Empanadas
  Re: (...)
Oh my, these are so tasty!!
PICADILLO EMPANADAS ( I just used the filling - the entire recipe is on epicurious.com)

For the picadillo
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 drained bottled pickled large jalapeño chilies, seeded and minced (wear rubber gloves), about 1 1/2 tablespoons
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon crumbled dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of ground cloves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound ground chuck
1/4 cup tomato paste
a 28-ounce can plum tomatoes including the juice, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped pimiento-stuff green olives (about 4 1/2 ounces)
dried hot red pepper flakes to taste

Make the picadillo:
In a large heavy skillet cook the onion, the garlic, the jalapeños, the cumin, the chili powder, the oregano, the cinnamon, the cloves, and pepper to taste in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, add the chuck, and cook the mixture over moderately high heat, stirring and breaking up any lumps, until the meat is no longer pink. Add the tomato paste, the tomatoes with the juice, the raisins, the olives, the red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste, simmer the picadillo, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it is thickened and most of the liquid is evaporated, and let it cool. (The picadillo may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. Let the picadillo return to room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.)

Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Working with 1 piece of dough at a time and keeping the remaining pieces covered with plastic wrap, on a lightly floured surface roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick and with a 6-inch round cutter cut each piece into a round. Put about 1/3 cup of the picadillo onto the bottom two thirds of each round and fold the rounds in half, enclosing the filling. Seal the edges of the dough and crimp them decoratively. Transfer the empanadas with a spatula to a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake them in the middle of a preheated 450°F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are golden. Transfer the empanadas to a rack and let them cool.

Gourmet, September 1992

[Image: empanadatwo.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Empanadas by cjs (Oh my, these are so ...)
Yawzaaa!!! They sound great! I love the addition of raisins. Gives them a bit of sweetness. And the green olives. I'll have a housefull Labour Day weekend. Sounds like a plan to me!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Empanadas by Lorraine (Yawzaaa!!! They sou...)
Where on earth do you find your energy, woman!!! Sounds like a maker for me too!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Oh my, those look like they are real tasty, Jean! So does that pretty concoction in the background. Yummmm!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
One of my neighbors makes something like this every year for our block party.(which is coming up!!) My husband looks forward to them all year long!
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Empanadas by Roxanne 21 (Where on earth do yo...)
"Where on earth do you find your energy, woman!!!" - hey, I'm so darn old, I have to dance faster than everyone else to try all the dishes out there!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Empanadas by cjs ("Where on earth do y...)
Jean, do you have one dough in particular you like for empanadas? And, do you ever freeze them? And, what's the dish in the background?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Empanadas by Lorraine (Jean, do you have on...)
not really Lorraine, this time I used some pizza dough I had in the freezer and sometimes pastry dough. I've never frozen them - does it work? baked or raw?

In the background is our favorite fruit platter - fruit topped with a Syrah/Merlot/Port/or whatever reduction and grated parm.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Empanadas by cjs (not really Lorraine,...)
Jean, how did you miss the Pork Picadillo Empanadas with Chipotle Salsa right next to it? Too hot for me, but some y'all like that stuff.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Empanadas by bjcotton (Jean, how did you mi...)
Chipotle is among my favourite flavours. Soon, I'm hoping to build a home-made smoker, and one of the things I look forward to doing is putting some red jalapeños into it for a good, long time to make my own chipotles.

One cultural culinary note: empanadas are rare in Honduras in that form. Instead, they make essentially the same thing - filling some with seasoned ground beef and others with chicken, but they deep fry them instead of baking them. In that form, they call them pasteles or pastelitos. They are incredibly delicious!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?