Old recipe......what do you think this is?
  Re: (...)
This is from mom's collection that I'm guessing could be another chrusciki (angel wings) recipe. It is handwritten and incomplete.

Butterflies
3 cups flour
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
6 egg yolks
3 T. whiskey
1/2 pint sour cream

Sift together flour, sugar and salt. Stir in beaten egg yolks and whiskey. Add sour cream, mix and knead thoroughly - 15 min. Cover and let stand 20 to 25 min.

That's it! What does everybody think?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Old recipe......what do you think this is? by Mare749 (This is from mom's c...)
Sounds like another variation of the angel wings, Maryann. Before making your mom's recipe a few weeks ago, I looked back at this recipe book I have from WWI and WWII, and most all of them called for a shot of whiskey, less yolks and flour, and the addition of sour cream, just as this one. Have made them in the past but the recipe from your mom has been the best by far. They are much more tender. And if memory serves me, the shot of booze didn't make any difference in taste (was concerned about serving them to the kids at that time, not for the alcohol content, but for the taste).
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Old recipe......what do you think this is? by MUSICMAKER (Sounds like another ...)
Thanks Linda, I had a feeling that's what it was. I just remembered an old friend of Russian descent who borrowed my deep fryer years ago so that she could make chrusciki (I think that's what she called them) and she put sour cream in hers also. They were heavier as I recall, but also really tasty too. I'd take any of them!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Old recipe......what do you think this is? by Mare749 (Thanks Linda, I had ...)
Ya be makin' me hungry, Maryann! I just love those old ethnic recipes, whether dessert or main course. Just don't find "good food" around much anymore. Family roots, ethnicity, just doesn't seem important any more and all those terrific recipes are becoming lost in the rush of the bionic family. I'm trying to keep our Italian heritage up and going but it sure is hard. Thankfully my boys still appreciate it! Makes it all worth while!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda