Dinner For Sept. 10th??????
  Re: (...)
Can you believe September is just around the corner????

Did we all drool over the Newburg Pot Pie enough to choose it for our next dinner??? Or any other suggestions?

How about side dishes? dessert? I think I'll just have some grilled fruit with this and try not to have any dessert...unless someone comes up with something I can't stay away from
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner For Sept. 10th?????? by cjs (Can you believe Sept...)
I was hoping for this one----except someone will have to post the recipe---pretty please???

I certainly won't need any dessert unless I invite someone for dinner to share---NAHHH!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner For Sept. 10th?????? by Roxanne 21 (I was hoping for thi...)
I think it sounds good too. Here you go, Roxanne!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Newburg Pot Pie with puff pastry

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE BROTH: prepare and combine
2 5-6 oz. lobster tails
3 ounces large shrimp
1/2 cup russet potato -- peeled and diced
1/4 cup carrot -- diced
FOR THE FILLING: Sweat in 2 T. unsalted butter; whisk in:
1/4 cup leeks -- diced
1 T. garlic -- minced
3 T. all purpose flour
DEGLAZE WITH; ADD:
2 T. dry sherry
1/2 cup reserved seafood broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup frozen peas
OFF HEAT; STIR IN:
Reserved seafood and vegetables
2 ounces lump crabmeat
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
salt, white pepper and cayenne to taste
FOR THE PASTRY TOP----Prepare: Brush with:
1 sheet puff pastry -- thawed
1 egg -- lightly beaten w/ 1 T. water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare lobster tails, cutting both sides of the shell (not the meat) down to the fan. Remove meat, reserving shells for broth. Peel and devein shrimp, then halve lengthwise; reserve meat and shells.

Combine seafood shells, potato and carrot in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer until vegetables are fork tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain, reserving vegetables and 1/2 cup broth; discard shells and remaining broth.

Sweat leeks and garlic in butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until leeks are translucent, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with sherry. Add reserved broth, whisking until smooth and thickened; stir in cream and peas.

Off heat, stir in reserved seafood and vegetables, crab, lemon juice, herbs, and seasonings. Mixture will be very thick.

Prepare puff pastry, rolling out on a floured surface to 1/8" thick. Trim around a 2 1/2-cup ovenproof dish so the pastry is 3 /4 larger than the diameter of the dish.

Cut vents in the pastry with a knife so steam can escape. Transfer filling to the dish and top with the pastry piece. Trim excess pastry, crimp edges, then brush dough with egg wash. Bake pot pie on the prepared baking sheet
until top is golden and filling is bubbly, 20 - 25 minutes.

Description:
"Shrimp, lobster, and crab in a rich sherry cream sauce"
Yield:
"2 1/2 cups"
Start to Finish Time:
"1:25"
-----------------------------------------------------

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner For Sept. 10th?????? by Mare749 (I think it sounds go...)
oh gee, Maryann, you beat me....my fingers thank you!

NOTE: for those of you who do not have the magazine - here are a couple notes [Email]C@H[/Email] added to the recipe - it'll make things easier for all of us -

1. cut the lobster in large chunks so it doesn't overcook and turn rubbery.
2. Don't be alarmed at how thick the filling is. The seafood releases wayer as it cooks, thinning the mixture to the perfect consistency.
3. do yourself a favor and use frozen puff pastry for the top.

[Email]C@H[/Email] also recommends a salad of bitter greens with a tangy vinaigrette to accompany the pot pie.

Here's one they have -
Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
(Cuisine at home, February 2002, Issue 31, p. 11)

Makes: 6 Servings Total Time: 10 Minutes Rating: Easy

Wash and Stem:
6 cups arugula or other bitter salad greens

For the Vinaigrette —
Whisk Together:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 T. honey
1 t. garlic, minced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Garnish with:
Parmesan curls

Wash and stem arugula.

Whisk together lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt and ground pepper. While whisking drizzle in extra virgin olive oil. Toss arugula with vinaigrette.

Garnish with Parmesan curls.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/4 of recipe):
154 calories 83% calories from fat 14g total fat 7g carb. 9mg sodium
----

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner For Sept. 10th?????? by cjs (oh gee, Maryann, you...)
We're really looking forward to this YUM. When I told James about it, his eyes bugged out a bit and he shook his head yes, enthusiastically. Right now I'm planning to make that spinach salad with the strawberries and the grapefruit vinaigrette topped with crumbled gorgonzola for the side dish. Grilled fruit sounds cool CJ, how do you do it?
And lastly, and maybe most important, just in case I can't find frozen puff pastry, here in the great white north, could someone tell me how to make some?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Dinner For Sept. 10th?????? by farnfam (We're really looking...)
Oh shoot, cis, that sounds much better!! What issue is that?

the grilled fruit, I just spray a little pam on and grill kinda slowly so it will caramelize. Pineapple, I've been peeling, but not coring, the core gets tender on the grill. Melons. I haven't done apples yet, but I think I might try it this time. and plums are good also.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner For Sept. 10th?????? by cjs (Oh shoot, cis, that ...)
I'm in!!!! I'll use whatever greens I have in the garden for a salad. Now....for dessert. this weekend I'm making a White Chocolate Cloud Cake. If it turns out, I'll post the recipe. It looked dead easy when Anna Olson ( her program is "Sugar" on foodTV.ca). Or, Crepe Tower. I made it last weekend and will post it. LOL Me posting a recipe for a cake should be interesting.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Cis, making puff pastry is a long and involved process. I did it once and decided Pepperidge Farm is just fine. You can usually get it in the freezer section by the bread dough and frozen rolls. I can't thinkof a good substitue right now, but I'm coming off a 9 1/2 hour shift in the kitchen.

Though I think I remember a cheat recipe, when my brain uncoils a bit, (read: finish that glass of Chard) perhaps I'll remember where I saw it. Or maybe I saved it

PJ
PJ
I found this one, Cis. I've never tried it, but it only takes 15 minutes, and a practice run can be made with chicken pie or something. If you try it, let me know how it came out!

15 min Puff Pastry

#1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup butter
½ c sour cream

Cut butter into flour until it resembles crumbs.
Stir in sour cream.
Turn onto a floured board and knead until it just holds together.
Form into a ball, flatten slightly and wrap airtight.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Work with half of the dough at a time and keep other half in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Pound the dough with a heavy rolling pin to make it pliable.
Use in any recipe calling for puff pastry.

Guess the wine kicked in quicker than I thought

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Dinner For Sept. 10th?????? by pjcooks (Cis, making puff pas...)
Thanks for posting that PJ! I would like to try that sometime myself.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."