IRT Ham, Leek, and 3 Cheese Quiche
  Re: (...)
I was going to make these for the family gathering this weekend, but have been so distracted I'm just not going to be able to.

Would you believe I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with Dish Network today just trying to get a receiver box so I could hook up Fredia's new TV? At the end they just gave me the local office phone number and they said, "Sure, I'll have the boss call you back in a few minutes to fix you up!" Five whole minutes to fix it up!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: IRT Ham, Leek, and 3 Cheese Quiche by bjcotton (I was going to make ...)
You've been going full steam there, Billy. How lucky Fredia is to have you as a brother. I hope she's settling in comfortably. Remember to slow down a bit and take care of you

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: IRT Ham, Leek, and 3 Cheese Quiche by pjcooks (You've been going fu...)
I am slowing slowly The only thing I really have left to do, besides visiting daily, is get the disability going. As you undoubtedly know, it's difficult to let go of control even though I've seen how good of care Fredia gets.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: IRT Ham, Leek, and 3 Cheese Quiche by bjcotton (I am slowing slowly ...)
Chi Chi, I may beat you to it after all!!

Why not transfer all that control over the 800 lb. gorilla????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: IRT Ham, Leek, and 3 Cheese Quiche by cjs (Chi Chi, I may beat ...)
Billy---it's tough to let go---but she is in good hands!!!

Be there when you feel you should be---she will know and appreciate!! SURE WISH I had a brother like you!!! THE BEST!!!!

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: IRT Ham, Leek, and 3 Cheese Quiche by Roxanne 21 (Billy---it's tough t...)
I made this this morning for our brunch - just a half one - I have a great little pie tin that I can just cut in half most recipes for a full size pie tin/plate.

I'll repost the recipe so we can all find it again....
------
Ham, Leek and 3 Cheese Quiche

1 round of refrigerated pie dough for a 9 inch pie, ( from a 15 oz package) not a preshaped frozen pie shell
3/4 lb leeks, ( about 3 medium, white and pale green part only)
2 Tbsps unsalted butter
1/4 lb thinly sliced smoked ham
3 oz Gruyere, coarsely grated, about 1 Cup
3 oz Italian Fontina, coarsely grated, about 1 cup
3 oz whole milk mozzarella, coarsely grated, about 1 Cup
3 large eggs
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 3/4 cups creme fraiche

Prebake pie dough in pieplate according to package instructions, then remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350F.

Meanwhile, halve leeks lenghtwise and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces, then wash well in bowl of cold water, agitating leeks. ( Their words, not mine). Lift out and drain leeks in a colander and pat dry. Melt butter in a 10 inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat and cook leeks, stirring occasionally until very tender, about 10 minutes.

Line warm pie shell with sliced ham, overlapping layers as necessary to cover bottom and side of shell completely. Toss cheeses together and sprinkle evenly into pie shell ( do not pack cheese ), then spread leeks evenly on top of cheese. Whisk together eggs, nutmeg, pepper until combined well, then whisk in creme fraiche until smooth.

Carefully pour half of custard filling on top of pie filling, gently moving cheese with a spoon to help custard disperse evenly. Slowly add remaining custard in same manner. Cover pie loosely with foil, gently folding edges over crust, ( keep foil from touching top of cheese mixture) and transfer to a baking sheet.

Bake until centre of filling is puffed and set ( centre will be slightly wobbly but not set, about 1 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours). Cool on a rack at least 20 - 30 minutes before serving ( filling will continue to set as it cools) Serve warm or at room temperature.

The leftovers were great cut into thin slivers that night, and seved with a mustard sauce as an app.

-----

two things - the flavors are just wonderful, just luscious!
BUT, I think (IMO, I repeat, IMO only) I think the directions are a little ridiculous -

"Carefully pour half of custard filling on top of pie filling, gently moving cheese with a spoon to help custard disperse evenly. Slowly add remaining custard in same manner."

I did this, but I sure won't again. There is no reason the 'custard' can't be tossed together with the cheese and leeks and just poured in over the ham. I think if you use the thin slices of ham that are called for, laying them out like that probably helps keep the crust - crusty.

I used regular ham, so I just diced it up and scattered over the bottom and it worked well.

Anyway, that's my thots - I will certainly make again. The flavor makes this such a nice mellow dish for a brunch. (the only problem, my little pie tin made four great slices......but Roy had two! So now, we have to fight over the remaining
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: IRT Ham, Leek, and 3 Cheese Quiche by cjs (I made this this mor...)
Quote:

Ham, Leek and 3 Cheese Quiche

Sounds wonderful. I can get Gruyère and Mozzarella (actually, it's cheaper to use Quesillo - the Latin-American form of mozzarella), but I have never seen Fontina here. How do you think Emmentaler or Maasdam would be as a substitute?

For that matter, I may just substitute my favourite cheese: Manchego, but it would be interesting to hear the opinions.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: IRT Ham, Leek, and 3 Cheese Quiche by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
What wouldn't Manchego be good on/in???
I would think any of your subs would be great.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: IRT Ham, Leek, and 3 Cheese Quiche by cjs (What wouldn't Manche...)
Quote:

What wouldn't Manchego be good on/in???

Indeed! Wonderful flavour, excellent melting! About the only thing it's not good on is my wallet! LOL!
Quote:

I would think any of your subs would be great.

Thanks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?