Cleaning fruits and veggies
  Re: (...)
Have any of you out there run into the issue of being unable to get that white film off your fruit and veggies?

A couple weeks ago in the food section of the newspaper there was an article on washing fruits and veggies prior to use despite what packages may say about the items being "pre-washed", and, the potential hazards of skipping this advice.

Already doing this , I always have difficulty removing that white, opaque film, wax, or whatever it is. Have used those produce "washing" products that are out, without success.

The article in the paper recommended to wash the produce in cool tap water and use one of those washing solutions or a very mild antibacterial hand soap and rinse very thoroughly. The next step is to rinse the produce with white vinegar, straight up, and rinse thoroughly. Tho the directions did not state this, on some things I gently rubbed the item and then rinsed. WOW! GONE! Apples are red, red; purple plums are purple!! -- no gray-ish film covering anything up! Can also taste the difference in the skin/peel!!!

Just thought of sharing this info with all of you! It's just nice to know that something so simple, and inexpensive, can do such a big] job!!!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Cleaning fruits and veggies by MUSICMAKER (Have any of you out ...)
I had a real problem this spring with plums. It didn't matter what I washed them with, there was a coating on them that tasted metallic. They were inedible. Interesting about the antibacterial soap. I've read some articles on it lately about how they may not be safe. I'll see if I can dig them up.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cleaning fruits and veggies by Lorraine (I had a real problem...)
Lorraine, know exactly what you are talking about. It is NO exaggeration that literally everything that is brought into this state is covered with this “stuff”. And it DOES affect the taste.

Don’t use the antibacterial soap on any food product. The article in the paper recommended this, a scientist of some sort. Not enough to convince me to use it. Do use the white vinegar, tho. Purchased one of those spray bottles, filled it with the white vinegar and keep it right by the sink, ready for use on produce.

Made blueberry muffins this a.m., which prompted me to post this “remedy”. You know how they have that dusty gray-ish hue? Cleaninig with the white viinegar produced a blueberry that was actually a vibrant blue except in photos or plastic!!!

If you find those articles on the antibacterial soap, would you please post what they have to say. Interested in that and thank you for doing it!
Vive Bene! Spesso L'Amore! Di Risata Molto!

Buon Appetito!

Linda
  Re: Re: Cleaning fruits and veggies by MUSICMAKER (Lorraine, know exact...)
I actually use fit to clean fruit and veg. I will clean it with that and then rinse with water. Seems to work on all that waxy coating fairly well.