Does anybody make gingersnap cookies?
  Re: (...)
Ron wants me to make some like the ones he sampled at Costco yesterday. They were real thin and crispy.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Does anybody make gingersnap cookies? by Mare749 (Ron wants me to make...)
Make 'em all the time, Maryann. Will go get the recipe and type it up for you. Be right back.

EDIT

Here you go, Maryann. This recipe is from a VERY, VERY, old cookbook I have, dated 1905. This recipe was written on a piece of that "onion skin" paper -- remember that stuff??? and was written with a fountain pen in what I call "old-world" handwriting. I had to iron the paper onto a sheet of freezer paper to preserve it long enough to rewrite it. The date on the recipe was 1860!!! The only change I made to it was the wording, i.e. "ice box" to "refrigerator" and also left off "chicken" where the recipe calls for "l large egg" -- the original recipe was written for "l large chicken egg"!!!! Isn't it "funny" how things have changed??? I make this recipe all the time, about once a month. They are absolutely fab with an icey cold glass of milk! Hummmmmmmmmmm....think it's about that time to make 'em! Let me know how you like them!

These are the best gingersnap cookies ever. In an airtight container the cookies remain crispy; left out, they are chewy. Try some both ways. These are the best “dunking” cookie for milk. The cookies spread out and flatten during baking so make sure you leave enough space between them.

YIELD: approx. 4 dozen

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses, regular or unsulphured
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon powdered cloves
1/2 cup granulated sugar (to roll dough in)*

DIRECTIONS:

1. Sift Flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and sugar until well blended.
3. Beat in egg, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
4. Add the flour mixture in two parts, blending well after each.
5. Shape the dough into a ball, cover, refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 350.
7. Shape dough into balls, 1-1/2 inches for larger cookies, 1 inch for smaller cookies.
8. Roll the balls thoroughly in sugar and place on ungreased cookie trays. The cookies spread out during baking so do not crowd them.
9. Bake for 15 minutes, cool for one minute then remove from cookie trays.
10. Store in an airtight container for crispy cookies or in a regular cookie jar for chewy cookies.

**NOTE: Have used clear deco sugar/large granular sugar with just as good results as using granulated sugar.
  Re: Re: Does anybody make gingersnap cookies? by MUSICMAKER (Make 'em all the tim...)
Thank you so much, Linda! Ron is going to love these. I can tell by reading the recipe that is exactly what he wants. Some of the recipes I've looked at have more flour, so they are thicker and puffy, not what he asked for. This sounds perfect. I was hoping someone would have a treasure like this one.

Hope you are taking it easy. Let your family pamper you for a change.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anybody make gingersnap cookies? by Mare749 (Thank you so much, L...)
Here's another one Maryann:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rolled Brandy (Ginger) Snaps

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup butter -- melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Mix well. Ladle the mixture in small heaps, very well spaced, on to a baking sheet. Place in a preheated oven at 350F and bake for 7-8 minutes. Take cookies out of the oven and wrap each one around a wooden spoon handle, pressing them together where they join so that they do not unroll.

Source:
"Larousse Gastronomique pg 115"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Does anybody make gingersnap cookies? by bjcotton (Here's another one M...)
Thanks Billy, how yummy! These sound like candy, do you fill them with something?
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anybody make gingersnap cookies? by Mare749 (Thanks Billy, how yu...)
We went to a birthday party while we were in NZ and they were presented filled. Oh were they delicious. Don't know what the filling was, some sort of cream something or other.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Does anybody make gingersnap cookies? by bjcotton (We went to a birthda...)
I have made those often, Billy. And they are oh so good with candied/syruped baby oranges. I fill with just plain old whipped cream laced with a bit of brandy----YUMMM!!

Vanilla works, too. It's a nice lights dessert (although it doesn't sound like it) and a very nice presentation. HMMM--maybe after the Newburg pot pie??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Does anybody make gingersnap cookies? by Mare749 (Ron wants me to make...)
This one is a bit different. It has brewed coffee in it as well as crystallized ginger. Gives it a strong flavor. We love these with lemon ice cream! I have another recipe for EXTRA SPICY GINGERSNAPS (not on my site yet) that actually has ground black pepper in it!

GINGERSNAPS RECIPE
http://www.recipesandentertaining.com/De...F%20HOME%20PAGE
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: Does anybody make gingersnap cookies? by SDRecipeGirl (This one is a bit di...)
Thank you Lori! This is going to be fun. Thanks for the tip about the lemon ice-cream.

Maryann
Maryann