Potato Scones
  Re: (...)
I promised Billy I would post this for him. Jean's post about lefske made me think of my Mother's Potato Scones. She couldn't remember the recipe, but her 87 year old younger sister did. Here's Tante Juliette's recipe:

1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 C mashed potatoes
3 Tbsp butter, cut into small cubes
1 egg, well beaten
1/3 C milk
1 Tbsp sugar

Mix the two flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt together. Cut the butter into the flour mixture, add the mashed potatoes, beaten egg, and milk. Mix well with a fork.

Turn dough out onto floured board, and knead about 10 seconds. Divide dough in half. Roll one half into a 1/4 inch thick circle. Cut into 6 pieces.

Repeat with 2nd half of dough.

Cook in a preheated 375 oven until well browned.

Split in half and butter them. Oh my!!!!!

NOTES:

I did the whole thing in the KitchenAid. The whole wheat flour was in the cold room, and I was too lazy to go get it, so used AP.
I didn't bother with the rolling pin, just patted it into a circle. I thought 1/4 inch was too skinny, so went with 1/2 inch, then cut the circle into sixths. I forgot how much they rose, but it worked out well.
I cooked them on top of the stove on a cast iron flat griddle (yes, Billy, I found it!). My Mother always made these on top of the wood stove when there was a fire going, so I figured it would work, and it did! Put them on a medium hot dry griddle, and cook until nicely browned, and cooked through. I forgot to time them, but I'm thinking maybe 4-5 minutes a side.They were fabulous!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Potato Scones by Lorraine (I promised Billy I w...)
This sounds fabulous, Lorraine! Thanks for posting. I'll bet they would be really good for breakfast. Yummmm.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Yummy, you are making my hungry and I just got done eating!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
See, didn't I tell you cast iron was good stuff? I'll have to make these.

I made your Quiche tonight too Lolly dear. There was one piece remaining when Carol and Dave left...I was good and only had one piece...they weren't I might mess with the recipe next time, but I DID follow it this time [amazing isn't it?]
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Potato Scones by bjcotton (See, didn't I tell y...)
"lefske" LEFSE, Lorraine

My, these sound good - duly copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potato Scones by cjs ("lefske" LEFSE, Lorr...)
"lefse"

I didn't think lefske looked right.

Took some to work this morning, heated them and served them with fresh rasberries that I had cooked down. My staff love me.
  Re: Re: Potato Scones by Lorraine ("lefse"[br][br]I did...)
No wonder your staff are happy campers Sweetie.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Potato Scones by bjcotton (No wonder your staff...)
thanks to an 'anon' this was brought up - I had completely forgotten them and I never got them made.

Now it's printed out and maybe this time around....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Potato Scones by cjs (thanks to an 'anon' ...)
How did I miss this the first time???? I'm lovin' these. They sure sound good for breakfast tomorrow!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Potato Scones by Harborwitch (How did I miss this ...)
They really re good. Cook them on an ungreased griddle, cast iron is great, not too high, as the outside will burn before the inside gets cooked. Enjoy!