What's For Dinner Tonight??
  Re: (...)
I had salmon thawed out for dinner last night, but ended up playing with the mac & cheese (see recipe below) so, tonite we're having a Salmon Panini (caper mayo, salmon, basil leaves, tomato slice, and maybe a slice of red onion on a focaccia bread square) and butternut squash soup (from freezer)

Tomorrow night tho, I'm delving right into the new issue!!
Petite sirloins with Gingered tomato chutney
roasted dijon potatoes

this sounded so good.

----------------

Here's the by-product of the "Bechamel morphed into Veloute, morphed inot Mornay, morphed into Soubise Sauced Mac & Cheese" ain't that a mouthful...

MORNAY SAUCED MAC & CHEESE

2 1/2 Tablespoons butter
3 1/2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups milk, 2% lowfat, heated
Salt & white pepper
couple grindings of nutmeg
1/2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
8 ounces onion, finely diced and simmered for 15 minutes in 2 T. butter and set aside
1/3 cup cracker crumbs or panko
2 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Melt butter in a saucepan; blend in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon to make a smooth paste.
Stir over moderate heat for 2 minutes without coloring. Remove from heat.

After the bubbling subsides, add 1 3/4 cup of the hot milk and whisk briskly to make a smooth sauce and blend thoroughly.
Put back over moderate heat and add the rest of the milk a few drops at a time to desired consistency.
The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Whisk in salt, pepper and nutmeg - tasting as you add the spices.
Remove from heat and let cool several minutes before adding the cheese.
When cooler, add the cheese and the onions; stirring until cheese is melted.
At this point you can chill the sauce for later use, or freeze it, or add to pasta at this time.

Pour into a greased baking dish and top with a sprinkling of cracker crumbs or panko and dabs of butter
Bake in a 350 F. oven for 30-35 minutes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by cjs (I had salmon thawed ...)
OOOHHHH---what a nice recipe, Jean---gonna do that one of these days---maybe while Peter is gone (he leaves for the States for 3 weeks on Saturday). I have no problem with devouring these goodies!!! I really do not want to contribute to his demise by making some of these dishes---he would scoff up in a heartbeat!!! (NO PUN intended!!!--- )

Tonight's dinner WAS---garlic chicken, zucchini with dill and a baked potato---nice and easy since I've got a REALLY bad head cold!!!

BTW---we had a salmon dish last night--strange how the menus are similar at times---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
We are having the pimento cheeseburgers from a few issues back. I wish it was cold enough here to start doing the recipes from the new issue. It is cooling down to a chilly 82 tomorrow and back in mid 90s by weekend. Not really comfort food weather. ;-)
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by Roxanne 21 (OOOHHHH---what a nic...)
Well, I have to use up a few things, so we're having a mixed garden salad topped with l/o grilled chicken. I'll put some corn on the grill and that will be dinner tonight.
It's so humid here, it has to be light.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by Mare749 (Well, I have to use ...)
"We are having the pimento cheeseburgers from a few issues back." we had those a while back and just loved them. Seems like I had enuf sauce leftover that I did something, but can't remember what.....

Maryann, you throw that out just like a grilling pro - hasn't this been a fun summer for you learning to grill???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by cjs ("We are having the p...)
Quote:

"We are having the pimento cheeseburgers from a few issues back." we had those a while back and just loved them. Seems like I had enuf sauce leftover that I did something, but can't remember what.....

Maryann, you throw that out just like a grilling pro - hasn't this been a fun summer for you learning to grill???

Funny you should mention that because I was trying to think of what to do with leftover sauce or just try to make a smaller amount since husband does not like cheese.
I like the idea of the onion in the mac and cheese, Jean. My kids prefer gruyere cheese (something I got from CI years ago, I think), but they insist on Ritz crumbs toasted in clarified butter. I did it once, mainly to use some up, now it can't be any other way. Panko sure would be easier!!
Maybe I can start to wean them off it, or better yet, show them how to do it. That will take care of that little problem!

What's for supper:

[Image: DSCN0508-1.jpg]

That's it. Cooked all day for Son #2's 22nd birthday, a house full of kids left only the energy for this tart from CI. As usual, lots of dishes and paper towels and oven up and oven down and freeze your cheese and towel dry your tomatoes, but it is very sturdy and holds up well.

And it tastes good with my tomatoes and my fresh herbs

If he wants meat, he's on his own!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by Mare749 (Well, I have to use ...)
Roxanne, I hope your cold is getting better.

Sometimes the best meals are the leftovers!! Like going to a buffet for free, Maryann. (Who am I kidding, it's an excuse to cover a lot of leftovers with cheese)

And Linda, is this cheese sauce anything you could freeze, never mind that, just noticed the mayo or better yet, vacuum pack? Then you could toast up some French bread, top w/sauce and broil. Kinda like a Welsh rarebit.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by pjcooks (Roxanne, I hope your...)
Wow PJ that tart looks heavenly! Care to share the recipe?
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner Tonight?? by Lisa152 (Wow PJ that tart loo...)
Yes - please share that tart recipe.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.