Homemade Marshmallows
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a recipe for these? I am trying to get ideas for Xmas gifts for neighbors and was going to do them a food hamper and I though that those would be yummy with a hot cocoa mix.

Thanks
Linda
  Re: Homemade Marshmallows by Emmasmum (Does anyone have a r...)
I know that there is a great recipe by Ina Garten that has been raved about forever----I will round up the recipe and post for you. How thoughtful of you!!!!

I'll BE BACK______________
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by Roxanne 21 (I know that there is...)
I love her she is my hero ;-) so it she has done it, it has to be great.
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by Emmasmum (I love her she is my...)
Exported from MasterCook *

Homemade Marshmallows

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Candies Miscellaneous

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
confectioner's sugar -- for dusting

Instructions:

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240ยบ on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.

With a sieve, generously dust an 8x12-inch nonmetal baking dish with confectinoer's sugar. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan, smooth the top, and dust with more confectioner's sugar. Allow to stand uncovered overnight until it dries out.

Turn the marshmallows onto a board and cut them in squares. Dust them with more confectioner's sugar. Makes 20 to 40 marshmallows

Ina Garten recipe please let me know what you think!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by Roxanne 21 (Exported from Master...)
Thank you so much. Any thoughts on how best to give them ie could they go in cellophane bag?
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by Emmasmum (Thank you so much. ...)
Let us know how they turn out, Linda, this might be a fun thing for the kids to do. I would think a cellophane bag might hold too much moisture, on the back of an old Fine Cooking mag they had something about this. I'll go take a look.
Well, May 1998 FC; according to David Milne, proprietor, "People ask if we'd sell our marshmallows plain, but they'd harden because we use no preservatives-they need the chocolate coating".

No recipe but ing. are egg whites, gelatin and sugar syrup. Not quite exactly what you were looking for, but a thought, perhaps they could be coated with something else?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by pjcooks (Let us know how they...)
PJ
I just thought it would be a nicer touch than just regular store bought marshmallows. I was going to do like a cocoa mix in the jar and then have like a cello bag of these marshmallows to go with. I swore that I saw a Barefoot Contessa show where she gave them away and that is what she did or if it just sounded like a heck of an idea.

Linda
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by Emmasmum (PJ[br] I just though...)
Quote:

PJ
I swore that I saw a Barefoot Contessa show where she gave them away and that is what she did or if it just sounded like a heck of an idea.

It does sound like a great idea, my boys would love this. I'll do someone looking around.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Hi
i believe Greg Atkinson has a recipe for Marshmallows
in his latest cook book - ( which i have and can't seem
to locate - his were dallops and mixture was rolled
or dusted in a corn Starch/ powdered sugar mixture
and just place on top of hot chocolate or hot pudding
anyway they were delicious

will post if i can find cook book
Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Homemade Marshmallows by mjkcooking (Hi [br]i believe Gr...)
I remember seeing one of the tv cooks do this too, and thought it looked like a great idea to do with the kids. Sounded pretty yummy for the adults too! Anyway, I thought that it was either cornstarch or powdered sugar, or a combination of both that they dusted them with, then air-tight storage. I know these wouldn't be as pretty as little cellophane bags, but you could always use the snack size ziploc bags if you had to in order to achieve air-tight.

Between all of us on this forum, someone will think of a way to do this. It's such a thoughtful idea.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."