Ice Box cakes revisited. . . ,
  Re: (...)
Jean's response to my Red Velvet cake inquiry and her mention of Maida Heatter's cakes caused me to pull her books out. Well, surprise, surprise when right next to one of hers there stands a cookbook entitled, what else, "Ice Box Cakes"! Didn't even know I had it! (An avid cookbook collector, I stopped counting them when a few years ago the tally was 357 of them. Don't even want to know how many there are now, tho I do recall #2 complaining when he carried in an infinite number of boxes labeled "cookbooks" when we moved last month....ugh oh.... Gotta put that darn VISA away!)

The book is 206 pages and has 156 ice box cake recipes in it. In reading the cover front and back and inside front and back flaps, it gave a quick explanation of the cakes.

They apparently became popular in the 1950's when the new fangled ovens were on the market and every housewife (do those still exist?) wanted one but couldn't afford one. The cakes were "invented" so the housewife could still make a cake but not depend on the oven. Makes sense for the time period. The book also states that the ice box cakes were a good way to carry over the summer harvest into winter yet not have to worry about, again, the oven. The cakes could be made in the summer to continue to enjoy the fruits of the harvest throughout the winter.

HC, the two recipes you posted are in this book, without the Lyle's syrup, along with others that sound just as delicious. I also like the fact that they are quick to make and the idea of having them readily available in the freezer, especially for unexpected dinner guests. Having a cake or two in the freezer solves the problem.

There are a lot of fruit containing cakes in this book along with chocolate and even ice box cheesecakes. The lemon blackberry cheesecake looks yummy, peach cheesecake, cappuccino, or a coconut cheesecake with mango sauce...think I'm gonna have to try one of those. Don't think I've ever had a no-bake cheesecake. Has anybody out there?

Will post recipes from this book if anyone is interested.
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Ice Box cakes revisited. . . , by MUSICMAKER (Jean's response to m...)
Very interesting!!! Intersted in any NEW recipes.

Those icebox cakes are from my very young working days as a nurse and mother---easy and everybody loved them.....that was a former life but I still remain a "housewife" and love every minute of it!!!

Funny---I don't have any of those recipes, sort of got lost in the transit,,,,would be fun to resurrect. What book are you talking about? Wonder if I can find it on Amazon---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy