Maryann -- care to share your recipe
  Re: (...)
for the 18 hour bread? Wonder if it is similar to the recipe I have???? Thanx!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Maryann -- care to share your recipe by MUSICMAKER (for the 18 hour brea...)
Sure Linda, I'll be glad to. I believe it was Jean who first typed this up and posted it for all of us. I included notes from her as well as from Jan. (Halfbaked)
I think the original recipe is from Mark Bittman of the New York Times.

* Exported from MasterCook *

*18 HOUR BREAD - No Knead Bread

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt (Do not use regular table salt -- or your bread may become too salty.)
1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm (not hot) water

Combine the dry ingredients together in a large plastic or glass bowl. Pour in the water and stir just until mixed. A shaggy dough should form. Cover the bowl loosely (I use a very large Tupperware bowl) and allow it to sit on the counter for about 18 hours. The dough is ready when it becomes covered in bubbles and when you can see the strands of gluten forming when you tip the bowl. Your dough will be very wet and sticky. That is how it should be.

Sprinkle the work surface (I like to use my Silpat so that the dough doesn't stick) with a mixture of about 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup cornmeal. Scrape dough out onto the floured surface and fold it four times like you would a letter-once from 3 and 9 towards the middle and once from 6 and 12. Place dough back into the bowl seam-side down and cover again, allowing it to rest for another 2 hours.

(I actually just left mine on my Silpat mat and covered it with plastic wrap, but allowed enough space for it to rise. The Silpat made it easy to turn out the dough into the pan after the final rise. If you are using a plastic bowl, be sure not to touch your plastic bowl onto the hot pan or you will melt it.)

Midway through the final rise, preheat your oven as well as the 3 to 4-quart pot and lid to 450 degrees for 1 hour. After the dough has risen for about 2 hours, remove the hot pan and lid from the oven and quickly dump the dough into it. It should now be seam-side up. Replace the lid on the pot and bake the dough covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to bake it for 15 to 20 minutes longer. Be sure to check it after 15 minutes to ensure it isn't burning.

NOTES : Notes from author:
Now comes the most difficult part. Remove the bread from the oven and turn it out onto a cooling rack. It will be smelling divine and beckoning you with its golden brown colour and crackling crust as it cools. You MUST allow it to cool fully! Do not give into temptation and cut into it early. It is best to give it at least an hour before stealing your first slice.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you need to plan ahead. The dough needs to be able to sit for 18 hours. It then gets folded and allowed to rest and rise for another 2 hours, with baking and cooling taking another couple of hours. I usually stir my ingredients together around supper time the day before I need it so that by the following afternoon the dough is ready for me to finish off and bake, providing us with a home filled with the wonderful aroma of fresh-baked bread just in time for supper.

The other important key to this recipe is the pot. You will need a heavy bottomed 3 to 4 quart pot that is heat resistant up to 450 degrees. Be sure to remove any plastic knobs from lids that may not be able to withstand temperatures this high. Most people find success with pots from Le Creuset (removing the knob before baking) or a cast iron dutch oven. The pot should be deep enough that the bread will not rise up to touch the lid when it is baking.

The following amounts and method are what I have found work for me. I encourage you to read through some of the links above if you are interested in reading what has worked for other people including substituting whole wheat flour and the lengths of times they let the dough rest, etc. Overall, it is a very forgiving recipe and one that I hope you will find success with as much as I have.

Jan's notes on this recipe:
I love the NY Times No-Knead 'Mark Bittman' bread and have made it at least once a week since the recipe started making the rounds.

Each time I make it, I try to make it even easier:

1) After the 18 hr rising period, I don't turn it out onto anything. The towel process is horrible and if I had to do that, I wouldn't bother with the bread.
2) Now I just sprinkle the dough (in the same bowl) with a little flour and use a spatula to fold it over a few times.
3) I let it rise for the 2 hrs in that bowl.
4) Sometimes, before I put the bread into the hot pot, I sprinkle the bottom with some cornmeal but I really don't notice it enough to bother with this step anymore.

I LOVE this bread and Mr HB laughs and calls his office The Bakery. When we start getting low on bread, I just stir up another batch and his office is the warmest room in the house.

It's kinda sour dough-ish. It's wonderful for sandwiches, garlic bread, toast....I love it.

Don't worry if you take the batter out earlier or later. The first time, I almost stood there with a timer waiting for the 18 hrs to be up. I have used it from as little as 15 hrs and as long as 22 hrs and I've found out it tastes better after longer hours. This recipe is very forgiving. I don't think it could be messed up.

The height of the bread depends on the pot you cook it in. My pot is about 10", so The bread is about 2"-3" high
(me-even tho she's talking about Bittman's recipe, I'm sure the same would apply to this one also.)

------

I started the bread ~5:30 p.m. Thursday nite and finished it up ~11 a.m. Friday morning. We had eaten at least a third of it by dinner time - it was so good. But, I did let it rest the hour before cutting into it!

And all of this wonderful tasting bread with just 1/4 tsp. yeast!!! Not being a baker, I just find this hard to believe, 'cause I don't know all the ins and outs of baking.
It's just a flavorful, chewy, peasant bread.

--------------------
cjdacook
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Maryann -- care to share your recipe by Mare749 (Sure Linda, I'll be ...)
I've even baked it on a pizza stone and it came out good. Maybe I'll try it the right way some time
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Maryann -- care to share your recipe by Mare749 (Sure Linda, I'll be ...)
Thanx, Maryann. Not at all like the 18 hour recipe I have. Will have to give this one a try. Sounds far too easy!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Maryann -- care to share your recipe by MUSICMAKER (Thanx, Maryann. Not...)
That's whats so great about this bread, Billy - there is no right way!

Wow, I forgot how involved the recipe was written - I typed up a 'traveling' copy to use -

1. mix the ingredients together:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm (not hot) water
2. cover & let sit on counter 18 hours
3. sprinkle w/flour and fold over 4 times.
4. Recover (in same bowl) and let rise two hours.
5. 1 hour into rise, turn oven to 450 and put pan/lid in oven to heat.
6. Dump bread dough in pan, cover and return to oven for 30 min. 15 min. w/out lid if necessary.

----

I think the original mention 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. yeast and sometime that's what I started using - the 1/2 tsp.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com