Savannah
  Re: (...)
I am planning a trip to Savannah, Georgia next month and would be interested in receiving any information on 'must see' places/things.

Also, I want to visit an area and learn more about the Gullah culture. I have looked into Sapelo Island, but that is about 60 miles south of Savannah. I know that South Carolina has areas that may be of interest; if anyone is familiar with this culture and has other ideas on where I can visit to learn more, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mindy
  Re: Savannah by HMin (I am planning a trip...)
If you have not seen the movie "Midnight In The garden Of Good And Evil", I would strongly suggest you see it before you go. Then you can take the walkig tour of it. If you do see the movie and like it, the guy who plays "Lady Chablis" used to have a show a few times a month at Club One. It was a great show, they used to have a website, not sure if they still do.

Both times I've been, we have taken a trolley car tour. One was in the horse drawn carriage. The other is Old Town Trolley Tours. They stop at 14 places, you can get off where you want, then get back on the next one. they come every 30 minutes. We stopped at several places, one of the best was a graveyard. It was ancient and creepy. If you do take it, do stop at some of the churches and historical houses. They are wonderful. We got off at either East or West River St, and just walked all the way back. Shopped and ate our way down the street.

The Squares are a must see. They were built so that you can stand anywhere, and see all the corners. If you take the Trolley car, you'll see them. Just so well done, really nice to walk around.

The Peanut Shop on East River Street is great. We brought home two huge bags of every kind of nut.

There is a Gullah village on the way in to Charleston. We had been told about it by a friend, and almost missed the small sign. It gave me the heebyjeebeez, but the others loved it. I was on crutches, and I think the scariest thing was me running on crutches trying to keep up to them. We know the name of the village, but not the spelling. It sounds like Oogoodoogoo. We googled and couldn't find it. I'll try to go throught the pictures, and find the right spelling.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Savannah by Lorraine (If you have not seen...)
I have a cookbook "Charleston Receipts" that has a lot of Gullah recipes in it that you might be interested in. It has been republished many, many times and an acquaintance of mine was kind enough to send me a copy.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Savannah by Lorraine (If you have not seen...)
Sounds like a great place to visit, Lorraine. I've been to Atlanta many many years ago, always wanted to see Savannah.

The Gullah culture sounds fascinating, will have to read up on this one. And Billy, you even have a coookbookSmile

Have fun Mindy, and welcome to the board!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Savannah by pjcooks (Sounds like a great ...)
Wow, sounds like I'd better add Savannah to our list of "go to" places. Have a fun trip and welcome to the forums, Mindy!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
We've looked into a vacation on Tybee Island near Savannah, but haven't been yet. I would also recommend reading the book - "Midnight...". Books are always better than the movie to me!

I picked up the Charleston Receipts cookbook while on a vacation there. Billy's right... It's a fun book.
  Re: Re: Savannah by bjcotton (I have a cookbook "C...)
" acquaintance of mine was kind enough to send me a copy "

Crap, I've been reduced to an acquaintance?????

Both Savannah and Charleston (they're only an hour apart) are great cities to visit. Bring good walking shoes , you'll need them. There's a candy store on River Street ( not sure if it's East or West) that sell the best pralines I've ever eaten.
If you can, definitely swing by Charleston. Savannah is nice, but Charleston is the best city in the South. Best restaurants, best market (gullah women weave baskets and sell at the market - sort of expensive but pretty). Go to Cypress, or the Library or there is a great seafood restaurant near Rue St Jean (cannot remember the name) - gotta tell you I could list the good restaurants there for a long, long time. Fun to just wander after dinner and have drinks in various old hotel lobbies. Mills House is nice to stay at, but there are some really highly reputable B&Bs and historical homes that get rave reviews too. Also nice aquarium. When in Savannah, don't forget Forrest Gump. Folly Beach, near Charleston, is very nice too - we always stay in the condos right at the end of the main road. Super nice. Not too far to the nearest grocery.
  Re: Re: Savannah by Lorraine (" acquaintance of mi...)
"Crap, I've been reduced to an acquaintance?????" Bless his heart, he is so fickle...

sorry, back to the subject at hand!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Savannah by cjs ("Crap, I've been red...)
I tell you Jean, I'm broken. LOL

" gullah women weave baskets and sell at the market "

Sweet grass baskets. 3 years later, it still smells incredible. The Farmer's Market in Charleston is great. My wallet was empty when we left the Market.