S/W Grilled Baby Back and Vegi Soup
  Re: (...)
We have been very busy of late. My Jane was diagnosed with breast cancer late May and we have just finished her 4th weekly chemo at M.D Anderson (wonderful place!!). We go every Thurs. She just got her wig and looks so young--I'm on the lookout for suitors!!We prepare for surgery, probably January. Prognosis is good. Mamograms are good--get yours!!! Guys, get your psa checked---we can preach--we both have had cancer in the last 9 mos. Anyway, enough of that--her kids came in from Indiana and Austin and I fixed baby backs (grilled) and grilled vegis among other things. Instead of nibbling on leftovers I decided to make a soup. Itwas so good!!!!
6 baby backs trimmed and chopped
4 slices grilled zucchini strips, chopped
4 slices grilled yellow onion, chopped
1 grilled portobello, chopped

2 T olive oil
2 T butter
1 yellow onion chopped
tomato paste (1 T?)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 14 oz can petite tomatoes with juice
1 13 oz can chicken stock
1 13 oz can beef stock
1 can black beans
2 Bay leaves
1 t cumin powder
1 t chili powder
1 t red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste

Caramalize the raw onions in the olive oil and butter. Add the garlic. Hold the grilled ingredients back and add everything else. Simmer 30 minutes and then add the grilled items. Simmer 30 minutes and serve with tortilla chips or over cornbread

You can use any leftover grilled items you might have (they ate all my corn and eggplant or that would have been in too). Cooking is fun, especially this way. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I may not post as much the next few months, but I will be thinking of you all. Regards, Bill
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: S/W Grilled Baby Back and Vegi Soup by Old Bay (We have been very bu...)
We'll be thinking of you too, Bill. And you can count on lots of thoughts and prayers for you and Jane. I know firsthand how much it means to have all these wonderful people surround you with their kind words and hugs. God bless you both!

Oh, and your soup sounds wonderful! That's my favorite way to cook and we almost always love the results.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: S/W Grilled Baby Back and Vegi Soup by Old Bay (We have been very bu...)
Bill, So glad to hear the prognosis is good for Jane, I hope you're doing well also. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers for continued success in your treatments.

Your soup does sound good, sometimes my best ones come out of situations just like these

Take care,

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: S/W Grilled Baby Back and Vegi Soup by Mare749 (We'll be thinking of...)
Best wishes coming your way, Bill!!! Geesh---what a small world this is--too much to handle at times but we must handle it as it is dished out----

Mammos and psa's are VERY IMPORTANT, EVERYONE!!! DO IT!!!!

Good for Jane to have such a wonderful husband to understand and the consideration is next to none---how fortunate she is for that support system (sounds as though you BOTH lucked out in that department!!!)

Please keep us informed-----that soup sounds great and we LOVE baby backs---YUMMM!!!!

Thoughts and TONS of hugs coming your way!!!!!

Roxanne
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: S/W Grilled Baby Back and Vegi Soup by Roxanne 21 (Best wishes coming y...)
What a great way to use up extra ribs!!!

Add my thots and good wishes to all the above for you & Jane.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: S/W Grilled Baby Back and Vegi Soup by cjs (What a great way to ...)
Hugs and prayers for both of you! coco