Have you ever had...
  Re: (...)
Tampiquena and Beans de la Olla? We went to a Mexican restaurant last night for supper. Carol and I ordered Tampiquena which was a piece of steak about 3/4" thick and was rolled around shimp, onions, and tomato then bacon was wrapped around the whole thing. I don't know what besides the shrimp was inside...sure was tasty. It was served in a redish sauce that had onions, green bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic in it [don't know what else. As a side dish the beans were cooked with cumin, cilantro, chopped onions, and finished with chopped tomatoes. It was wonderful also. Any one made these two dishes?

I Googled Tampiquena and none of the recipes were even similar.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Have you ever had... by bjcotton (Tampiquena and Beans...)
Sorry Billy - couldn't find anything like that on my favorite Mexican sites, found some references to Tampiqueña, but not what you're looking for. (But, I did copy a couple ) Even my 'translator' thang didn't translate, so it's probably a place rather than a way of cooking.

It's like my favorite catfish (don't shudder!) dish I get in two restaurants in Sacto/Cameron Park, Calif. - I've never been able to find a similar recipe. They try to tell me how to do it, but.........
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Have you ever had... by bjcotton (Tampiquena and Beans...)
None of the recipes from Mexico included shrimp. It was strictly "carne a la tampiqueña" ("meat in the style of the city of Tampico"). In particular, El Colegio Superior de Gastronomía of Mexico said, "De Tampico procede la famosa tampiqueña, corte de filete asado acompañado de enchiladas, guacamole y frijoles refritos" - "From Tampico comes the famous tampiqueña: sliced, roasted fillet accompanied by enchiladas, guacamole, and refried beans."

Was this a Mexican restaurant, or was it a Mexican-style restaurant in the U.S.? They may have made some modifications to the recipe.

Here's a link to one of those recipes that also happened to have a photo (I'll translate it later, if you wish). By far, that recipe was the one that came up the most, on multiple sites. One had a few more ingredients, but was still about the same. Only one (the menu for a restaurant, not a recipe) mentioned bacon.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Have you ever had... by labradors (None of the recipes ...)
I found pretty much what Lab found and this is one of the ones I copied - sounds good.

Tampiquena Steak - Carne Asada a la Tampiqueña

1 lb filet steak, carved as carne asada
1/2 lb shredded meat or chicken for tacos
12 tortillas
1 mole sauce
2 avocados to make guacamole
1 1/2 cups refried beans
1 pkg Mexican rice
1 can chile poblano sliced
shredded lettuce
chopped tomatoes

Using the meat shredded as for tacos, make four mole enchiladas (or substitute cheese of you choice) and place on an ovenproof plate in a 375 F. for 8 to 10 minutes.

While this is cooking, make four guacamole cups and fill them with the guacamole.
Make tostadas from 2 tortillas, as a garnish for the beans. Next, make 4 shredded meat tacos with either crisp or medium-fried tortillas.

Remove the plates with the enchiladas and arrange the tacos, rajas, guacamole cups, refried beans and rice on the plate. Place two tostadas in each serving of beans.

Using a very hot fire, broil the steaks very quickly, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on the first side, and 1 minute on the second (as it will be placed against the sizzling hot plate) and set on the plate.

Garnish the plates with the lettuce or cabbage and tomatoes and serve.

Enjoy this delicious steak tampiquena carne asada Mexican recipe!
------

Now I'm drooling on the keyboard again!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Have you ever had... by labradors (None of the recipes ...)
I saw that one too Jean.

No Labradors, the one we had was shaped like a Crescent Roll. There were no tacos or anything else served with it except the beans. This is a Mexican restaurant. The cook, waiters, bartenders, waitresses, etc., are all Mexican. You can look at their menu at www.carlosrestaurante.com. Their Albondigas soup is just heavenly.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Have you ever had... by bjcotton (I saw that one too J...)
Interesting menu. They even list Tacos al Pastor as "marinated beef," when it is actually marinated pork, pinapple, and onion cooked on a vertical rotisserie similar to the way gyros are done:

[Image: alpastor.jpg]

They are taking at least SOME American liberties, so you probably will not find an authentic carne tampiqueña recipe, from mexico, that exactly matches what this restaurant serves.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Have you ever had... by labradors (Interesting menu. T...)
One of the other recipes I saw was from Ann Hazard's, Cooking with Baja Magic -

PUNTA MORRO STYLE MARTINIS

On the northern edge of Ensenada, hanging right out over the Pacific, is the exquisite gourmet restaurant, Punta Morro. It's the kind of place I reserve for celebrations marking special occasions. The presentation of their Martini is something right out of Hollywood. And the hint of Scotch they add to it makes it smooth, smooth, smooth! Just imagine yourself sitting back, sipping your Martini as you watch those waves crash onto the rocks below you and explode skyward. As the moonlight dances across the ocean's surface, check out the menu and order on of their mouth-watering dinners, served with gourmet homegrown vegetables from the nearby Guadalupe Valley. This recipe, shared with me by my waiter, serves two. It takes only a few minutes to make too.

1 16 oz tin bucket (this looks like a tiny version of the stand old-fashioned bucket)
1 6 oz tin urn
1 ½ cups ice water
3 oz Gin or Vodka
3 splashes Vermouth
3 drops Scotch
6 pimento-stuffed green olives on toothpicks or plastic swords

Chill two Martini glasses in the refrigerator. Fill bucket with ice and water. In urn, mix Gin or Vodka with Vermouth and Scotch. Place in ice bucket to chill. Place a sword or toothpick with three skewered olives into each Martini glass. Serve the bucket of Martinis with the two glasses and pour about an inch or liquor into each.

Hint: If you have no way of locating the bucket or urn-you can make these Martinis the old fashioned way in a shaker with slightly crushed ice. When thoroughly chilled, pour into Martini glasses and serve as above, leaving the shaker on the table so your guests can refill their own glasses.

------

DENISE!! Put the shooters away and try this with me!
www.achefsjourney.com