Lorraine's Banana Bread---Yummm!
  Re: (...)
Lorraine, I made a double recipe of this today and got five nice mini loaves out of it. I'm meeting a couple of old friends for brunch tomorrow morning and wanted to take a little something. Ron and I just dug into one for ourselves and I have to tell you, this tastes just like the banana bread my mom used to make. The recipe in her file box is old, faded, stained, and crumbling and I can't read it, but your recipe must be the closest I've come to duplicating it. My dad is going to be thrilled. This is just delicious, Lorraine. Thanks so much!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Lorraine's Banana Bread---Yummm! by Mare749 (Lorraine, I made a d...)
Maryann, was this recipe posted here recently? I lost my fav recipe years ago and have yet to find one even close to the taste of it. Would you mind posting the recipe or advise if posted here? Thanks!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Banana Bread---Yummm! by MUSICMAKER (Maryann, was this re...)
I happpen to have this little goodie also, so here you go, Linda
----------
per Lorraine:
Here's the one I've been using for years. It's from an ancient Purity Flour cookbook, circa 1950. Please see my notes at the end.

Preheat oven to 350.

Blend or sift together:
1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking pwder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream 1/2 cup shortening
Gradually beat in 2/3 cup sugar
Add 2 well beaten eggs
Conbine well

Add dry ingredients gradually, alternating with 1 cup mashed bananas. Beat until combined after each addition.

Pour into a 9 X 5 greased loaf pan. Let sit 20 minutes. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 50 - 55 minutes.

Notes
I use canola oil in place of shortening.
I like it very bananay, so usually add a bit more banana. I don't usually measure, I use 3 big bananas.
I do it all in the KitchenAid. Start by beating the bananas, remove them, and continue from there.
letting it sit the 20 minutes is key, so I start preheating the oven aften the mixture is in the pan.

I usually make 2-3 at a time. When cool, slice, butter, into a ziplock bag, then into a good ziplock freezer bag. I can then take out what I need for lunches. It will keep well for at least 2 months frozen.
I also use this recipe for mini muffins for fundraisers at work. Works great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Banana Bread---Yummm! by cjs (I happpen to have th...)
Thanks, Jean. In comparison to all the banana recipes I've been trying, the ingredients are less. The ones I've tested have some sour cream, buttermilk, etc., in them.

Have you ever put nuts in this, say like some toasted walnuts or pecans? If so, did the nuts change the end result any? Thanx much!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Banana Bread---Yummm! by MUSICMAKER (Thanks, Jean. In co...)
Sorry to be late replying. company, ya know! I have added toasted pecans, and it still turned out, I didn't change the basic recipe at all. Chocolate chips were also very good in it, but it did make it very moist. I also use the same recipe for mini muffins, just adjust the cook time. I'm really glad you liked it!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Banana Bread---Yummm! by Lorraine (Sorry to be late rep...)
Yuuummm, bananas and chocolate! Thanks for that idea, and for the info on adding the nuts! We love nuts in banana bread/cake. Love the idea of the muffins, too! Thanks!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Lorraine's Banana Bread---Yummm! by Mare749 (Lorraine, I made a d...)
I will have to try this one. I have also added Chopped dried apricots to my recipe - and the mini chocolate chips. The kids really like it with the chips in it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Banana Bread---Yummm! by Lorraine (Sorry to be late rep...)
Made this recipe last night and my husband and I loved
it. really a good recipe. thanks for sharing.
Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Lorraine's Banana Bread---Yummm! by mjkcooking (Made this recipe las...)
I'm really glad ya'll liked it. ( I just read the savannah thread ) Isn't it amazing how these old cookbooks always have tried and true favourites that just never fail?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.