Red Velvet Cake & Coca-Cola Cake -- Has anyone
  Re: (...)
ever made either one of these or tasted either?

Re. the red velvet cake: In the 30 some years of my baking/wedding cake making, etc., never have any of my brides or other customers requested this cake, which I understand is truly a southern confection. I have always been curious about this tho never made one, nor tasted one. For some reason, the newspapers around here of late have been putting this cake up front and center. Has anyone ever made one of these, or tasted one? What is all the hype about? I just don't get it, why one would even want to consume 2 jars of red food color????!!! YUCK!!! That alone turns my stomach.

Comments on this cake? And if anyone can convince me as to why I should make one and try it, do you have a T&T recipe for it? (Yeah, the papers offer recipes but all are vastly different and none comment on the actual taste).

Re. the Coca-Cola cake: Basically the same with this one, curiosity-wise. It hasn't been in the papers but while I am laying around recouperating I've been going thru all my recipes, cleaning house so to say, and have come across several recipes for this. Apparently at one time or another I wanted to make one of these. Any info or comments on this one???

Thanks!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Red Velvet Cake & Coca-Cola Cake -- Has anyone by MUSICMAKER (ever made either one...)
Quote:

Comments on this cake? And if anyone can convince me as to why I should make one and try it, do you have a T&T recipe for it? (Yeah, the papers offer recipes but all are vastly different and none comment on the actual taste).

The food colouring is just that: colouring. Otherwise, the "Red Velvet" cake is just another kind of chocolate cake. It IS, however, a very, very good chocolate cake so, once you find a T&T recipe, you should be able to leave out the food colouring - only losing the visual effect.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Red Velvet Cake & Coca-Cola Cake -- Has anyone by MUSICMAKER (ever made either one...)
At the hotel I used to work, the 'pastry chef' was asked quite often to make this cake - Done right it's a great tasting, moist cake. I love it - additives and all. But, I never ask her for the recipe. Good luck in your quest.

BUT, I do have a recipe for this one - we played with it one time and it was heaven - but, it's Maida Heatter's, what else could it be????

Black Velvet Icebox Cake
Adapted from the famous Chocolate Velvet, served at Restaurant Associates’ Four Seasons in NYC – serves 16 to 24 (portions should be small)
Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Desserts

Prepare 2 sponge sheets from the following recipe, making one after the other. Do not double the recipe.

Sponge Sheet: (This classic recipe will make a thin, rather solid but flexible sheet)
5 eggs separated
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons sifted All-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

Adjust rack one-third up from bottom of oven. Preheat to 375 degrees F.
Butter a 10-1/2 x 15-1/2 x 1” jelly roll pan. Line bottom and sides with one long piece of wax paper. Butter the paper and dust lightly with flour.

In small bowl of mixer at HIGH speed, beat yolks 3-4 minutes until thick and light lemon colored.

Add 2 Tablespoons of the sugar (reserve remaining 2 Tablespoons) and the vanilla.

Continue to beat at HIGH speed for 3-4 minutes more until mixture is very thick and falls very slowly from the beaters when they are lifted.

Reduce speed to LOWEST and add flour, scraping bowl with rubber spatula and beating only until flour is incorporated.

In large bowl of mixer, with clean beaters, at HIGH speed, beat the egg whites with the salt until the mixture thickens enough to hold a very soft shape. Gradually add the reserved 2 Tablespoons of sugar and continue to beat at HIGH speed until mixture holds a firm shape and is stiff but not dry.

In 3 additions, fold one-half of the whites into the yolks (don’t be too thorough) then fold the yolks back into the remaining whites only until no whites show. Handle as little as possible.

Turn batter into prepared pan. Handle lightly. With rubber spatula, spread as smooth as possible – there should be no thin spots. (The batter will not run, it will stay where you put it.)

Bake 15-18 minutes or until top is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched in the center and cakes comes away from sides of pan.

While cake is baking, spread out a dry kitchen towel (smooth cotton, flour sacking or linen). Remove baked cake from oven and invert immediately onto the towel.

Remove pan and wax paper. Let cool on towel. Repeat to make second sponge sheet.

TO ASSEMBLE:
Line the bottom of a 9x3” springform pan (sides must be 3” high) with wax paper, unbuttered.

At one short end of a sponge sheet, right up against the end, touching the edge trace around the spring form with a small sharp knife just to indicate the circle. Remove spring form and cut out the circle of cake. Repeat with second sponge sheet, making second circle of cake.

Place one of the cake rounds in the pan.

With a ruler and toothpicks, carefully mark remaining pieces of cake into even slices 2-3/4” wide (two from one piece of cake and one from the other), marking from short end of sponge sheet, so they are 9-1/2” long. Cut with small sharp knife, cutting against the ruler. That gives you 3 slices, each one 2-3/4” x 9-1/2”.

Cut 1 inch off one of the long strips, making it 8-1/2 inches long. Place it and the other 2 longer strips standing up around the sides of the pan, the top side of the cake against the pan. Fit the strips together tightly, pushing them into each other to make a tight fit.

Reserve remaining round of cake. You will not need the cut ends and pieces.

Prepare the following Chocolate Filling:

CHOCOLATE FILLING:
1-1/2 pounds (24 squares) semisweet chocolate
1-1/2 Tablespoons instant coffee
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup Grand Marnier
3 egg yolks
1 cup egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream

Place chocolate in top of large double boiler over hot water on moderate heat. Cover until partially melted, then uncover and stir occasionally until melted. Turn it into a small bowl of electric mixer and let stand, stirring occasionally, until cooled to room temperature.

Meanwhile, dissolve instant coffee in boiling water and set aside.

When chocolate has completely cooled, on LOWEST speed very gradually beat in the prepared coffee and the Grand Marnier and then the egg yolks, scraping with a rubber spatula as necessary to keep mixture smooth. Beat only until smooth. Set aside.

In large bowl of mixer at HIGH speed, beat the egg whites with the salt until they hold a very soft shape. Gradually beat in the sugar and continue to beat until whites hold a definite point, or are stiff but not dry.

Fold one large spoonful of the beaten whites into the chocolate mixture. Fold in another large spoonful. Gradually, in several additions, fold in half of the remaining whites, folding completely until no whites show.

In a chilled bowl with chilled beaters, whip the cream until it holds a soft shape but is not stiff. Fold the cream into the chocolate mixture.

Pour the filling into the cake lined pan. If it reaches to the top of the cake on the sides, cover with the remaining circle of cake.

If the filling does not quite reach to the top of the cake, cut around the remaining circle of cake with scissors, cutting in 1/4” from the edge to make the circle small enough to fit down inside the cake on the sides. Place it over the filling.

Cover with clear wrap or aluminum foil and a light weight. (I use a cake pan or a small cookie sheet with something not too heavy placed on the center of it.)

Refrigerate for 5 hours or more (or freeze, if you wish).

Remove sides of spring form. Place dessert platter over dessert. VERY CAREFULLY invert. Remove bottom of pan and paper.

Cut six strips of wax paper, each 1-1/2 to 2” wide and 6-8 inches long. With a wide metal spatula or pancake turner, very gently raise a small section of the cake and slide a strip of wax paper under it to protect the plate when icing the cake. Continue all around cake.

Cover with the following icing:

ICING:
6 ounces semisweet or extra-bittersweet chocolate (Tobler Extra-Bittersweet is the best)
1/2 cup boiling water

Break chocolate into pieces and place them in a small heavy bottomed saucepan. Add boiling water and place over LOW heat. Stir with wire whisk until smooth.

Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature to cool. Stir the icing well.

Working quickly before the cold cake hardens the icing, pour it over the cake completely covering the top and letting very little run down the sides.

With a small narrow metal spatula, spread smoothly on the sides.

Remove wax paper strips immediately before icing sets.

NOTES:

Ø Black Velvet may be refrigerated for a day or two or it may be frozen before it is iced.

Ø Dip knife in hot water or hold it under running hot water before cutting each slice

Ø Black Velvet may be served ‘as is’ or with Grand Marnier Custard Sauce or with sweetened whipped cream flavored with Grand Marnier.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Red Velvet Cake & Coca-Cola Cake -- Has anyon by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I have made this recipe (albeit a long time ago) and it is VERY good!! Light and moist, a bit labor intensive but that's what bakers love!! Denver Red Cake

This cake supposedly originated at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York at the turn of the century but migrated west with some silver-rich Coloradoan who paid $1000 for the formula. Since then the cake has definitely belonged to the Mile High City.

For the Cake

½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
¼ cup red food coloring
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 ¼ cups (280 gm) sifted cake or soft wheat flour (or 2 cups plain flour and 2 ½ TBS cornflour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cider vinegar

For the Icing

3 TBS all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F . To make the cake, beat the butter with the sugar in the large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.

Stir the food coloring, vanilla and cocoa together to form a paste. Beat into the batter.

Stir the salt into the buttermilk. Add to the batter in 3 parts, alternating with the flour.

Stir the baking soda into the vinegar and add to the batter. Pour the batter into two greased and floured 9 inch (23 cm) round cake pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

When the cake is completely cool, unmold the cake then cut each layer in half horizontally to form four layers.

To make the icing, slowly whisk the flour with the milk in a saucepan until smooth. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until thick, about five minutes. Let cool.

Beat the butter with the sugar in the large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Slowly beat in the cooled milk mixture. Spread the icing over the tops of 3 cake layers. Place one on top of the other and top with the remaining layer. Ice the sides and top of the cake.

This is from America The Beautiful Cookbook

I bet bbally knows about this one!!!

Jean--yours sounds YUMMM---look at all that Grand Marnier Copied----to do!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Red Velvet Cake & Coca-Cola Cake -- Has anyon by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[The food colouring is just that: colouring. Otherwise, the "Red Velvet" cake is just another kind of chocolate cake.

Chocolate? None of the recipes in the paper have chocolate in them!!! Interesting.

Based on the ingredients listed in the recipes in the papers they all sounded like a "plain" old cake, i.e. a white or yellow cake heavily colored red. Think I'll pass on exploring this one!

Jean, I have some of Maida's cookbooks and they contain spectacular cakes. Frequently use her recipes for the wedding cakes, especially for the eccentric brides. The cake you posted sounds fabulous. Printed it (tho it's probably in one of her books I have!). That one will have to wait until I can stand long enough to make it...but it will be made eventually!

Thanks for the post, Roxanne. Printed that out, too. Will eventually make this but will skip the red coloring. . .unless guests come for dinner that need be impressed!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Red Velvet Cake & Coca-Cola Cake -- Has anyon by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

Chocolate? None of the recipes in the paper have chocolate in them!!! Interesting.

Technically, so, but people generally refer to cakes that use cocoa as "chocolate" cakes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Traditionally real Red Velvet cake had beet juice or grated beet in it. NOT red food coloring. If you check the internet you will find these older traditional recipes are still around. Most of the 'real' recipes will also have buttermilk and vinegar in them. This was said to cause a reaction witht he cocoa and turn it reddish brown. If you really want to try a 'real' Red Velvet cake I would stick with the ones without (sans) food coloring.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Red Velvet Cake & Coca-Cola Cake -- Has anyone by luvnit (Traditionally real R...)
That's right, Laura - I had forgotten that!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Red Velvet Cake & Coca-Cola Cake -- Has anyone by luvnit (Traditionally real R...)
Quote:

Traditionally real Red Velvet cake had beet juice or grated beet in it. NOT red food coloring.

Now that makes sense!!!

Just wonder why NONE of the recipes in the newspapers did not contain chocolate -- of any kind. I think I'm gonna drop a line to the food editor and inquire! I did check some recipes out on the net, all contained chocolate in some form, but did not see any with the beet juice. Will keep looking tho. Thanks for that tidbit of info!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Red Velvet Cake & Coca-Cola Cake -- Has anyone by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I found this recipe on the internet and have not made it myself so I can not attest to its quality. However, it does contain beet juice.

--------------------------------------------

Chocolate Red Velvet Cake
with Chocolate Icing
Yield: 1 cake serving 8 people

When I was growing up, I always wanted a simple chocolate cake for my birthday. I still do. This velvety chocolate cake gets its name from its smooth texture and reddish hue. The original recipe called for red beet juice—in some parts of the country it is called beet cake—but was altered by manufacturers who added red food coloring to the cake. "Red coloring is evil and dangerous for children and other living things," Carole Greenwood, a chef in Washington, D.C. told me. She refuses to use food coloring but loves this buttermilk-based velvety chocolate cake, and uses red wine vinegar or beet juice for the color. She also makes her version less sweet, using both good-quality cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate.

For the cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup good-quality cocoa powder
2 extra-large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons pickled beet juice or red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

For the icing:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease two 9-inch round cake pans.

2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the water and cocoa powder, and allow the mixture to cool.

3. Beat the eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer, then add the vanilla, buttermilk, baking soda, and beet juice or red wine vinegar and stir well.

4. Sift together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, cornstarch, salt, and sugar into the bowl. Pour in the butter and then the egg mixture and blend thoroughly on low.

5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

6. Cool the cakes for a few minutes, then turn them out onto wire racks, and frost and fill the center with the chocolate icing.

Chocolate Icing

1. Place the cream, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until hot and bubbly.

2. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring slowly until smooth and silky. Add the vanilla and the salt. Taste and adjust the sweetness to your taste. Cool for about 15 minutes before frosting the cake.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura