Leeks
  Re: (...)
Can you believe it, I have never cooked a leek. Today I was at a local farm buying corn to freeze and they had some great looking leeks - so I bought some.

The only recipe I can think that I have had, is potato and leek soup. I would love some different recipies using leeks. Please...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Leeks by esgunn (Can you believe it, ...)
I know there are fancy recipes for them but I LOVE them sauteed with butter. mmmmmmmmmm!!!
I love leeks. But, it will have to wait until tomorow.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Leeks by Lorraine (I love leeks. But, ...)
I can be patient . I am up to my arm pits right now anyway with corn, squash and zuchini.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Before the recipe, here's how to use leeks:

Cut off the dark-green part. Unless saving that for braising or for a stock, discard it. The light-green part is okay to keep with the white part that is usually used.

Cut off the knotty part of the bulb (not much). Save for stock, if desired.

Slice the remaining part of the leek in half, lengthwise. Rinse well under running water, slowly flipping the layers like book pages. This is to get rid of dirt that can sometimes accumulate between the layers. There isn't always dirt, but it's better to play it safe.

Finally, place the flat side of the leeks (i.e. from the previous cut) down and slice the leeks across the width as needed for the recipe.

----------------------------------------------------

Chicken with Leeks and Cream

Ingredients:
3 to 4-pound Chicken, cooked, skinned, and de-boned
3 to 4 Leeks
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 clove Garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of Nutmeg
1/2 cup Whipping cream
Parsley for garnish

Directions:
Tear up the chicken meat into bite-size pieces.

Cut the leeks into 2-inch pieces.

Saute the leeks and garlic in the oil until barely tender, but not discoloured.

Add the chicken to the pan, and cook it until hot. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well, and add the cream. Heat, and serve. Decorate with parsley.

Serve over pasta or rice (I like it with penne rigate).

SERVES 6.

----------------------------------------------------

Also, don't forget to search the web for Welsh recipes, such as Cawl Cennin, since they like to use leeks a lot (it's their national symbol, after all!).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I love this one...

Chicken & Mushroom-Artichoke Ragoût
(Cuisine at home, April 2006, Issue 56, p. 13)

Makes: 2 Chicken Breasts, 2 Cups Potatoes, and 2 Cups Ragoût Total Time: About 45 Minute Rating: Intermediate

For the Potatoes—
Boil; Drain and Dry:
2 russet potatoes, peeled, cubed

Off Heat, Mash with:
1/2 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
1/2 T. unsalted butter
Salt, white pepper, and ground
nutmeg to taste

For the Chicken and Ragoût—
Saute in 1 t. Olive Oil; Add:
3 cups shiitake, crimini, and button mushrooms, halved (quartered if large)
1 cup leeks, thinly sliced into half-moons and rinsed

Sear in 1 t. Olive Oil; Deglaze with and Simmer:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, seasoned with salt and pepper
1/2 cup dry Riesling or white wine
1/2 cup low-salt, fat free chicken broth

Blend Together; Whisk in:
1 T. unsalted butter, softened
1 T. all-purpose flour
1 t. apple jelly

Finish with:
Mushroom-Leek Mixture
4 canned artichoke hearts, quartered
1 t. minced fresh tarragon
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. (Start the mushrooms and chicken while the potatoes cook.) Drain potatoes, then return them to the pan and dry over medium heat, stirring until a film forms in the pan.

Off heat, mash potatoes with buttermilk, butter, and seasonings. Cover potatoes and keep warm.

Saute mushrooms in oil in a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick spray over medium-high heat. Cook until browned, 5–7 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add leeks and cook until wilted, 3 minutes. Remove mushroom mixture and wipe out the skillet.

Sear chicken in oil in a pan coated with nonstick spray until brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Flip over, sear 3 minutes, then deglaze with wine and broth. Cover and simmer 8–10 minutes.

Blend butter and flour together. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, cover, and keep warm. Bring wine mixture to a simmer over high heat; whisk in about 2 teaspoons of the butter mixture and the jelly. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.

Finish sauce with the reserved mushroom mixture, artichokes, tarragon, salt, and pepper. To serve, slice chicken and arrange on plates with potatoes and ragoût.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/2 recipe):
422 calories 34% calories from fat 16g total fat 27g carb. 300mg sodium 3g fiber 37g protein

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com
Tammy
  Re: Re: Leeks by TwilightKitten (I love this one... [...)
When I make my stir-fried vegetables with rice [another name for my fried rice] I always use leeks. I love leeks and use them anywhere green onions are used, plus where they're not...I put them in meatloaves, casseroles, most anywhere I want a light garlicky-oniony taste. I've used 'em in Lorraine's Quiche too [Quiche Lorraine]
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Leeks by bjcotton (When I make my stir-...)
Here's one I got at the farmer's market.

Leek and Potato Cakes

2 - 3 leeks, sliced and thoroughly cleaned
3 Tbsp butter
1 lb potatoes
2 cups bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 Tbsp vegetable oil

Cook leeks in salted water until tender, drain, and set aside. Boil potatoes, when cooked, drain, mash with 1 Tbsp butter and set aside to cool.

Combine leeks, potatoes, eggs, bread crumbs, and season well. ( and they do mean well ) Take small portions into hands and form a flat round cake. Flour lightly, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. When chilled, heat oil and butter and fry cakes until browned on both sides.

Makes 12 - 15.

Rather than cook the leeks in water, I opted to fry them in some duck fat, and added a bit of stock. Some I stuffed with grated Jarlsberg. I think next time I would add some fresh herbs. They were tasty.
  Re: Re: Leeks by Lorraine (Here's one I got at ...)
Potato, Leek and 4 Year Old Ontario Cheddar Cheese Soup

2 leeks, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup bacon fat ( I didn't have any so used duck fat. yum)
4 medium Yukon Gold poatoes, chopped
1.5 L or 6 Cups Chicken Stock
2 Tbsp fresh thyme , chopped
1 1/2 cup 4 year old Ontario cheddar cheese, grated

Using a Dutch oven, cook the leeks and onions on medium low heat in the bacon fat. Do not allow to brown. Add chopped potatoes, chicken stock, and thyme. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes, and stir in cheddar. Serve at once.
  Re: Re: Leeks by Lorraine (Potato, Leek and 4 Y...)
This one is from our magazine. This one had me at leeks and sweet potatoes.

An all in one main course with the chicken baking on top of the vegetables.

Chicken On A Bed Of Leeks and Sweet Potatoes

2 tbsp ( 25ml) olive oil
2 tsp (10 ml) chopped fresh thyme
2 tbsp (25ml) dijon mustard
2 tsp (10 ml) grated lemon rind
2 tsp (10 ml) paprika
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breats
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 sweet potatoes cut into 1 inch (2.5)cm cubes
2 leeks, white and light green part only, sliced
1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
2 tbsp (25ml) balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400F (200C)

Combine 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil, thyme, mustard, lemon rind, and paprika. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 ml) of mixture, and brush the rest over the chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in a large ovenproof skillet ove medium heat. Add chicken breasts, and cook 2 minutes per side or until browned. Remove from skillet and toss in sweet potatoes. Saute for 1 minute, add leeks and saute for 2 minutes. Add stock, reserved mustard mixture and balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, return chicken breasts to skillet and place over vegetables. Cover skillet.

Place in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear. Slice chicken breasts and serve over vegetables. Drizzle over the pan liquid.

Serves 4.

You can sub legs and thighs for the breasts.