF (I cook pork to 150°). To serve, slice pork tenderloins into 1/2-inch medallions. Top with chutney. Serve any remaining chutney on the side.
---------
I'll restrain myself, I'm sure others will have some good ideas for you also...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney by cjs (PJ, Lorraine and I h...)
Thanks, Jean, duly copied and printed! Looks good!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney by cjs (PJ, Lorraine and I h...)
Here's a Curried Apple Chutney one we love. If you don't want to process it, just cut down the recipe, and keep it in the fridge.

9 cups (2.2 L) peeled, cored, chopped apples
2 cups (475 ml) finely chopped onion
2 cups (475 ml) golden raisins
2 cups (475 ml) brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (360 ml) cider vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 ml) mustard seeds
1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) salt
1 tsp (5 ml) dried chili flakes
1 tsp (5 ml) garam masala
1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) EACH turmeric, cumin, coriander,cardamom and ginger

Prepare preserving jars.

Combine all the ingredients in yourpreserving pot. Bring to a boil over medium - high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce hear to medium and simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, or until thickened, stirring often Stir almost constantly during the last 15 - 20 minutes to prevent scorching.

Remove from the heat. Ladle the chutney nto hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles,. Wipe the rims clean. Seal according to manufacturer's directions. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

I added a bit more garam masala than called for, and some chopped candied ginger to it.

Makes 7 to 8 8oz (250 ml) jars.

From Well Preserved. Mary Ann Draga
  Re: Re: Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney by Lorraine (Here's a Curried App...)
And here's another one.

Pear Apple Chutney

From " Well Preserved " by Mary Ann Dragan
Makes about 5 to 6 8oz ( 250 ml) jars.

6 cups (1.5 L) chopped pears
1 cup ( 240 ml) chopped apple
1/2 cup (120 ml) finely chopped onion
1/2 cup (120 ml) finely chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup (180 ml) dark raisins
1/2 cup (120 ml) chopped candied ginger
2 cups (475 ml) brown sugar
1 lemon, juice and finely grated zest
1 Tbsp (15 ml0 mustard seeds
2 Tsp (10 ml) dried chili flakes
1 Tsp 95 ml) salt
1/2 Tsp (2.5 ml) fresh nutmeg
1/2 Tsp (2.5 ml) cloves

Prepare the preserving jars according to manufacturers instructions.

Combine all the ingredients in your preserving pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer, stirring often, until the pears are tender and the mixture has thickened, about 1 hour.

Remove from the heat. Ladle the chutney into the hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch (1.2 cm head space. Remove air bubbles, wipe the rims clean. Seal according to manufacturere's directions. Process the jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool before storing.

Place in cold room so people can raid it and take them all.
  Re: Re: Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney by pjcooks (That chutney does so...)
Some kind of cranberry or sour cherry chutney works well with pork!!! IMHO----haven't had pork pie in a while (like YEARS!!!) This was always a favorite of my ex-Mother-in-law---she is such a sweet person!!! Gotta re-think this one, for sure!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Grilled Pork Chops with Rhubarb Chutney by Roxanne 21 (Some kind of cranber...)
Here's my Cranberry Chutney

2 tsp (10 ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped onion
1 Tbsp (15 ml) minced peeled ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups (625 ml) cranberries about 10 oz (300g) bag
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar
1/2 cup (75 ml) apple cider
1/4 cup (50 ml) cider vinegar
1/2 tsp (2ml) salt
1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground ginger i use 1 Tbsp fresh grated
Pinch of hot red chili flakes
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oinion, ginger, and garlic, cook for several minutes until softened slightly. Add remaining ingredients.

Cover, increase heat and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 25 - 35 minutes, or until chutney has thickened. Let cool.

Makes 2 cups.

I quadruple the batch, sterilize 250 ml jars, add hot chutney to hot jar, process in water bath 10 minutes.

I let it sit a week or two before using. Hope you like it!!