We finally served the Turducken
  Re: (...)
This time around it arrived on Tuesday - frozen solid, as advertised. I had 12 for dinner on Sunday - all family, some local and some from other states. Five houseguests - two of whom brought their dogs! The dogs spent the first 3 hours fighting and then the rest of the weekend humping all over the house. Did I mention that it rained all weekend, and my house smelled of wet dog and there was dog hair everywhere and muddy pawprints everywhere. You may guess that my stress level was through the roof. (I am a dog lover, by the way, but I was unprepared to host the dogs, and my poor cat disappeared down the basement for 3 days).

Anyway, I cooked the turdukhen according to the directions and it was - interesting-. There was a certain "wow" factor, since no one had ever eaten one and the description is rather exotic, but it was unremarkable. I guess I had too much wine, which combined with the stress left me barfing all night and half the next day. I'm glad I did it, and won't be saving the recipe. Now that I reflect on the comments of those of you who have had it, I think my experience is right in line with all of yours. Interesting, but not worth repeating.
  Re: We finally served the Turducken by lxxf (This time around it ...)
Oh my goodness! Sally, I would have been drinking too much wine too! 5 houseguests is hard enough, but 2 dogs besides on a rainy weekend, well, that would just about put me over the edge. No wonder you were ill, you poor thing. I hope you are recovering and able to take some time to pamper yourself a bit after that crazy weekend.

Thanks for sharing your experience and for being honest about the turduken, since all of us are so curious about it. I'm sure it does have a certain "wow" factor though, and that had to be fun.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Sally, I'm sorry your weekend was so stressed. I've certainly been there, and that wine just keeps calling, doesn't it?

The idea of Turducken seems to be the magic of the dish, doesn't it? I've yet to hear any raves about it. I think we served it at an event years ago, and I can't remember any comment other than, "that's interesting".

Hope you had some help cleaning up, and I hope you feel better!

PJ
PJ
Dunno, but I can't help thinking that it would sound more appetising if its name didn't start with "turd."

Loving duck as I do, I still say that this seems like a waste of a perfectly good duck unless it were truly spectacular.

Sorry you found it so "unremarkable."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: We finally served the Turducken by labradors (Dunno, but I can't h...)
Quote:

Dunno, but I can't help thinking that it would sound more appetising if its name didn't start with "turd."

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: We finally served the Turducken by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Been thinking about the name thing a little bit, and thought, perhaps, it would sound better (and even appeal to opera and symphony goers) if it were called a "kenducktur." LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: We finally served the Turducken by labradors (Been thinking about ...)
Chiduckey?
  Re: Re: We finally served the Turducken by Mare749 (Oh my goodness! Sal...)
I missed this thread and really can't add too much except to be a spoil sport and say WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO RUIN THREE GREAT MEALS in and of themselves??

I really do not want to offend anyone on this---JMHO

Interesting...there was a thread on this a couple of years ago and the same reactions were sparked--different members then. (And--yes--I did offend a couple people back then but...)

I ditto Maryann for thanking you for sharing this experience--back then I can't remember anybody actually cooking it, just discussing.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Are you and Erin related????? You both really must learn to plan your parties better..... Your carpet must look like hers also.

Spending time praying to the procelain Gods is much perferable to going after the dogs....

Sounds like cooking a turkucken one time is similar to my making (classic) puff pastry - so glad I did it once, but why bother again....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: We finally served the Turducken by Roxanne 21 (I missed this thread...)
Roxanne, after Sally's review, I probably won't do the whole turducken thing either, but it sure looks interesting when you are watching the assembly on TV. Kind of like a giant roulade. I'm rather disappointed that it didn't go over better.

I guess an alternative would be to make cajun stuffed roulades with the breast meat from each item separately, then serve a slice of each on a plate in a pretty presentation like Jean did with stuffed fish recipe.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."