It Never Fails Flaky Pie Crust
  Re: (...)
Having belonged to this forum for only a few months, several times there have been posts about being afraid to make a pie crust or will never try to make one again (this does not include those of you who chose to use the refrigerated or frozen pre-made shells!)

This reminded me of a pie crust recipe I used for my students, many of whom would shudder at the thought of even attempting to make one to those who swore they would never even try again (if they wanted to pass the class they had to!!!) Those students who swore never again have returned to making a homemade crust and still do, some 10 years later! Here is the recipe for those of you who are interested.

IT NEVER FAILS FLAKY PIE CRUST

This pie crust is light and flaky and tender and crisp. It also has a glorious butter flavor. It can be used for any type of pie, including a savory pie, and also for tarts or tartlets. If you can get your hands on commercial flour or bakery flour that is a plus; pastry flour, which is readily available these days at grocery stores is also a good choice. These flours will make the utmost tender-most crust around. Of course, AP flour can be used and will also make a tender crust, just not to the extent as the former.

YIELD: One 9” pie shell; one 9-1/2” to 10” tart shell; or 36 one inch tartlet shells.

INGREDIENTS:

8 ounces unsalted butter, cold
1-1/3 cups plus 4 teaspoons commercial or pastry flour ---
-- OR –
1-1/3 cups AP flour, measured by dip and sweep method
1/4 teaspoon salt (use 1-1/2 times the salt for savory fillings)
1/8 teaspoon baking powder (use double the salt if not using this)
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 tablespoons ice water
1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS:

1. Divide butter into 5 tablespoons and 3 tablespoons. Cut the butter into 3/4 inch cubes
2. Wrap each part in plastic wrap and place the smaller amount in the freezer and the larger amount back into the refrigerator. Keep both in for at least 30 minutes.
3. Place the flour, salt, and baking powder in a zippy lock freezer bag and place in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
4. Place the flour mixture into the bowl of the food processor with the metal blade and process for 5 seconds to combine. Set the bag aside.
5. Add the larger amount of butter cubes to the flour and process for 20 seconds or until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the remaining butter from the freezer and pulse until all of the frozen butter is the size of peas. Move the contents around with a fork to check this.)
6. Add the least amount of ice water and the vinegar to the work bowl and pulse 6 times.
7. Pinch a small amount of the mixture together between fingers. If it does not hold together, add half of the remaining ice water and pulse 3 times. Try the pinch test again. If needed, add the remaining amount of water and pulse 3 more times. The dough will be in particles and will NOT hold together unless it is pinched together. You want this!
8. Place mixture back into the freezer bag. Using your knuckles and fingers, knead the mixture by alternating the pressing it down from the outside of the bag, with the knuckles and heels of your hands until the mixture holds together in one piece and feels slightly stretchy when pu lled.
9. Flatten dough into a disk and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes or even over night.

STORAGE: Will keep in the frig for 2-3 days; frozen for 3 months.

UNDERSTANDING THE CHEMISTRY:

Commercial or pastry flour will afford the most tenderness and flakiness but it is the addition of the vinegar that will relax the dough without losing the flakiness. This makes it easier to roll out, will shrink less, and will make the dough even more tender. The baking powder lifts and aerates the dough slightly without making it weak, but also makes it more tender.

With this particular recipe, the secret is the division of the addition of the butter. With the first addition, this prevents the flour from absorbing too much water which in turn forms gluten which makes the crust tough. The addition of the remaining butter serves to separate the layers, resulting in the flakiness.

This crust will NOT shrink or become distorted as other butter crust recipes will do because of the avoidance of developing the gluten.

NOTES: If making a no-bake pie filling, brush the crust with an egg white or egg wash and bake. This will keep provide an additional “barrier” so that the liquid from the filling will not soak thru the crust and make for a soggy crust. I also do this with pies that will be fully baked. It just makes an even more crispy crust. This step is not necessary for the success of this recipe.

Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: It Never Fails Flaky Pie Crust by MUSICMAKER (Having belonged to t...)
Thanks for this post -- consider it copied and pasted to my library of recipes. I will let you know when I make it and give you my thoughts if you want them. I am only partial to ready-made crust because of its ease. I am always in awe of people who can make an excellent flaky crust - with minimal effort.

Thank you.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: It Never Fails Flaky Pie Crust by luvnit (Thanks for this post...)
Laura, yes, would love to hear your comments whenever you make this. It really is easy. It's minimally time consuming because of cutting the butter and having to wait the 30 minutes, but during that time you can be preparing the dry ingredients. And if you have kids around who are always good at interrupting mom when she does "anything" , that 30 minutes can turn into 30 hours!!! I've made this with the butter being in the freezer for 15 minutes. I also keep butter in the freezer anyway, stockpile it when on sale!! In that case, I don't even cut it and return it to the freezer, just take a stick out of the box, cut it up and go. Then take a stick from the rige and cut that up and use right away, meaning the dry ingreds are already in the FP, waiting for the first addition of the butter which is from the frig. Shortens the prep time. Guess I should have put this with the recipe, huh? Think I'll go back and add it!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: It Never Fails Flaky Pie Crust by MUSICMAKER (Laura, yes, would lo...)
I stockpile butter also 'on sale'! and only thaw it when necessary. All your comments are soooo helpful especially for a 'mother' and her time constraints. Thanks so much! It gives me encouragement.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
The recipe I use now always ends up turning out well. It is from a White-Chocolate, Banana-Cream Pie recipe I've been using for 12 years, but I have also used it for other things, and no matter what, when I make it, people always comment on how wonderful the crust is.

However, even though it turns out well in the end, it often gives me fits. I believe the problem is temperature related: it starts out cold enough that it breaks into clumps instead of rolling well, but by the time it gets to the stage where it rolls nicely, the heat and humidity have already, quickly made it stick to the rolling pin (regardless of the amount of additional flour used) and or rip. I have even tried rolling it between sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap, but that's even worse, because then it sticks to them, and is even harder to handle. Ultimately, the only reason to crust turns out so well that people rave about it is that I transfer it, a piece at a time, to the bottom of the pie pan and reassemble it as one would a jigsaw puzzle. After that, nobody would even have a clue about the difficulties. Only ONCE (in those 12 years) have I ever had the classic crust where I could wrap it around the rolling pin to transfer it to the pie pan. That was in Florida, where my apartment was air conditioned, but even then, MOST of the times I have used this recipe were in that SAME apartment.

So, either there's something else I need to do or change, or I'm just a complete "crust klutz" (try saying THAT ten times, fast!).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Thanks, Linda, I'll keep this handy! Should be a great one to give to the kids.

Lab, there are lots of complete crust klutzs here, I'm sure!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: It Never Fails Flaky Pie Crust by pjcooks (Thanks, Linda, I'll ...)
Ya'll are trying to make me into a pastry person, aren't you?? Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: It Never Fails Flaky Pie Crust by Lorraine (Ya'll are trying to ...)
To the top for Luvfud!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Thank you, thank you thank you thank you
AJ