Rummed Hot Chocolate
  Re: (...)
We happened to watch a Nigella Lawson ccooking show yesterday, called "Chocolate Heaven" and wow, what a bunch of goodies she made up. One, we tried this morning in my Grandmother's 125 (at least) year old chocolate set! I've only used it once since I was a kid and my mother would make hot chocolate for my sister and me on special occasions. I say 'we tried it', but Roy was the one who made it for us - what a double treat!!

[Image: chocolateset.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Alcoholic Hot Chocolate

2 cups milk
3 1/2 ounces best-quality dark chocolate -- bittersweet or semisweet, as preferred
1 cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons dark rum -- or to taste

Put the milk into a saucepan and break the chocolate into pieces and add to the milk along with a cinnamon stick, honey, and sugar and heat gently until the chocolate is melted.

Add the vanilla and mix with a small hand whisk and still whisking, add a spoonful of the rum first and taste to see if you want more. Add more sugar if you want this sweeter, too. Take out the cinnamon stick and pour into 2 cappuccino or caffe latte cups.
Description:
"Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson"

What a wonderful little treat this was - and to use this set again, was such fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate by cjs (We happened to watch...)
Good for you-you have a nice treat and someone else makes it

That recipe looks like a keeper, especially for T-day or Christmas morning, don't ya think?

What a small world this is, my sister in law gave me this exact pitcher, found at a yard sale for a quarter, almost 20 years ago. What a coinicidence!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate by pjcooks (Good for you-you hav...)
Nigella is a great cooking personality!!! One of the few that I enjoy on BBC Food network (when I have the chance or inclination to sit and watch TV---not often enough, unfortunately----) I do have several of her cookbooks, though!! YUMMMM--YES!!!! Gotta try that one---sure wish I could find the China set--lovely!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate by Roxanne 21 (Nigella is a great c...)
I just started watching a few of Nigella's shows recently, and really enjoy her. Don't know how I missed her shows before now, but since the food network is boring anymore, it's refreshing to catch one of her shows.

Jean, what a pretty piece of china! I have a couple of old pieces from my grandmother also. Don't have a clue if they are worth anything, but they mean the world to me.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate by Mare749 (I just started watch...)
I have one of her books - I think one of the kids gave it to me, but this is the first of her shows we've watched. I like her.

Growing up I was always fascinated with this chocolate set and when I was in my 30s, Mom, bless her heart (and I mean it sincerely this time, Billy J!! ), said since I'd loved it for so long, I ought to have it to enjoy! Otherwise, I'd still be lusting after it probably.

It's Haviland bone china and as much as I love it, I was scared to death of it for years...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate by cjs (I have one of her bo...)
I'm bringing this to the top because it is now hot chocolate weather and I'm sure going to make this again this year. It's wonderful!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate by cjs (I'm bringing this to...)
yum yummmm! this sounds like such a yummy treat for a sunday afternoon in the winter
  Re: Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate by Peach (yum yummmm! this sou...)
I just read this recipe for the third time and finally noticed:
"add a spoonful of the rum first and taste to see if you want more"

Are they kidding? Of course we want more!

I cannot wait to try this.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate by chef_Tab (I just read this rec...)
Oh my! Copied and saved!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate by Gourmet_Mom (Oh my! Copied and s...)
You haven't made this, Daphne?? William's in for a treat.
www.achefsjourney.com