Butternut squash soup
  Re: (...)
From Splendid Soups

I was in a soup mood last night and, seeing that Peter is not a huge fan of veggie soups (except vichyssoise), I made this for me.

It was very good--sweet because of the caramelized onion and garlic/seasonings. I will cut back (AGAIN) on the red pepper flakes if I make again. Overall, this is a geat soup---the blend of wine, brandy, broth---was pleasant. I did not have a baguette so left that out but added the cheese and swirled a bit of the Romesco sauce through--subbed sour cream for the heavy cream also but that just added an extra tang.

I will do this again---for me.....Peter might like this too--

I was looking at those Sausage-Apple Empanadas as a side but didn't think I could indulge that much--sure look good though---sounds like they would be a good appy somewhere.

The Romesco sauce is great with cooked shrimp---IMHO!!

If anyone needs the recipe--I will be happy to post!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Butternut squash soup by Roxanne 21 (From Splendid Soups[...)
Roxanne, I've been contemplating ordering that book, Splendid Soups. How is it? From one soup fiend to another, is it worth it?
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Butternut squash soup by Roxanne 21 (From Splendid Soups[...)
Would be interesting to compare. Here is the one I've been using for 14 years.

Code:
Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+[br]|                          Butternut Squash and Leek Soup                      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]|      Ingredients     |   Qty.   |                  Instructions              |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Butternut squash,    | 4 1/2 Lb | Place, cut side down, onto a baking sheet.    |[br]| halved lengthwise    |          | Bake at 350º until tender, about 40 minutes,  |[br]|                      |          | depending upon size of squash.  Let cool      |[br]|                      |          | slightly.  Using a spoon, scrape out and      |[br]|                      |          | discard the seeds.  Scrape the squash from    |[br]|                      |          | the skin.                                      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Unsalted butter      |   5 T    | Melt in a Dutch oven, over low heat.      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Leeks (white and     |   4 Lg   | Add to pot and cover.  Cook on low, stirring  |[br]| light green chopped) |          | occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, |[br]| Fresh thyme          | 7 Sprigs | about 40 minutes.  Remove thyme sprigs.      |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Chicken stock        |   5 C    | Stir in to pot.  Stir in squash.  Simmer over |[br]|                      |          | moderate heat for 20 minutes.              |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Salt                 | 1 1/4 t  | In a blender or food processor, pureé soup in |[br]| Freshly ground black |  1/2 t   | batches until smooth.  Pour back into pot and |[br]| pepper               |          | season.                                       |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+[br]| Sour cream           |  1/2 C   | To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish   |[br]| Green onion tops or  |   3 T    | each serving with 1 T of sour cream, 1 T of   |[br]| chives, chopped      |          | green onions, and a sprinkling of bacon bits. |[br]| Bacon, fried or      | 8 Slices |                                               |[br]| broiled, crumbled    |          |                                               |[br]+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------------------------+

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Butternut squash soup by MUSICMAKER (Roxanne, I've been c...)
ABSOLUTELY!!!! GO for it---there are a ton of great recipes in there---I have done a few and all have been very pleasant, indeed. Twists and an increase/decrease in one or another of an ingredient goes without saying.Of course, you must remember that we always make what we think we will like---so many other choices to try though. Not so sure about some of them but who cooks every recipe from a magazine/tome?

I think it was well worth the investment---JMHO!!!

LOVE soups!!
  Re: Re: Butternut squash soup by labradors (Would be interesting...)
The one from Splendids is very different---but yours sounds good. I will post the recipe tomorrow and then you can compare.

I bet that the roasting would add a bit more dimension to the one in Splendids but the infusion of the brandy/wine would be lost--maybe not. Interesting thought though.

Here is the recipe---couldn't sleep so being the complusive that I am----would love to know what your critique is!!

Butternut Squash Soup (Splendid Soup Recipes)

Total time: 1 hour

Saute in 2 TBS each olive oil and unsalted butter:
1 cup onion, diced
1 TBS garlic, minced
2 tsp minced fresh sage (I had to use a bit of dried)
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp red pepper flakes (will use less next time)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon (used a bit more—love cinnamon!!)

Stir in and add;
¼ cup brandy
8 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1” chunks
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
Finish with:
¼ cup heavy cream (I used sour cream—but less)
Salt and pepper to taste
Toast; sprinkle with and broil:
8 baguette slices, toasted
1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
Romesco sauce

Saute onion, garlic, sage, sugar, pepper flakes and cinnamon in oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat, Cook until onion is soft, about 10 minutes.

Stir in brandy and cook for 1 minute; add the squash, broth, and wine. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return to the pot.

Finish soup with cream, salt and pepper. Preheat broiler to High.

Toast baguette slices on a baking sheet under the broiler: sprinkle with cheese, then broil again to melt cheese, 1-2 minutes. Top each serving with a baguette and drizzle with Romesco sauce.

Romesco sauce

Pulse:
1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, diced
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
¼ cup Parmesan, shredded
2 TBS white wine vinegar (I used sherry vinegar---just because I have it)
Salt and red pepper flakes
Process in a food processor until sauce-like.
Keeps for one week chilled.

I see this sauce used for many delights!!! Totally great with cooked shrimp!
  Re: Re: Butternut squash soup by labradors (Would be interesting...)
labradors
I am not a computer whiz so - how do i get your recipe
to fit onto my paper - I am loosing the right side
or only 1/2 is printing out. do like the format.
thanks
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Butternut squash soup by mjkcooking (labradors [br]I am n...)
You probably need to change the margins.

First, instead of trying to print it directly from the web page, make sure you copy and paste it into something like MS-Word.

Then, in the menu at the top of the window, click "File" and select "Page Setup," In there, you should be able to change the margin settings. Make the left and right margins half an inch, and it should be okay.

When you save the recipe to a file, that margin setting will be saved with the file, so you won't have to do it for THAT file again.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Butternut squash soup by Roxanne 21 (The one from Splendi...)
Quote:

I bet that the roasting would add a bit more dimension to the one in Splendids but the infusion of the brandy/wine would be lost--maybe not.

Roxanne, since you've already made this soup, what about roasting the squash with the brandy and wine? When I roast things in the oven for use in a recipe I usually add liquid of some sort, albeit a little or a lot. . . .do you think that using the brandy and wine during the roasting period would impart a delictable flavor??? The recipe states to peel and cube the squash, put it in the pot with the brandy, etc. Why not just put it in the oven vs. the stovetop? Think it would turn out o.k.?

This soup sounds so good right now, sooooo comforting!!! (Actually, just some brandy straight up sounds so good right now, sooooo comforting!!! ) Thanks for posting it.

Thanks for the opinion on the book. Got off the fence and finally just ordered it! Now I can't wait to get it!
  Re: Re: Butternut squash soup by MUSICMAKER ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Wow, just looked at the recipe and I made it last October!! Time flies! We liked it very much - and when I made it, I did roast the squash, I prefer doing this for almost any squash dish. I pulled it just before it was done and added to the pot for a little more cooking then puree.

I made the Sausage-Apple Empanadas to go with the soup and liked them also. I've tried five or six soups from the book - probably the Poblano-Corn Chowder (with the Crab Toasts - sorry Linda...) is our favorite so far.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butternut squash soup by cjs (Wow, just looked at ...)
I'm convinced---will roast next time!!! I absolutely adore roasted veggies---now why didn't I think of that---GEESH!!

That's why I am here----just to remind us amateurs
of how things can be done!!! Learning every day--

THANKS!!!!