Sausage Filling For Puff Pastry
  Re: (...)
Linda asked in the Tourtiere thread if sausage could be subbed for the pork. Here's a sausage filling I use for phyllo. I think it would be great in the puff pastry.

1/2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed (I use a mix of sweet and hot)
1 tbsp butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic , minced
S &P to taste
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
3 tbsp finely chopped italian parsley

Sauce
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 cup milk, scalded
2 egg yolks, well beaten
5 tbsp freshly grated parmigiano

In skillet, saute the sausage until browned and cooked through, breaking it up with a fork. Remove and drain on paper towels. Melt the butter, and saute the onion until transparent. Add the garlic for the last few minutes. Combine meat and onions in a mixing bowl, add the S&P, oregano and parsley. Mix well.

To make the sauce, melt butter in a small heavy saucepan, add the flour and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, add the scalded milk, and stir with a whisk. Return to heat, and whisk constantly until sauce is smooth and thick. Add a few spoonfuls of the hot sauce to the egg yolks, and beat to heat the yolks, then add to the sauce and whisk a minute. Add the cheese and cook just until cheese melts. Combine with the meat mixture and let cool.

Check for seasonings before using.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Sausage Filling For Puff Pastry by Lorraine (Linda asked in the T...)
Thanks Lorraine! Took the Italian sausage out of the freezer last night to make today, just as soon as I've finished Labradors recipe for lunch! I like to make things like this for the boys (and me, too!), where they can just grab and go. They are constantly running, between working, classes and running in and out of here between. On certain days they don't always have time to stop and eat a decent meal and I'd rather have things like this ready for them vs. the fast food route!

I wasn't going to add anything to the sausage, thinking it would be fine just as it is, but after reading your ingredients, will give this a try too. Thinking of making half this way and half with just the sausage.

Thanx again!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Sausage Filling For Puff Pastry by MUSICMAKER (Thanks Lorraine! To...)
I think doing it half and half is a good idea. They are both very different. Hope you enjoy them!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sausage Filling For Puff Pastry by Lorraine (I think doing it hal...)
I'm sure they'll be a hit! Will let you know - - one will be home shortly!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda